Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Additional caliper for ebrake setup
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
got914?
Was looking at the rear and trying to see if an additional caliper from say an rx7 for a hydro ebrake setup would be possible.
Anybody ever toy with the thought of this ?
mgp4591
QUOTE(got914? @ Dec 24 2014, 03:21 PM) *

Was looking at the rear and trying to see if an additional caliper from say an rx7 for a hydro ebrake setup would be possible.

Someone awhile back posted a pic of an electric actuated e-brake caliper. I know in Utah you can't have a hydraulic e-brake- I thought once about using a Mico lock for e-brake and the state code says it needs to be mechanical, but that's for modern vehicles and may not apply to a vintage registered car.
Anyone have info on the electric parking brake option?
type47
What's the matter w/ stock? Send the calipers to Eric Shea at PMB Performance in UT. His products will make for an easy solution to whatever problems you are having.
Mike Bellis
I'm planning to run a Wilwood Spot Caliper (12 O'Clock). It's on the list for 2015. I have the parts to make this electronically actuated but you could use the stock E brake handle. They are pretty cheap for a universal solution. They are available in various rotor widths.

Click to view attachment
Mark Henry
QUOTE(got914? @ Dec 24 2014, 05:21 PM) *

In Ontario it's not legal, it wouldn't get passed on an above board safety check.
mgp4591
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Dec 24 2014, 05:14 PM) *

I'm planning to run a Wilwood Spot Caliper (12 O'Clock). It's on the list for 2015. I have the parts to make this electronically actuated but you could use the stock E brake handle. They are pretty cheap for a universal solution. They are available in various rotor widths.

Click to view attachment

Being a universal type, does it come with an easily adaptable bracket? Looks sweet and just the ticket! idea.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Dec 25 2014, 12:01 AM) *

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Dec 24 2014, 05:14 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Being a universal type, does it come with an easily adaptable bracket? Looks sweet and just the ticket! idea.gif

I built a bracket for this setup years ago, but never ran them on the street.

Click to view attachment

The late Wes Hildreth put a pair of them on one of Mike Floyd's 914s. Mike quickly found out that if you set the park brake when hot, you have to jack the car up, pull the wheel, and hammer the hell out of the park brake caliper to get it to release. I was at Wes' shop when Mike demonstrated it.

If you look on Wilwood's site, you will notice that even they stopped selling them for use as a park brake in their kits. They went to the small drum brake like a 911.

IPB Image

Hopefully Mike will chime in here with some first hand experience.
old914dog
Amen and Amen!!
Wes spent hours and hours to rig the linkage..heim joints, threaded rods, etc.
WE trashed it all and installed the 911 backing plate, shoes and set up the cable to actuate. There are differing opinions about the use of one butterfly vs. two in order to spread the shoes. I like the "backup plan" of having both. There are several threads detailing the install.
Merry Christmas
old914dog
mike
pdlightning
QUOTE(type47 @ Dec 24 2014, 02:30 PM) *

What's the matter w/ stock? Send the calipers to Eric Shea at PMB Performance in UT. His products will make for an easy solution to whatever problems you are having.

I second the Eric Shea recommendation. I purchased the 308 calipers and they are beautiful. Nice set up and good engineering!

a914622
Not to muddy the waters but the rear fords have a very good rear caliper with ebrake like the vw setup. Both in 14mm rotors and the 22mm vented ones. I was looking at the vented calipers from a turbo coupe, same as Lincoln , for a vanagon brake setup. I ended up using eurovan 12mm rotors and the Audi calipers.
The late model S-Audi should have a vented rear as well but I don't know the rotor thickness .

Jcl
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.