Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can't turn road wheel
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cjgb914
So I've finally reached the point to set my valves. Car up on ramps, jacked one wheel off the ramp and the other blocked on the ramp. Emergency brake off. I can't turn the raised wheel! I don't think, the brakes have seized up (we pushed it into the shop not long ago). So what the heck am I missing? Do you have to be The Incredible Hulk to turn this thing?

C
bandjoey
Pull the spark plugs. Makes it easy.
rhodyguy
Which gear do you have it in?
dlee6204
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Dec 30 2014, 01:19 PM) *

Which gear do you have it in?

agree.gif should be in 5th!
Rand
It would be sweet to learn you have a torque biasing diff or some sort of posi. smile.gif
cjgb914
Got her in fifth gear. I was thinking pulling the plugs might be a good plan. I expected some resistance, but Geez

C
roblav1
Put it on 5th and turn the rim by putting a breaker bar with 19mm socket on a lugnut.
messix

QUOTE(cjgb914 @ Dec 30 2014, 11:43 AM) *

Got her in fifth gear. I was thinking pulling the plugs might be a good plan. I expected some resistance, but Geez

C

slap.gif

now you know you have some compression
914itis
Compression? Hm..... Slight related highjack
I was tryng to start my other project . The starter seem to be unable to spin the motor. I then put it on 5th and try to spin the left wheel , it wouldn't . It seems like it wants to spin the right wheel as well.

I was thinking more like locked motor? ( it turns last month) this thread makes me think of a special differencial.
cjgb914
I'll try the breaker bar when I get home here in a bit. Got an ice storm here in Texas, getting sent home early! Will report back!

C
stugray
With the plugs IN, 5th gear, I was able to turn it fairly easily, no breaker bar.

Plugs out, I can do it under the car with one hand.
cjgb914
Okay breaker bar didn't budge it....I'd go try something else but its 17 degrees with a wind chill of 1! Talk about lost on this one, I can fire it up and she runs (granted not that great) Any other thoughts? Ya'll are the gurus!

C
messix
pull all 4 spark plugs.

make sure the e-brake is released at the caliper.

I was able to turn the engine with one tire blocked with a jack and turn the other tire by hand. it was not difficult to turn.
cjgb914
Okay plan, pull plugs (when its not so bloody cold) and see where we're at! How do I check the e-brake cable at the caliper?

C
messix
the e-brake cables go to a lever on the caliper. if the cable is slack and the lever is not rotated to it's rest it's stuck or hanging up. not uncommon
r_towle
Turn it in reverse, that moves the motor forwards.
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(914itis @ Dec 30 2014, 02:18 PM) *

I was tryng to start my other project . The starter seem to be unable to spin the motor. I then put it on 5th and try to spin the left wheel , it wouldn't . It seems like it wants to spin the right wheel as well.

I was thinking more like locked motor? ( it turns last month) this thread makes me think of a special differencial.

Both wheels spin the same direction? What year car is it? Does the trans id have 914/11/10 HB xxxxxxx on it? if so I believe the HB indicates a Limited slip trans.
malcolm2
QUOTE(cjgb914 @ Dec 30 2014, 06:48 PM) *

Okay plan, pull plugs (when its not so bloody cold) and see where we're at! How do I check the e-brake cable at the caliper?

C

block the front wheels, rear wheels (or wheel) in the air, tranny in neutral, hand brake down (like you are driving), the rear wheels (or wheel) should spin round and round. If not then check the caliper lever as suggested. If ok, maybe you have a bearing issue?

Good luck, stay warm.
messix
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Dec 31 2014, 06:52 AM) *

QUOTE(914itis @ Dec 30 2014, 02:18 PM) *

Both wheels spin the same direction? What year car is it? Does the trans id have 914/11/10 HB xxxxxxx on it? if so I believe the HB indicates a Limited slip trans.

he still had the plugs in the engine so I'm sure it was turning the other wheel thru the diff against the engine compression.
cjgb914
Messix, nailed it.....lever on the calipers was stuck. A little WD40 and she spins! Got up to a balmy 20 degrees today! Thanks guys!

C
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.