Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Do original Sixes have engine pads?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wndsnd
I can not tell from pics I have seen, and it looks like a tight fit.

John
Bleyseng
No
SirAndy
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Dec 26 2014, 05:10 PM) *

No

agree.gif
Mark Henry
I didn't know that, I was going to replace my pad with the fan area cut out...maybe I won't now.
If doing a conversion and removing the pad how do you clean the glue off?
rgalla9146
No ! .......Three strikes !
wndsnd
Thanks guys! As I thought. Must be noisy as hell, or can you double up on the interior insulation?

Anyone bother with thicker rear glass?

John
Mark Henry
QUOTE(wndsnd @ Dec 26 2014, 10:10 PM) *

Thanks guys! As I thought. Must be noisy as hell, or can you double up on the interior insulation?

John

That's why I was thinking of keeping my pad, but modding it a bit to make sure it caused no issue with the fan.

The interior insulation is just 1/8" molded tarboard and the backpad. I think you would have a hard time putting any else back there.
GeorgeRud
The original -6s did not have an engine pad, but I did fit one of the silver foil ones on my conversion six. Can't say I really notice much of a difference between the sound levels of the two, though the rain hat air filters do make more induction noise than the original air filter housing on my factory -6.

You could always put some sort of quiet mat under the rear seat pad to help as much as possible. I put the silver pad in my conversion as it was such a pain to remove the original pad adhesive to my satisfaction. The Germans found some tenacious adhesive back in the day!
horizontally-opposed
Checked the condition of the engine pad in my 1973 914 (still very nicely fastened to the body) and decided to keep it in place with the six conversion. It did cause me pause, since the factory ran without one, but seems fine and there are no clearance issues.

YMMV. Hopefully, mine won't. Has anyone run the factory sound pad for a long time with a six conversion?

pete
ConeDodger
Mine is a conversion, but I plan on running without one. I did add sound proofing to the inner firewall.
sixaddict

You have primary answer....frankly I like clean look of no pad but is a bit noisy.
As for old adhesive removal, patience and persistence is key. I have used automotive adhesive remover. It will not be fast but it works. A heat gun helps but it's a slow process.
GL with project.

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Dec 26 2014, 06:42 PM) *

I didn't know that, I was going to replace my pad with the fan area cut out...maybe I won't now.
If doing a conversion and removing the pad how do you clean the glue off?

fixer34
QUOTE(wndsnd @ Dec 26 2014, 09:10 PM) *

John

'.. noisy as hell...'

That's one of the reasons you have a six, so you can listen to the scream of that engine at 5000+ rpm...
PanelBilly
I've got my entire engine bay coated in Line X. Some day soon, I'll be able to tell you if it kills any of the sound transmission
bigkensteele
Did original sixes have the tabs for a pad, or were those omitted as well?
wndsnd
QUOTE(fixer34 @ Dec 27 2014, 09:50 AM) *

QUOTE(wndsnd @ Dec 26 2014, 09:10 PM) *

John

'.. noisy as hell...'

That's one of the reasons you have a six, so you can listen to the scream of that engine at 5000+ rpm...

I knew that was coming......

I appreciate the engine sounds, I am an air cooled Porsche guy from way back. But I used Dynamat on both sides of the firewall on my Type 4, actually two types in the engine bay to take away the harshness, but I run carbs and the induction is very noisy for trips. I keep ear plugs in the glove box for road trips. But then I can't listen to Pandora! Last year Hershey took about 8 hours one way and it can wear you down, that and the burning oil through the vents, but hey thats what we like.

I guess going to the six will be even louder. I would also think the factory air box would be quieter, but not many are fortunate enough to have that. In regards to the glue, I seem to remember that brake cleaner worked quite well with a scotchpad, but wear a mask.

John
r_towle
Umm, you really just need a decent amp for the tunes and earplugs make no difference.
I moved everything to the 911, but it really is the loudest stereo I have, and it works at 80 with truck passing and earplugs in place.

If I was you, I would leave what you have in place and if it continues to both you, consider adding another piece of lex an at an angle to the outside of the rear window while creating a tapered dead air space, it's very effective.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.