Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New year run Foothill style
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
oldschool
Just putting it out there anyone want to dust off the Porsche and try to meet some place
maybe a short run and breakfast. you know me driving.gif =barf.gif But i'll give it a go lol-2.gif

Actually if i'm not mistaken New years day there is a big car hang out at Irwindale race track...Put on by Jay leno rolleyes.gif

If not maybe just to BS..
76-914
poke.gif You blind Old Fart, look at the thread "New Years Day Hangover Run". I think Andy is going but haven't heard back from him. Don't forget to bring your Barf Bag. av-943.gif
phatnine11
It sounds good to me. Maybe we can find another guy who parked his truck into the mountain?
Cesar
oldschool
QUOTE(76-914 @ Dec 23 2014, 09:14 PM) *

poke.gif You blind Old Fart, look at the thread "New Years Day Hangover Run". I think Andy is going but haven't heard back from him. Don't forget to bring your Barf Bag. av-943.gif

poke.gif I'm talking to the 914 dude's that are near the foothills billy chair.gif av-943.gif
oldschool
QUOTE(oldschool @ Dec 23 2014, 09:26 PM) *

poke.gif I'm talking to the 914 dude's that are near the foothills billy chair.gif av-943.gif

lets chat Cesar... aktion035.gif
76-914
QUOTE(phatnine11 @ Dec 23 2014, 09:20 PM) *

It sounds good to me. Maybe we can find another guy who parked his truck into the mountain?
Cesar

I'd forgotten about that drunk. lol-2.gif What blew me away was the fact that Mark had a handheld SSB with him. What were the odds?

QUOTE(oldschool @ Dec 23 2014, 09:26 PM) *

Now I'm confused. What was the intent of your post. To organize a run or a "drive in meet"? confused24.gif
914-300Hemi
icon_bump.gif
Any update??????
oldschool
waiting for any response from anyone that can't travel 2hrs to wine country chair.gif
this again can be a meet and greet / breakfast after a cruz shades.gif
olsib914
foot hills of LA or foot hills of San Diego? decisions decisions
Palmer
oldschool
QUOTE(olsib914 @ Dec 28 2014, 09:05 AM) *

foot hills of LA or foot hills of San Diego? decisions decisions
Palmer

GMR or Azuza .....
phatnine11
Azusa to Baldy sounds good to me. What is the weather and road conditions forecast?? idea.gif
oldschool
QUOTE(phatnine11 @ Dec 28 2014, 08:01 PM) *

Azusa to Baldy sounds good to me. What is the weather and road conditions forecast?? idea.gif

Not sure yet, If not I'll take a drive over to your place ...just to BS rolleyes.gif
phatnine11
QUOTE(oldschool @ Dec 28 2014, 08:03 PM) *

QUOTE(phatnine11 @ Dec 28 2014, 08:01 PM) *

Not sure yet, If not I'll take a drive over to your place ...just to BS rolleyes.gif

How about lunch over in Baldwin Park???
Socalandy

Back from Xmas with the Fam. When and where?? I'm still up for it...
Montreal914
Would love to join, Jaime driving.gif

...but will still be away sad.gif

Next time beerchug.gif
Tbrown4x4

[/quote]
GMR or Azuza .....
[/quote]

Would that be Glendora Mountain Road by any chance? Our driving instructor used to take us up there to practice. Back in 1980, hardly a weekend passed that we didn't hear about a crash up there.
phatnine11
There is a Starbuck's in a shopping center, left side on the corner of Azusa Ave and Rte 66 ( Foothill). Is 6:45 to early? I figure we can head up the hill around 7:15. I will check to see what the weather will be like, the concern is black ice. We can head up Azusa Canyon to the East fork, hang a right. Next will be a left at the Baldy/GMR fork. At Baldy, we hang another right and head down the Mountain. Plenty of places for breakfast, if anyone is interested. Please let me know what you guys think.
Cesar
oldschool
Man! headbang.gif My alternator light is coming on and my led dash lights are showing red, then green,and back red again spoke with my personal guru today...Need to try a few things out tomorrow.
Socalandy
QUOTE(phatnine11 @ Dec 29 2014, 03:30 PM) *

There is a Starbuck's in a shopping center, left side on the corner of Azusa Ave and Rte 66 ( Foothill). Is 6:45 to early? I figure we can head up the hill around 7:15. I will check to see what the weather will be like, the concern is black ice. We can head up Azusa Canyon to the East fork, hang a right. Next will be a left at the Baldy/GMR fork. At Baldy, we hang another right and head down the Mountain. Plenty of places for breakfast, if anyone is interested. Please let me know what you guys think.
Cesar

This was the run several years ago and a fun road with lunch options on the top. Oldschool can ride with me if his car is not ready.
oldschool
piratenanner.gif that may be a option drooley.gif
Socalandy
How about this for a plan,

Thur. 8AM or earlier.

