Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: San Diego New Years Day run?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
siverson
Anyone up for an early New Years Day drive this year?

We had a small group last year:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...diego+new+years

-Steve

siverson
I propose we meet here:

UPDATED:

meeting at the "On The Border" lot at the mall (North County Fair, east side of the mall)

at 7:30 on January 1, 2015 and head up/around Palomar with several stops along the way.

I'm in (914) and my brother (993)...

-Steve
Cuda911
Hmmm... If I'm not hung over, passed out, or otherwise incapacitated, sounds fun.

There are two other San Diego area New Year Run threads. Prolly should be combined.
effutuo101
Still on jack stands...maybe 2015 will be the year!
Alphaogre
I will probably be able to make it, unless my New Year's Eve gose horribly bad drunk.gif or incredibly good shades.gif but that hasn't happened since back in the early college days, so count me in...
siverson
> Alphaogre
> so count me in

Great!

-Steve
Cuda911
Any status update? Some other local Porsche guys are also organizing a run in the same area for 1/1/15. We should combine them.

I can provide details of the other run once I have them, if you are interested.
madmax914
What about the Rose Bowl????

Go Ducks!!!!!!
Cuda911
OK, the other Porsche New Year's run group is meeting at the "On The Border" lot at the mall (North County Fair, east side of the mall). 7:30 a.m. departure.

How about combining the two groups?

Alphaogre
I would be open to that...
siverson
> meeting at the "On The Border" lot at the mall (North County Fair, east side of the mall). 7:30 a.m. departure.

Yup - sounds good to me!

-Steve
Cuda911
OK, perfecto! That way, those of us in 914s can get ahead of the 993 crowd and piss them off on the way up, and smoke' em on the way down! smile.gif

I'll let the guys know to expect us at On the Border's parking lot.

However, keep an eye on the weather... current forecast is that it may rain, so likely it will cancel if raining.
PThompson509
How far are you planning on driving? My 914 doesn't have a huge range (70 miles on a good day).
Cuda911
Only 70 miles range? Why? I imagine 70 miles should be enough, to at least find a place to fill up.
oldschool
QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Dec 28 2014, 09:39 PM) *

Only 70 miles range? Why? I imagine 70 miles should be enough, to at least find a place to fill up.

Because he's green piratenanner.gif electric... blink.gif
Cuda911
Ah, OK.

Can't he throw a spare set of double-A's into the glove box? Park it in the sun for an hour? Wind it up tighter? Get a longer extension cord?
siverson
I'd love to see your electric 914!
PThompson509
QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Dec 29 2014, 11:20 PM) *

Ah, OK.

Can't he throw a spare set of double-A's into the glove box? Park it in the sun for an hour? Wind it up tighter? Get a longer extension cord?

Man, I can't imagine how many double-A's that would take - somehow I doubt they would fit into my glove box. They *might* fit onto a trailer tho. lol-2.gif

I keep toying with the idea of building a range extender - putting a generator on a trailer, turning my electric 914 into a hybrid. But then, it seems like it would be like sheeplove.gif

(70 miles is more than enough for me most of the time - my daily drive is never over 50 miles).

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Alphaogre
You need a KERS on that thing!
PThompson509
QUOTE(Alphaogre @ Dec 30 2014, 09:44 PM) *

You need a KERS on that thing!

It's built-in already - it's a BLDC motor (brushless DC) that operates very similar to AC motors. smile.gif
siverson
Looks like it's going to be a bit chilly, but the weather should cooperate. See everyone in the morning and Happy New Year!

7:30am:

On The Border Mexican Grill & Cantina
298 E Via Rancho Pkwy
Escondido, CA 92025

https://goo.gl/maps/o61po

-Steve

eric9144
So you guys still going? Here's Temecula today:
Click to view attachment

And Rainbow (not so much)
Click to view attachment

It's going to be ugly on Palomar, be on your toes, might be icy.
Cuda911
I'm trying to find out if anyone else is going. I just sent a PM to the guys on Rennlist.

Probably will be crowded with everyone headed up to see the snow.

Steve, do you have a planned route of the others don't show?
siverson
I don't have specific plans, but something like this (below). Just up and back down clockwise and stop whenever.

I'm open to any ideas...

-Steve

Cuda911
OK. ED Hughes (the guy on Rennlist that is organizing the run for the other group) says he still plans to be there. Not sure if he has another route in mind. We can figure it out in the morning.
Alphaogre
Plans seem to be falling apart for me. mad.gif

If I don't make it, be sure to be careful for snow melting across the road on the corners!
siverson
only 1 other 914 showed up, but started as a fun morning until... crunch for one of the 911s. im not sure what happened, i was about a minute behind all this.

my brother and i stopped for a couple minutes but clearly we were going to be of no help at this point so we turned around and ended up doing an out and back instead of a loop.

so sorry to see the 911 get crunched.

siverson
siverson
siverson
siverson
siverson
Cuda911
Hey! That's me in the rear view mirror pic (post #28). !

Beauty of a 914 you have there!!!

Yeah, the crunched '84 911 put a damper on the rest of the trip. I feel awful for Paul, sucky way to start the new year.
yeahmag
Ouch! Did the 911 run wide or did the F150 cut across the double yellow?
Cuda911
The police officer came to the conclusion that the 911 went wide.

If he did go wide (it was very hard to tell), it was only by a very small amount, but it's a very tight narrow corner, so even a few inches wide is not good.

I was in the car right behind it. A corner that was still in shadows, so possibly some ice. There was frost on the side of the road.

Same place as I blew my engine last month, so I already had the creeps driving it.
Alphaogre
That was my biggest worry, the snow or ice on or melting across the road. Mike, that was the 911 we followed on the fwy heading to C&C last month right? Glad everyone seemed to be ok.
Cuda911
Yep, saw your Post #26 above, and was keeping it in mind the entire drive. In fact, my SO kept telling me not to go, due to all the recent snow.

No one was injured at least. My shoes smell like gasoline from the ruptured fuel tank.

Not sure if that's the same car.... I was in my silver 914 for the C&C trip, so as soon as everyone got on the freeway, I got left to bring up the rear. The far, far distant rear.
siverson
Any San Diego New Years Day runs planned for this year yet? Or should I try to organize one?

Might be fun to have a smaller 914-only run (with no crashing!)...

-Steve
eric9144
QUOTE(siverson @ Dec 30 2016, 05:34 PM) *

Any San Diego New Years Day runs planned for this year yet? Or should I try to organize one?

Might be fun to have a smaller 914-only run (with no crashing!)...

-Steve

Rain and cold all weekend and into next week unsure.gif
garrettlee2
If GMR is snowed out maybe we can head down south and join you
siverson
> Rain and cold all weekend and into next week

I've got wipers! And heat!

-Steve
eric9144
QUOTE(siverson @ Dec 30 2016, 08:18 PM) *

> Rain and cold all weekend and into next week

I've got wipers! And heat!

-Steve

Sigh...today would have been perfect slap.gif
No rain, just cold.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.