Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: front hood/trunk is looked shut.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dovsky
Hi I'm new to the forum. I was wondering if someone can help me. After many years of trouble-free operation, all of the sudden I'm not able to open the front hood/trunk by pulling the handle. I'm suspecting that the cable connected to the latch mechanism has either broke or come loose. But it's hard to diagnose without having the proper access to see what's going on. Has anybody experienced a similar issue? Is there a trick to open the front in case the handle cable fails? Any advice will be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks.

Happy new year to all,

Dov
Zichron Ya'akov
Israel
rnellums
Remove the front bumper and there is an access home through which you sold be able to release the lock.

Good luck!
mepstein
agree.gif
Once you get your trunk open, lube the cable, lock mechanism and handle. Force from increasing friction causes the cable to pull from the latch. Lubing everything will make it work like new.
TheCabinetmaker
If your car is 74 or prior, there are two bolts in the front of both wheel wells. 75/76 with rubber cover has 1 bolt on each side (visible from underneath) to remove cover.
TheCabinetmaker
Btw, welcome to the world.
rgalla9146
...... maybe you should see if it might be locked first ?
Hine62
If you can not even move the pull lever, then it is locked. This has happened to me before. Even if you have never used the lock before, start there.

Hine62
Larmo63
I had the same issue when I got my car. The hood wasn't locked, it hadn't been opened in years and all I had to do was pull hard on it. A locksmith could probably pick it if it is locked. I'd try the hard pull first.
barefoot
perhaps you can get to it without removing the font bumper. right in the middle where the latch bolts on there is an access hole between the bolts for a flat blade screwdriver to be inserted, just twist once you're in there.
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(barefoot @ Jan 1 2015, 01:10 PM) *

perhaps you can get to it without removing the font bumper. right in the middle where the latch bolts on there is an access hole between the bolts for a flat blade screwdriver to be inserted, just twist once you're in there.

No way too access that hole with the bumper on.
toolguy
If it's not locked, then it might just be stuck/stiff from non use. . . In order to remove tension on the lock assembly, I have had success if someone 'gently' pushs down on the hood above the latch area while I pulled the release. . sometimes the front person has to jiggle the hood up and down a few times while you're pulling on the handle. .
dovsky
Thank you all for giving me great advice in such a short time. I will follow the suggested recommendations in order of difficulty. BTW, my car is a 76 with the heavy rubber bumpers, which I'm really not looking forward to remove. But I'm very glad to learn that there are ways to get around this problem.

Thanks again!!!
Dov
rhodyguy
You may be able to get to the access hole by just removing the bumper cover. The hole will be behind the BIG impact bar. Much less involved.
dovsky
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jan 1 2015, 08:37 PM) *

You my be able to get to the access hole by just removing the bumper cover. The hole will be behind the BIG impact bar. Much less involved.

Great tip, thanks! It's now 8:40 PM here in Israel. So I will look at it in the daylight tomorrow morning and report back.
TheCabinetmaker

quote name='dovsky' date='Jan 1 2015, 01:42 PM' post='2128835']
[quote name='rhodyguy' post='2128832' date='Jan 1 2015, 08:37 PM']
You my be able to get to the access hole by just removing the bumper cover. The hole will be behind the BIG impact bar. Much less involved.
[/quote]
Great tip, thanks! It's now 8:40 PM here in Israel. So I will look at it in the daylight tomorrow morning and report back.
[/quote]

I think that is exactly what I said.

"75/76 with rubber cover has 1 bolt on each side (visible from underneath) to remove cover."

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.