Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Poll: Side stripes- where to trim them.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cuda911
Poll time. I love the side stripes and added them to my silver car. I ordered a set for my blue one, and they just arrived.

Here is the pickiest poll you may ever see:

What do you think? Trim them before the wheel well, or wrap around into the wheel well?

I trimmed the stripes on my silver one just before the wheel well, but it seems that that LE's, etc. had the stripes go all the way across.

Before I put the stripes on my blue one, I thought I'd do a quick poll. Trim before the wheel well? (like on my silver one), or run all the way to the edge of the wheel well? (like in the blue pic below, not my car but mine will look like this if I install the stripes this way).

(Also, I think they look better 1.25 inches above the top of the rocker, like on my silver one, rather than 1/2 inch above like on that blue one. Opinions?)
ripper911
I've been told that they are supposed to wrap into the wheel wells by a knowledgeable (if not well liked) 914 expert.

I cut mine just before the lip of the wheel wells when I installed mine, but I'm not going to add to them to make it look "right". bootyshake.gif

IPB Image
EdwardBlume
Trim short looks better IMHO
Big Len
I had to laugh at your thread Cuda. With all the threads in the garage dealing with ignition problems, tranny issues, rust remedies, cars on jack stands for years, you start a poll asking about moving a stripe an inch in either direction LMAO.

Having said that, glad to see another person just as anal as me, as I changed the "E" on the engine grill cover because it had a tiny amount of discoloration for which I had my balls busted, so let me give you an opinion.

Stripes like yours should be low to the rocker as to soften the contrast between the black and the body color, sorta like a pinstripe does to a two tone paint job. I would go to the wheel well, but it hardly matters visually. But really, either way is OK IMO.

Really like both your cars. You've come a long way in a short time.
AvalonFal
I looked at some old 914 mag ads of striped cars & the stripes on those cars wrap around the wheel well lips. I will add that my '74 has trimmed stripes & I do like that look better.
Click to view attachment
7TPorsh
I trimmed mine because they don't wrap straight. Line changes at the corners. 3/4 view looks weird wrapped.
VegasRacer
Not wrapped on the new 914 R coupe. smilie_flagge6.gif
Johny Blackstain
Wrapped, like it was when the old man bought it smile.gif
Mike Fitton
Didn't wrap mine, I liked it better cut right before the lip. These were mostly dealer installed add-ons and they were easier to install if wrapped around the edge then just cutoff with a razor blade on the inside.

Click to view attachment
Cuda911
Thanks for the feedback, guys, much appreciated.

Yeah, what Mike Fitton says is pretty much what my thoughts were: It's way easier to wrap around and cut off, than to do the careful cutting along the lip.

I think the "negative" version like Johnny B posted looks good wrapped, but the "positive" version like I have looks better trimmed. As stated by 7TPorsche, it can look funny from angles other than straight on from the side.

Trimmed it will be. I'll post pix in my '73 914 thread once I get around to putting the stripes on.

Glad my thread gave you a good chuckle there, Big Len! smile.gif

[I changed out ALL of the deck lid letters, since they were slightly pitted]
Justinp71
I did the wrap at about 1" above the bottom. Edit- I guess on a flared car you have to wrap. On a narrow body car I'd vote for the trimmed version.
tumamilhem
They are supposed to be wrapped around and just inside each wheel weel.

I prefer the script to be centered between the wheel wells instead of far forward only over the door. This is correct for the LE negative stripes. I have seen the positive stripes both ways in ads. I think they look better centered than forward.

And yes, they should sit higher than just over the rocker. About 2x the height of the bottom narrow positive stripe.
7TPorsh
Trimmed

Click to view attachment
RickS
What you did on the silver car - height and not wrapped is perfect - and I don't use that word casually.
Cuda911
Thanks, Rick. I plan to do the same with the blue one.

Before putting on the stripes, I played with it a lot on the computer, and looked at hundreds of photos.

I think the wider space beneath the strip (like on the silver one) looks better than the "standard" install which leaves just a narrow strip of the paint showing beneath the stripe. Otherwise, the stripe and the rocker panel don't have enough visual separation, in my opinion.

Again, it may have been an "ease of install" thing by the dealers. Way easier to run the stripe just above the rockers, than it is to measure multiple points to ensure an even spacing when installed higher up.

Also, I like a the center block portion of the middle stripe to evenly frame the letters on the door. If you look at the Porsche ad in Post #5 above, it looks pretty random of they installed the letter spacing, with the "P" right up to the door gap.
Starlack
Hello
OK .
Here is a Picture from my Car.

Click to view attachment
Cuda911
Interesting, Starlack, never saw them on the rockers before. Excellent looking car.

OK, the stripes are on! I did them similar as on my silver car. Oddly, although I bought them from the same vendor, the letters were a bit wider font and several inches longer than the set I purchased for the silver one.

Before and after pix:
EdwardBlume
Now that's a good looking 914!
idea.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.