Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FS 1972 914 - looking for comments
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
BuckmasterBC
I am looking at buying this 1972 914 - the owner says the 4 cyclinder is complete but it isn't running. The car looks original and I have asked for more details on the history and pictures of the typical trouble areas. Seller is asking for $2500 - would appreciate any comments on this one as it would be my first 914.Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
dw914six
Need to know why the engine won't run. Plus rust info. You could have much more than the asking price on repairs.

I am not saying there is not $2500 of value, but once you factor the cost of getting it right, you may find a better and less expensive ride being sold.
mobymutt
Seems like a better deal than this one!

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/guelph...gationFlag=true

Cuda911
Since it will be your first 914, I would vote to pass on this car. Get something that is running. It may well be worth $2,500, but that would be for someone who knows exactly what he is getting into.

Bruce Hinds
In addition to the usual rust areas look good and hard at the front and rear hood hinges. The "lids" are spring loaded on the front and torsion bars on the rear, if the hinges rust loose, then the "lids" don't fit well as it would appear in the picture.a
This can only get worse until it is repaired correctly.
914itis
The engine is not a deal breaker at the right price and if the car has minimal rust,
It's easy and inexpensive to get another running engine. If rusted walk away . It's not easy to find a good chassis .
914runnow
Has a 73/74 bumper on it minus the bumperettes..
look for front end damage..

and other comments point to more $$ on a nicer car..
especialllllly if you can get a history and some docs on it...
5 to 10G USD will get you a decent example..
good luck...
rhodyguy
Note the rust in the bottom of drivers door jam. Hard to tell if that's rust in the bottom corner of the windshield. That's what I can see at a glance. Anticipate more. Color change?
gcrotvik
The two pictures show a color difference from the driver’s side door to the passenger's side front fender, including the front hood and cowl. From the pictures, I can't tell if the front or the rear of the car was repainted. My guess would be the whole front of the car was repainted. I would find out what was repainted and why.
Downunderman
I just paid exactly that for the same car; 72 yellow, but with side shifter, 2l motor, and less tidy. The critical issue is how much pox it has and where.

Mine is now floating south west slowly.
BuckmasterBC
Thanks all for your great comments - I decided to pass on this one as I really do want something running. As always, there are people here willing to help (even when noobs are just trying to figure things out).
blackmoon
Not a bad deal, I paid that for a good roller without a engine or transmission
malcolm2
QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Jan 1 2015, 04:45 PM) *

Since it will be your first 914, I would vote to pass on this car. Get something that is running. It may well be worth $2,500, but that would be for someone who knows exactly what he is getting into.

If you are willing and able to make repairs yourself, then it could be right up your alley.

Just depends on you and what you are after in this car. Driving it NOW or Working on it NOW? Fuel Injected or Carbs, are you willing to learn one or the other? If carbs, does the owner know when and why? did they change the cam?

If he does not know how long it has been sitting, check for registration and date codes on the tires.... 4812 in an oval would be manufactured in week 48 of 2012. no body puts new tires on a car that is not working, do they?

Get more info, but also poke around with a screw driver under the car. lift the carpet where you can. Like the rear trunk. Pull the passenger seat and look in that corner where the seat belt attaches. The cock-pit floor is covered with painted soundproofing tar, so you might not see much. Look around the edges of the tar and at the seat hinge. Take off the lower threshold panels, they look plastic or fiberglass and check the jack point. There is a post here somewhere that will tell you right where to look for rust.

Maybe someone from here will go look at it with you.

Good luck.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.