Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GRRRR Need a clutch
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Carlitos Way
It looks like my clutch is shot... and has been for a while. Nice of the PO to share... GRRRR

Putting that aside, should I upgrade to a 911 clutch? I don't plan to do much more than some "spirited" driving down the canyons on occasion.

Please share... clutch size? brand? anything will help. I'd like to get it done tomorrow.

Carlos
ws91420
Sachs I believe is OEM. A while your in there is to turn the flywheel and replace the rear main seal. Also replace the bushing on the fork pivot. PP and some of the other places sell a clutch replacement kit that includes these things plus a new flywheel washer, pilot bearing, and other things.
Rouser
Sachs I believe is OEM. A while your in there is to turn the flywheel and replace the rear main seal. Also replace the bushing on the fork pivot. PP and some of the other places sell a clutch replacement kit that includes these things plus a new flywheel washer, pilot bearing, and other things.

Yep, did it not too long ago and couldn't have said it better myself.
Putting that aside, should I upgrade to a 911 clutch?

The 911 6-spring unit works like a dream, and doesn't cost all that much more than the OEM 4-spring unit. Most of the time the 6-springer is recommended as a replacement anyway.

user posted image
jd74914
are all pressure plates created equal and are they interchangable
scruz914
You need to check the clutch ball pin (Pelican part OEM-90111677101) for wear. Mine broke I think due to a worn throw out arm retainer (A-116-077-01) which you should replace no matter what. You have to remove the throw out arm to get to these two parts. The ball pin is a special order and will take up to a week.

Here is a diagram from Pelican of the clutch parts. The retainer is in red.

-Jeff
Rouser
are all pressure plates created equal and are they interchangable

Well, I don't know about all that, but the Sachs unit has good feel and clamping force for the street, short of a V8 4-grand holeshot. Click here for a good article.

There are others, but the Sachs combo is pretty-much the standard install, unless you're a weekend auto-x warrior or hard on clutches.
Aaron Cox
anyone run a 4,5,0r 6 puck disk on the street?

what are the benefits of such?
SirAndy
QUOTE (cmolina @ Feb 3 2005, 06:36 PM)
should I upgrade to a 911 clutch?

yes, yes and yes ...

get the 911 6-spring!
driving.gif Andy
Carlitos Way
What year(s) are compatible with the 914 2.0 engine?
Joe Ricard
Anything with a 901 transaxle. Not sure of the year but if it is for a 65 911 it will fit. there is a large model year span same part number. I can only tell the difference in the sport clutch (more expensive). Regular 911 clutch has the exact same friction material and construction as 914-4, just has 6 cushioning springs vice 4.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Feb 3 2005, 10:25 PM)
anyone run a 4,5,0r 6 puck disk on the street?

what are the benefits of such?

what do thes clutch disks do better? icon_bump.gif
machina
I installed this six puck KEP at Jakes recommendation.

I was worried about the quick engagement (its a rigid design) but got used to it real quick.
SirAndy
QUOTE (synthesisdv @ Feb 4 2005, 12:06 PM)
I installed this six puck KEP at Jakes recommendation.
I was worried about the quick engagement (its a rigid design) but got used to it real quick.

they work great until you get stuck in stop&go traffic for an hour ...

headbang.gif Andy
jd74914
would the clutch disc for a 1970 t, e, or s work? I know 65-68 does for sure, I don't know about any late stuff.

would the guidelines be that it would only need to be for a 901 tranny
Joe Ricard
I don't know... Maybe somone should visit the little winkie board. Sorry I'm not Qualified lol2.gif
JohnM
I like the feel of the 911 6-spring better than the stock 4-spring. John
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.