Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: heat exchanger question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TROJANMAN
can i swap my 75 2.0 HE's with a pre 75 car? and if so, will this help performance? and...........does anyone have some? and.............would anyone want mine?
thanks in advance smile.gif
Allan
Yes you can. I am doing the same thing to mine. If you look at the '75-'76 H/E's you will notice that the exhaust goes forward first then to the back which I understand dosn't flow well. You will need to also replace all of the tubes that go to the heater flapper valves and the exhaust hanger, plus a new muffler.
TROJANMAN
are these all items i can scrape from a parts car and easily install, or will i need to make modifications?
Allan
QUOTE (glstrojan @ Feb 3 2005, 10:14 AM)
are these all items i can scrape from a parts car and easily install

It's my first time so I hope so. Actually I believe as long as you can find the parts everything should bolt up with no problem.
Root_Werks
Shameless plug here. rolleyes.gif

If you live in CA, don't you have to keep the ability to have the CAT on for the 75-76 914's?

Anyway, I have a Bursch header w/cat bypass. Used, nice shape. PM me if you want it cheap. Just in case you decide to stick with the stock set up.

Yeah, the 73-74' 2.0 is the better set up by far. wink.gif
Dave_Darling
Do a search. I posted a list of what you need from the earlier cars a little while back...

--DD
double-a
agree.gif

i referred to that list a few weeks ago when i began looking for the necessary parts.

~a
MarkG
quote" To use the 2.0 heat exchangers (or SSIs) on a 75-76 914 (either 1.8 or 2.0), you will need:

The 2.0 exchangers
The 2.0 muffler
The 2.0 muffler hanger
2 muffler gaskets
4 2.0 exhaust gaskets (the copper rings)
8 exhaust nuts (usually best to replace them)
All of the heater hardware except for some hoses. That means--

• 2 S-shaped ducts from the fan shroud to the exchangers
• 2 J-shaped tubes from the large holes in the engine tin to the S-ducts
• 2 Extension pipes from the exchangers to the flapper valves
• 2 Flapper valves
• 2 Hoses from the flapper valves to the heater channels in the chassis

You can actually use the 75-76 flapper valves and the hoses; but the flappers can be a real pain to remove from the late exchangers (or the early extension pipes), and the hoses often need to be replaced anyway.

If you don't get the heater hardware, the exhaust will still function--but the heat won't."

from Dave's post.... will be doing this myself someday....

Rhodes71/914
I am about to do this as well and will be moving everything from my 1.7 to my 75 2.0.

The question I have is what copper exhaust gaskets to use the 1.7 (since the HE are 1.7s) or 2.0 (since the heads are 2.0)
Dave_Darling
That points out one error in my post above. The copper gaskets go with the heads, not with the exchangers. So you need the copper gaskets for whichever cylinder heads you have.

--DD
Dominic
QUOTE (glstrojan @ Feb 3 2005, 10:08 AM)
can i swap my 75 2.0 HE's with a pre 75 car? and if so, will this help performance?

Yes it will definately help with performance, the earlier cars had 95HP and your car has 87HP with the smog crap and restrictive exhaust. Disconnect the smog pump, cap off the smog injectors and put the early exhaust system on your car for some free HP...Well maybe not free but it's just waiting to be let out. If you don't need the heat, you could probably sqeeze a few more ponies out with a header.

FREE HORSE POWER beerchug.gif
Rhodes71/914
QUOTE (Dave_Darling @ Feb 4 2005, 12:19 PM)
That points out one error in my post above. The copper gaskets go with the heads, not with the exchangers. So you need the copper gaskets for whichever cylinder heads you have.

--DD

Thanks Dave, luckily I ordered the right ones.
scotty914
two tricks to get the HE to seal to the head better are:

take a long file and file the HE where they go to the head so they are flat and parallel

also take the copper sealing ring and heat it up with a propane torch as haot as you can get it with out melting it, then drop it in to a bucket of water, this will soften it
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.