Starbucks,
133 West Route 66
Glendora, CA

Departing at 9:14 up Glendora Mtn. Rd. and Stop at Newman point and baldy for the view/rest stops. We can make more stops for photo ops and then to lunch.

The Hat Cafe
857 North Central Avenue
Upland, CA

The road was closed on the 18th so I'll check tomorrow to confirm its open for the run.
phatnine11
QUOTE(Socalandy @ Dec 29 2014, 07:20 PM) *

Thur. 8AM Starbucks, 133 West Route 66
Glendora, CA

Departing at 9:14 up Glendora Mtn. Rd. and Stop at Newman point for the view/rest stop. We can make more stops for photo ops and then to The Hat Cafe for lunch.

857 North Central Avenue
Upland, CA

The road was closed on the 18th so I'll check tomorrow to confirm its open for the run.

Route sounds good to me and who could pass on The Hat! I saw on this evening's news that the snow level will be down to 2000 ft and there will be road closures on Hwy 2. I'm not sure if this will affect GMR or the Baldy road. Old School, let's get together on the 31st and check the road going to Baldy. WE can then let the group know what the status is. You game??
Cesar
Socalandy
QUOTE(oldschool @ Dec 23 2014, 10:00 AM) *

Just putting it out there anyone want to dust off the Porsche and try to meet some place
maybe a short run and breakfast. you know me driving.gif =barf.gif But i'll give it a go lol-2.gif

Actually if i'm not mistaken New years day there is a big car hang out at Irwindale race track...Put on by Jay leno rolleyes.gif

If snow/road closures are an issue is this Irwindale track thing for real? It can be our backup location. Does anyone have details???
oldschool
QUOTE(phatnine11 @ Dec 29 2014, 07:32 PM) *

QUOTE(Socalandy @ Dec 29 2014, 07:20 PM) *

Thur. 8AM Starbucks, 133 West Route 66
Glendora, CA

Departing at 9:14 up Glendora Mtn. Rd. and Stop at Newman point for the view/rest stop. We can make more stops for photo ops and then to The Hat Cafe for lunch.

857 North Central Avenue
Upland, CA

Route sounds good to me and who could pass on The Hat! I saw on this evening's news that the snow level will be down to 2000 ft and there will be road closures on Hwy 2. I'm not sure if this will affect GMR or the Baldy road. Old School, let's get together on the 31st and check the road going to Baldy. WE can then let the group know what the status is. You game??
Cesar

Sounds Good Cecar piratenanner.gif btw Andy my Screen shop is 1 block from the Hat...And down the street they have the best Pastrami...in town beer.gif
oldschool
QUOTE(Socalandy @ Dec 29 2014, 07:49 PM) *

QUOTE(oldschool @ Dec 23 2014, 10:00 AM) *

If snow/road closures are an issue is this Irwindale track thing for real? It can be our backup location. Does anyone have details???

I was there last year I'll check again.
olsib914
I am in and will be there with the faded red 72
Palmer
ndfrigi
Hi teeners, I might be joining driving my 75 1.8 FI. No 1st gear I hope it will be fine on the twisty road.
phatnine11
Gents, From the county website for road conditions. The road from GMR to Baldy is closed. They might open the road on Jan 1, the key word is "might".

http://dpw.lacounty.gov/roadclosures/map.cfm
BigFour1973
QUOTE(phatnine11 @ Dec 30 2014, 06:45 PM) *

Gents, From the county website for road conditions. The road from GMR to Baldy is closed. They might open the road on Jan 1, the key word is "might".

