Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Porsche engine assy line
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jake Raby
And now I know why we've been seeing broken rings in 9a1 engines with less than 5K miles...
Mueller
I didn't see any beer sitting around?!

When Sherryl and I went and visited the factory years ago we saw cases of beer on the shop floor!
euro911
I like the ring compressor tools they use ... something wrong with them, Jake? confused24.gif
mgp4591
And no safety glasses in the bunch...
EdwardBlume
Not much oil in the assembly....

Not much whistling while they are working either...
fixer34
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=247328

Looks to be the same/similar to one that was posted a couple days ago.
r_towle
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Dec 31 2014, 02:13 AM) *

And now I know why we've been seeing broken rings in 9a1 engines with less than 5K miles...

curious why you say that, and I was under the impression that break in was now being done with forced air to make it cleaner and faster.

If you see a glaring issue, you should reach out and get a consulting gig with porsche....that would be a great gig for you....just to do it.

rich
Jake Raby

Here's one example. 4,165 miles on a 2012 Cayman R. This was an engine that was original equipment in a one owner vehicle that never even saw it's first oil change, or a single day at the track. It came to me to see my 4.2L power plant that was built from the original 3.4. This was a build that was a mirror image of "Cayman X", that was featured in the December 2013 issue of Panorama, pages 66-71. Upon disassembly I found this, and then it made sense why it was down 25HP on the dyno when I did it's "pre run" before taking it apart. No one expected that it had an issue, and I found a lot of surprises. Today it makes 350 at the wheels, up around 100HP over stock.

Click to view attachment

Faster and easier will never be better than "built by hand".
stugray
One observation that I made:

Anyone who works on these OUTSIDE of the factory has far more skill than the ones who work on the assembly line.
My guess is that very few of those in that video are truly skilled auto workers, most of them know how to do just one or two things on the entire engine.
I also noticed the no safety glasses part.
And I am sure that they were instructed to pickup the beer before filming.

This reminds me of the tour of the Saturn-V launch control facility Museum at Cape Canaveral.
We watched the whole presentation and the lady said "and we have matched the real control room with 100% authenticity" it had coveralls from all of the contractors draped over the chairs and clipboards with pencils, etc.
She overheard me tell my family "Well they missed ONE thing"
She looked at me and "What is it that you believe we missed??"

I said "There are no ashtrays......"
rhd914
Made me think of terminator 3, the robot assembly line......
euro911
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Dec 31 2014, 07:18 AM) *
Here's one example. 4,165 miles on a 2012 Cayman R. This was an engine that was original equipment in a one owner vehicle that never even saw it's first oil change, or a single day at the track. It came to me to see my 4.2L power plant that was built from the original 3.4. This was a build that was a mirror image of "Cayman X", that was featured in the December 2013 issue of Panorama, pages 66-71. Upon disassembly I found this, and then it made sense why it was down 25HP on the dyno when I did it's "pre run" before taking it apart. No one expected that it had an issue, and I found a lot of surprises. Today it makes 350 at the wheels, up around 100HP over stock.

Click to view attachment

Faster and easier will never be better than "built by hand".
It's understood that more care is applied when built-by-hand, but how's that going to happen in this case? (new car from the Porsche factory).

What seems to be the root cause? ... are they not sizing the rings properly or not enough lube?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.