Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: vinyl wrapping a 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
loonybob
I was wondering if this would be a good idea, if so I was wondering if I could get any advice on it and or What colors I should do. Thank you.
ConeDodger
If the body was perfect and the paint was bad, that might work. Otherwise it's just lipstick on a pig... blink.gif
Mueller
QUOTE(loonybob @ Dec 30 2014, 11:52 AM) *

I was wondering if this would be a good idea, if so I was wondering if I could get any advice on it and or What colors I should do. Thank you.

I'd say price out the materials 1st, it might cost more than you think.

Advice? Spend an hour watching YouTube videos from people that are actually doing it.

Color? It's your car not mine so why would you go with a color I like? blink.gif
stugray
I plan on doing the racecar soon.
I have body work to complete, then I will primer the whole car and try the vinyl wrap.

So I should have a perfect body, and no paint.

So it should look like a $3k paint job that I dont need a paint booth for, can repair one panel if I need to, can change the graphics when I feel like it, and if I dont like it, I can just pull it off & paint.

First estimate is ~$200 in materials.
ericoneal
Have you looked at Plastidipping?
loonybob
QUOTE(ericoneal @ Dec 30 2014, 01:09 PM) *

Have you looked at Plastidipping?

I have looked at plastidipping but it seems much harder and less permanent.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Dec 30 2014, 03:11 PM) *

If the body was perfect and the paint was bad, that might work. Otherwise it's just lipstick on a pig... blink.gif

Sounds like you're talking about my brothers ex-wife. Except for the body perfect part....
wndsnd
Check out this thread.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911...ap-project.html

John
stugray
QUOTE(wndsnd @ Dec 30 2014, 03:09 PM) *

That is from 2010 - Just be careful about older advice.
There has been a HUGE advance in wrap materials in just the last couple of years, so the application methods have changed.

And one tip I learned: Dont buy the cheapest (Especially if the prices seems too good to be true) a lot of the discount places sell wrap that is going out of date.
The rolls have a shelf life.
wndsnd
Very true,

But it does show the advance prep work and time needed. It does not look easy and quick like one would assume.

John
stugray
QUOTE(wndsnd @ Dec 30 2014, 03:19 PM) *

Very true,

But it does show the advance prep work and time needed. It does not look easy and quick like one would assume.

John

And I just noticed that he chose the exact same wrap (brand AND color) that I was considering, so it is exactly the right DIY. Thanks
r_towle
QUOTE(stugray @ Dec 30 2014, 04:06 PM) *

I plan on doing the racecar soon.
I have body work to complete, then I will primer the whole car and try the vinyl wrap.

So I should have a perfect body, and no paint.

So it should look like a $3k paint job that I dont need a paint booth for, can repair one panel if I need to, can change the graphics when I feel like it, and if I dont like it, I can just pull it off & paint.

First estimate is ~$200 in materials.

Do you have a build thread to show us all the out of the box stuff you have done?
It may help alot of people....I know your engine build itself should have a thread.

Inquiring minds want to know.

rich
wndsnd
Too bad he doesn't complete the thread.....

MoveQik
If you do it, don't think that the vinyl wrap will cover up any imperfections. ANY imperfection will show up right through the vinyl. We just had our RV covered in vinyl(not a full wrap but close) and they can do some amazing things with the colors now days. However, you can see in a few spots where there is even the tiniest of flaws beneath the vinyl. If you want it to look good you need to prep the car as if you are going to paint it. I'm guessing you won't need as much vinyl as we did. smile.gif

After and before. Vinyl can make a HUGE difference.

CptTripps
QUOTE(loonybob @ Dec 30 2014, 04:12 PM) *

I have looked at plastidipping but it seems much harder and less permanent.

Not true....at all. If you put it on correctly (which is easy to do) it'll last for years.

You can get 3gal of Plastidip for $300. Wrapping your car with 3M 1080 will run you about $600...and that assumes your body is perfect and you know how to put it on. Slight imperfections are magnified with vinyl, where the PD will flow them out a little better.

I plastidipped a set of rims for my DD, and it was there until I removed it 2y later. I even had a tire-change in there and all it took was about 90sec with a rattle can and you couldn't tell where the damage was. Bonus: When I took the dip off, the rims still looked new. (Rims were on a 2013 BMW 535i)

I have 4gal of Plastidip in the garage that I was planning on doing my car with this summer.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.