Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Free 74 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
chargerucd
I was offered a FREE 1974 porsche 914 BUT with no engine,

my question is,

is it worth getting a car minus an engine, the work? the money?

what do guys think?

i live in southern california, how much would an engine be?

how much effort to put it in?

thanks for the help

chargerucd
bondo
The question of rust is much more important than an engine. Find out all the places to look for rust, or have one of us look at it for you. Free can cost more than buying a nice one if the rust is bad. (being a california car doesn't mean squat for 914s)
boxstr
FREE is a very good price. Why ask, go get the car,and learn for FREE.
CCLINFREEFREE
bd1308
anything free is cool man. CHECK FOR RUST!!! RUST RUST RUST....check the hell hole, jack stand holes, pan, right rear of the car (like engine )...if it checks out, around 2G or 2500 for a decent engine ( not a Raby one) which is awesome.
Rhodes71/914
As long as it is not a total rust pit free is good.

Post some pictures of it if you can, we all like pictures even the rust.

Plus if you don't want someone here might take it. biggrin.gif
bondo
Hehe. Free isn't good if it's rusted so badly that you have to pay to have it hauled off smile.gif Here's what I'd do: (if I needed another 914.. I don't)

1. Check for rust, and take it if it's workable
2. Find a used running engine (can be had for ~$500)
3. Drive the sucker!

I did a similar thing to get into 914s. I bought a non-running slavage titled 914 for $500. I towed it to a friend's house and got it running. Then I drove it home (~200 miles.. risky, but I made it with no problems) I have since fixed it up mechanically (still ugly) and have used it as my daily driver. I learned about all the 914 quirks, and made the decision on what I want my ideal 914 to be. Now I have a bare shell sitting in the garage awaiting a V8 conversion, and the first car is up for sale smile.gif The first one is a learning experience so anything is fine as long as it doesn't fold on you (it happens!)
morph
Might make a good parts car.

HIEDI
Mueller
depends on your mechanical skills...the cars are pretty easy to work on...with you being in So-Cal and with the internet, getting parts is no big deal.....you can find running engines (1.7's and 1.8's) from free to just a couple hundred bucks...I've got a $300 1.8 in my car and it runs great

one thing to consider:

It's not Honda, they don't sell any bolt on items that are going to give you 20% more HP like they sell for the Civics......you want more than the 90hp in a four banger, the motor has to come apart and your wallet will be assaulted big time wacko.gif

fun cars....my 1st 914 was free, I never planned on owning one, didn't know anything about them except at the time I thought they were 'chick cars smile.gif ...10 years later I'm still hooked.....

SirAndy
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Feb 3 2005, 05:43 PM)
around 2G or 2500 for a decent engine

slow down grasshopper ... biggrin.gif

i just sold my strong running 1.8L for $300 (hi mueller wavey.gif ) ...

a used engine in good shape can be had for much less than $2k!
rolleyes.gif Andy
Dr Evil
Is it in San Diego? I think that we have already looked at this one (Skline did). If it is, then let us know and we could give you a better oppinion.
bd1308
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Feb 3 2005, 05:53 PM)
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Feb 3 2005, 05:43 PM)
around 2G or 2500 for a decent engine

slow down grasshopper ... biggrin.gif

i just sold my strong running 1.8L for $300 (hi mueller wavey.gif ) ...

a used engine in good shape can be had for much less than $2k!
rolleyes.gif Andy

if anybody has a DECENT 2.0L engine or heads that dont pop pop pop pop pop pop (thru the exhaust threads) i'll pay ~500 for them. I've always wanted to see California anyway. I'll mail myself UPS, get the head and mail myself back first class (with the heads in my arms) smile.gif
JeffBowlsby
I was given a free 914 once...made a few $$$ on the parts and gave the good tub to a 914club member...

Everyone wins...
skline
Yeah, I looked at the one in SD, I didnt want it. However, there is an engine for sale in Diamond bar, a complete 1.7 liter the guy wants $150.00 for it, Did a V8 conversion and doesnt need it.
redshift
I would be suspicious of any car someone just wanted to give me.

unsure.gif

M
sgomes
Forget all this $2000 engine crap! Slap an electric motor in that thing. rolleyes.gif
Eric_Shea
There's gold in them there hills.

If it's free... go get it. If you can turn a wrench you can turn a profit "and" you can help other teeners here on this board who are in need by offering parts at reasonable prices.

If there's no rust, keep it and find an engine. 74 is a GREAT year. It may be a two/three year project but... that's what a lot of us do to help temper a had days work.

Welcome to the club BTW!! smilie_pokal.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.