Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Vacuum line question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
74ravenna
Hello,

I broke the line that runs from the expansion tank through the tunnel and then up into the engine bay. The section in the engine bay was brittle and I snapped it about a foot from where it connects.
Plus, i'm in the process of replacing the fuel lines and I think one of them is binding somewhere on that very line in the tunnel.
So, if I remove that little black hose, how hard is it to replace?
I can't see where it goes through the rear section of the tunnel through the wall.
It looks like it could be a complete nightmare.

Thanks
Steve
TheCabinetmaker
I must be having a senior moment. I'm just not visualizing a vacuum line in the tunnel.
74ravenna
I've probably used the wrong terminology.
It runs from the front to the engine bay. In the front it runs through the fuel line grommet along with the fuel lines and in the rear it has its own grommet.

Thanks

type47
What year car? It sounds to me like a MY car with the charcoal canister in the engine bay instead of the front trunk.
TheCabinetmaker
Maybe an early car. Not very familiar with them.
Rand
That line typically runs under the drivers side rocker panel, not the center tunnel. But I've only had DJet cars. Need to investigate a little more.

BTW, don't fear a nightmare. If its from the expansion tank or charcoal canister, it's not going to affect how the car runs at all (at least on Djets). Worst case scenario is you might smell some gas fumes if it's not dealt with. All it does is feed potential fumes back into the engine bay. And my controversial opinion is, screw that, just run a rubber hose out the bottom of the trunk and forget about it. That is unless you are worried about complying to concourse standards or you want to make sure every fume from the gas tank goes back into the engine instead of the air.
Java2570
1.8 has a vent line running down the tunnel......

http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/technical_...4_18FI_diag.htm
74ravenna
Its a 1974 1.8.
Yes, the charcoal canister is in the engine bay.
This is the vent that runs to the canister all the way from the front (expansion chamber)

I have the cover off the rear of the tunnel but I can't see where that line goes through.

Thanks
ClayPerrine
BTDT.

You can replace it, but you have to pull the gas tank and the shifter to do it. Some FLAPS sell the hard plastic line. Buy the right size, and just thread it through the tunnel
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.