Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: painting under the car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sanman
Hi all. I Have my car on jack stand and would like to paint the under side and fender wells. I would like to Know who has done this. This car will never see rain But I want it to look Good. What I have in mind is

a. bed liner
b. rustolium
c. ruberized undercoat

there is curently NO rust under the car but it is rough underneth look like some places original paint some places some type of textured undercoat

ps I know por 15 would be best but is'nt it expencive
and time consuming to apply. any pic
TonyAKAVW
I bet you could paint the underside of your car with $50 to $60 worth of POR-15. Bedliner unless you get the do-it-yourself kind will probably be a lot more expensive than that. Rubberized undercoating is probably worse than nothing at all, as it traps moisture against the paint. do-it-yourself bedliner is probably about the same, maybe just a bit more durable.

Rustolium might work too, but keep an eye on it over time. (as with anything)

POR-15 is probably your best bet aside from original paint.

-Tony
Allan
Here is a place I got some POR-15 from. You might check out their prices. They will tell you how much it will cover.

POR-15
vortrex
there is a product called Zero-Rust that is much easier to work with than POR-15 and looks better too.
scotty b
bed liner is more expensive than Por 15 but will give the best resuls as far as rust prevention.HOWEVER you really should clean and paint with POR before putting on bedliner,otherwise you will be covering rust with bedliner and not doing any good. Rustoleum and undercoating do not mix well. I applied that combo giving the rustoleum DAYS to dry, and when applying the undercoat, it ate the rustoleum and neither would adhere.
94teener
I second the Zero Rust. I have been using it for years and never had to recoat.
The underside of all of the 914s I have are painted with ZR.

Phil
xsboost90
what ever you put on you should clean what is on there off or it wont stick. Ive used a bunch of rock chip guard in some spots ive fixed and then put undercoating over that. I also por 15'd some spots and painted over it and undercoat in spots.
sj914
Por15 makes a hardnose paint that they claim is tough and cleans good.
Sparky
I've used Rust Bullet with great results. IIRC it was a little less expensive then POR15 and the specs were just as good.

My best,
Mike D.

...There I contributed something useful today!
LvSteveH
I second the RustBullet, it's not cheap, but applies much easier than POR 15, and it saves you money, you don't have to buy beer, you'll have a nice buzz after painting with it. Oh, take serious precautions to prevent getting on your skin, it will not come off. I got some on my face (don't ask) and had to use a scotchbright pad to remove the skin the paint was attached to. Talk about exfoliating!
guywan914
Where would one find info on zero rust? Do you by it direct like por-15. My teener is just about clean to the metal on the bottom waiting for the por 15 but open to suggestions.
94teener
http://www.zerorust.com/
jwalters
wacko.gif A tyvek suit....... mad.gif Trust me--you want to use one of those when you do it......
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.