Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clutch Alignment tool
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cfletch
Which clutch alignment tool should I use... Im using stock 2.7l flywheel with the KEP adaptor kit(ring gear PP and clutch) with a sideshift box and im about to assemble it all together but am not sure on what alignment tool i will need to use.
r_towle
Fit tight in the flywheel bearing.
Fit the teeth of the clutch disk.

It can also be done with just a dowel and a good eye like we had to for years before they sold the tools with the clutch kit.

Rich
brant
I've been doing clutches on my teener (a dozen or more) for 25 years with a flashlight and screwdriver
r_towle
So,

The objective of the tool is to center the clutch disk in the opening so when you sticks the pilot shaft into the clutch disk, then flywheel, it all lines up.

Little wiggling also can move the clutch disk to aid in getting the transmission to fit in the hole in the flywheel, also turning one of the output flanges while holding one still helps make the teeth line up.
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(brant @ Jan 1 2015, 03:35 PM) *

I've been doing clutches on my teener (a dozen or more) for 25 years with a flashlight and screwdriver

agree.gif

Pretty easy to eyeball it center. Although the tool is easier. A dowel and some black tape will make a tool pretty easy.
Cfletch
But I do have access to a tool I just wanna know which one to use.. im assuming just a regular 914 one because im still using the stock tranny?
CG-914
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Jan 1 2015, 07:00 PM) *

QUOTE(brant @ Jan 1 2015, 03:35 PM) *

agree.gif

Pretty easy to eyeball it center. Although the tool is easier. A dowel and some black tape will make a tool pretty easy.

agree.gif
Brian_Boss
QUOTE(Cfletch @ Jan 1 2015, 07:33 PM) *

But I do have access to a tool I just wanna know which one to use.. im assuming just a regular 914 one because im still using the stock tranny?

This is correct. The tool is just a plastic replica of the end of the trans input shaft. Stock trans = stock alignment tool.

FWIW, I've stabbed quite a few w/o the tool and rarely had much trouble, but if you have the tool it's worth using.

HTH,
Brian
lsintampa
If you leave the pressure plate bolts sort of loose, you can easily get the tranny on and then you can tighten up the pressure plate.

With the pressure plate somewhat "loose" the clutch can wiggle about a bit while you get the tranny on.

zambezi
My trick is to make sure the alignment tool removes very easily once the pressure plate is fully tightened. I even remove and replace the tool many times while tightening to be sure it is still well aligned. If I feel the tool binding I readjust the clutch disc by prying slightly with the tool until it removes freely. If it removes freely you will certainly have no problems stabbing the trans.
larss
QUOTE(brant @ Jan 2 2015, 12:35 AM) *

agree.gif

Lars S
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.