Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New shifter...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Mugs914
One nice thing about Christmas time is that things slow down a bit around the shop and you might just be able to get something done on your OWN car!

I actually had some time to get this shifter fabbed up and installed. Not prettied up yet, but the functional bits are all done.

The stick is custom made and is mounted on a short throw bottom end. The pivot base is stock with those extra stiff first-reverse lock out springs in it.

I got rid of the stock shift coupler and replaced it with an Apex joint that fits just inside the firewall. The rear rod is a stock four cyl shift rod with a 3/4" diameter extension so that it extends through a pivot bearing mounted to the firewall and up to the Apex joint in the tunnel. The stock forward shift rod was shortened and a 3/4" plug welded in to mate up to the Apex joint.

The result is REALLY crisp and the throws are really short (about 3.5" 2nd to 3rd), but of course it does take a bit more oompf to shift. Looks like I'll be going through gloves a little quicker!

Happy New Year, by the way!

Mike

(Man, the pics really show up how filthy this poor thing is!)
McMark
Nice standoff. I'll be curious to hear your driving experiences. It's commonly said that 901's don't like quick shifts.

Also, watch out for this rubbing.
Randal
QUOTE(McMark @ Dec 31 2014, 09:08 AM) *

Nice standoff. I'll be curious to hear your driving experiences. It's commonly said that 901's don't like quick shifts.

Also, watch out for this rubbing.

901's hate fast shifting. That's why I am using a stock shifter with the Foley rear setup. Give those syncro's time to mesh, otherwise you will crunch them.
Mugs914
QUOTE(Randal @ Dec 31 2014, 12:10 PM) *

901's hate fast shifting. That's why I am using a stock shifter with the Foley rear setup. Give those syncro's time to mesh, otherwise you will crunch them.

Not trying to shift it like a Hewland, I just like short throws in the race car and having the shifter up near the wheel. Its pretty smooth actually, in spite of the short throws.

Nice catch Mark! I'll have to get something in there to shield that cable.

Mike
Randal
QUOTE(Mugs914 @ Dec 31 2014, 05:32 PM) *

QUOTE(Randal @ Dec 31 2014, 12:10 PM) *

Not trying to shift it like a Hewland, I just like short throws in the race car and having the shifter up near the wheel. Its pretty smooth actually, in spite of the short throws.

Nice catch Mark! I'll have to get something in there to shield that cable.

Mike

I think on the track it's easier to shift with a reasonable cadence and not tear up the 901. Autoxing on the other hand is exactly the opposite as every MS counts, so easy to forget cadence and just get more aggressive with the shifter. w00t.gif

Like the idea of having the shifter closer to you right hand, i.e., up high.

And your fabrication is cool.
Mugs914
QUOTE(Randal @ Jan 1 2015, 08:45 AM) *

I think on the track it's easier to shift with a reasonable cadence and not tear up the 901. Autoxing on the other hand is exactly the opposite as every MS counts, so easy to forget cadence and just get more aggressive with the shifter. w00t.gif

Like the idea of having the shifter closer to you right hand, i.e., up high.

And your fabrication is cool.

Thanks!

Agree about autocross; Mr. Hyde emerges and you start getting 'grabby'!

Of course there are some guys who lose control on the track as well. I've got a buddy who we call 'Chevelle' because he gets excited and starts trying to slam shift his Spec 944 like a drag racer.

His new gearbox is almost finished... biggrin.gif
Racing916
Mugs,

I like it, the raised stand reminds me of the spec Boxsters. By the way I order a wing from GT racing thanks again for the vote on best prepared at Watkins Glen. Hope to see you again this year.

Take care
Steve
Alphaogre
I like I too, I'd love to have a gate shifter in these things. The phantom shifting still gets me sometimes.
stownsen914
Mugs,

Whatever happened to that 914 tube framed turbo you started building a bunch of years ago?

Scott
naro914
Oh great...now Nadine's gonna want that! smile.gif
ChrisFoley
Here's something similar in one of the cars we built.
It connects to a Hewland trans.
The car hasn't been track driven yet in this configuration, but the same shifter was used in another 914 race car successfully by the original fabricator.
In my opinion it needs a slotted plate or side rails and spring loaded centering to be complete.

Click to view attachment
Mugs914
QUOTE(stownsen914 @ Jan 13 2015, 07:13 AM) *

Mugs,

Whatever happened to that 914 tube framed turbo you started building a bunch of years ago?

Scott

Hi Scott!

Well, a word of advice: If you want to finish your race car project in a timely manner, DO NOT start a business in the middle of the job! blink.gif

Taking care of customer cars and keeping the four-banger going haven't left me with a whole lot of time over the last seven years or so and the turbo sort of resides on the back burner. I still work away at it as I'm able and VERY slow progress is being made.

As it sits now, there is all of the plumbing and electrical left to do, some bodywork that needs to be finished up and fab the exhaust system. So essentially, 85% done, 85% to go!

Mike
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.