http://dpw.lacounty.gov/roadclosures/map.cfm

They close it every year for new years and 4th of july because everyone loves to go up there and light off fire works. Plus its raining up there right now.
oldschool
OK if that happen lets race up and down the back side of the foothills ! Or lets meet and BS some place. rolleyes.gif
oldschool
sad.gif The Irwindale meet was this past Sunday..... headbang.gif
BigFour1973
QUOTE(oldschool @ Dec 30 2014, 08:10 PM) *

OK if that happen lets race up and down the back side of the foothills ! Or lets meet and BS some place. rolleyes.gif

How about a run up azusa canyon to east fork to GMR and finish on the bottom? its only the Ridge thats closed
phatnine11
QUOTE(BigFour1973 @ Dec 31 2014, 08:32 AM) *

How about a run up azusa canyon to east fork to GMR and finish on the bottom? its only the Ridge thats closed

The road from the east fork to GMR is also closed. Will it be opened tomorrow, who knows. From what I have seen on the news, it doesn't look like the road will be opened. Let's look for an update later today.
Cesar
oldschool
QUOTE(phatnine11 @ Dec 31 2014, 11:57 AM) *

QUOTE(BigFour1973 @ Dec 31 2014, 08:32 AM) *

The road from the east fork to GMR is also closed. Will it be opened tomorrow, who knows. From what I have seen on the news, it doesn't look like the road will be opened. Let's look for an update later today.
Cesar

popcorn[1].gif ..yes lets check later tonight.
oldschool
piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif It looks like some how I solved the charging problem....Now to take it for a test drive driving.gif rolleyes.gif
BigFour1973
QUOTE(oldschool @ Dec 31 2014, 03:46 PM) *

piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif It looks like some how I solved the charging problem....Now to take it for a test drive driving.gif rolleyes.gif

Same thing happened to me, i drove 20 miles came to a stop, went to restart and it cranked slow. When I got home the battery had a few volts left and wouldnt turn over at all. I recently replaced the Voltage Reg, so i unplugged it, and plugged it in again firmly. Put the trickle charger on and drove it today through seal beach, huntington beach, and caught the 405 from newport to round back to long beach. and all is well cheer.gif
oldschool
Ok so its on!....GMR Or Asuza ? I'm heading to a New Year Party so I'll be checking my phone for any up dates. piratenanner.gif
BigFour1973
QUOTE(oldschool @ Dec 31 2014, 05:17 PM) *

Ok so its on!....GMR Or Asuza ? I'm heading to a New Year Party so I'll be checking my phone for any up dates. piratenanner.gif

Only question i have it. What is the suggested route as of now?
EdwardBlume
Keep and eye out for Ponch and John! av-943.gif
phatnine11

As of 18:00 today, the road from GMR to Baldy is closed. Is there a plan 'B'? I will check the website later tonight and see if it's been updated.
Cesar
BigFour1973
QUOTE(phatnine11 @ Dec 31 2014, 06:16 PM) *

As of 18:00 today, the road from GMR to Baldy is closed. Is there a plan 'B'? I will check the website later tonight and see if it's been updated.
Cesar

That's the ridge that's closed ( the single lane 2 direction road) but if you take gmr to the top and head towards east fork and go over the bridge. You can take azusa canyon back down to the 210.
Socalandy
Anywhere you guys want to meet, hang out and drive a bit and Im game but its getting late
BigFour1973
QUOTE(Socalandy @ Dec 31 2014, 06:42 PM) *

Anywhere you guys want to meet, hang out and drive a bit and Im game but its getting late

Well to be completely honest I'm 50/50 on making the meet up. I'm just giving some useful information for you guys to go off of. Being that this is my first new years that I am 21, I feel that I will be getting home about the time the group will be arriving at the meet up beer.gif beerchug.gif beer3.gif barf.gif barf.gif yellowsleep[1].gif
Socalandy
The road closures really took the wind outa this run but maybe we can still have a small group meet. Im still tuned in

Happy New Year
phatnine11
Ok gents,
Let's meet @ 7:30 @ the Glendora Starbucks. We can give the road a run and see how far we get. We could always find a place for some breakfast if the run peter's out.
Happy New Year to all!
Cesar

Starbucks,
133 West Route 66
Glendora, CA
olsib914
OOPs way over slept
Happy New Year
Palmer
oldschool
laugh.gif Ok 2 of us showed piratenanner.gif ....we decided to go have some Menudo ....it was so good.
Thanks Cesar for breakfast. Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.