Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NPC: pocket door hardware needed!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ripper911
The new guy at work broke the embalming room door. It's a pocket door, and it looks like the hooks ate no longer available.

Does anybody have one of these screw in hooks sitting around that they can send me?

IPB Image
r_towle
no, sorry.
You can however buy a whole new set of hardware for pocket doors at any decent lumber yard. Its a standard Brosco Item.

rich
ripper911
One of my fellow directors is gone to the door surplus store to see if they have one... With the type of door we have it looks like we can't even get the rollers out without taking out the frame.

We've been trying to rig it up for half of the day.
r_towle
QUOTE(ripper911 @ Dec 29 2014, 04:02 PM) *

One of my fellow directors is gone to the door surplus store to see if they have one... With the type of door we have it looks like we can't even get the rollers out without taking out the frame.

We've been trying to rig it up for half of the day.

you can and you cant....pocket doors are tricky to work on, but if you look at the extension jambs, you can remove those without taking off the outer trim....

if you must, slip a hand held hacksaw blade between the trim and the jamb and slide it down to find all the nails, then cut them off.
The jamb will pull out towards the middle of the opening, so you should not need to touch the outer trim.

Once the jams are removed, the whole hardware setup will come out.

Typically you can remove just one side, and if you look close, one side it typically fastened less than the other....
If you remove one side, you can swing the door into the room in that direction and remove the rollers....

Its funky spacial geometry, but there is a trick to every door and how to remove it.

Worst thing is they nailed through the trim into the jam.
Then use the blade to cut those nails.

When you put it back together, use screws to screw in the jam, nothing more.
rich
r_towle
think of it this way.
The overall opening fit the door when they put it in.
After the door was put in place, the jambs made the opening smaller.
Remove the jambs, remove the door.

Leaving the trim on the outside is the tricky part so you wont need to repair any of that.
ripper911
I'll keep that in mind if we can't find an easy replacement piece.

I'm thinking about finding a screw with the right thread and adapting it to hold the door.

But, I'm home and off call! It's time for a drink! bootyshake.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(ripper911 @ Dec 29 2014, 05:12 PM) *

I'll keep that in mind if we can't find an easy replacement piece.

I'm thinking about finding a screw with the right thread and adapting it to hold the door.

But, I'm home and off call! It's time for a drink! bootyshake.gif

take the two pieces to a welder and have them put it back together....

rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.