Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bench-Top Engine Stand
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
VWTortuga336
I'm thinking about buying this engine stand from JBugs.

http://www.jbugs.com/store/merchant.mvc?Se...oduct_Code=7010

Anyone ever used one?
02loftsmoor
They work fine, but you need a very good and heavy bench
TheCabinetmaker
I have that exact unit. The mounting ears don't fit properly and require modification. The ears are also weak and need gussets welded on to the bar to keep it from sagging at a certain position. I had to use long bolts with a small diameter spacer then the nuts to be able to mount the flywheel. Besides that, it works just fine. Lol
VWTortuga336
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Jan 2 2015, 04:31 PM) *

I have that exact unit. The mounting ears don't fit properly and require modification. The ears are also weak and need gussets welded on to the bar to keep it from sagging at a certain position. I had to use long bolts with a small diameter spacer then the nuts to be able to mount the flywheel. Besides that, it works just fine. Lol

dry.gif Doesn't sound like much fun. This one should be avoided, it sounds like.

I've got a substantial work bench to mount it on, I was just worried about the fit on the engine.

I don't plan on splitting the case on this one, just replacing the stock 94mm P/C with 96mm. Could that type of work be done on the bench, without a stand?
TheCabinetmaker
Yes. You can do it on the bench
type47
I keep replying to these posts about the MainleyCustomByDesign (no affiliation) adapter.
Click to view attachment
Use with the Harbor-Freight (no affiliation) engine stand.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(VWTortuga336 @ Jan 2 2015, 05:36 PM) *

dry.gif Doesn't sound like much fun. This one should be avoided, it sounds like.

I've got a substantial work bench to mount it on, I was just worried about the fit on the engine.

I don't plan on splitting the case on this one, just replacing the stock 94mm P/C with 96mm. Could that type of work be done on the bench, without a stand?

But it's a PITA.

I had 3 made 2, above mods plus I added the extra arm to each stand so now they are 3 arm stands.
VWTortuga336
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 2 2015, 05:50 PM) *

But it's a PITA.

I had 3 made 2, above mods plus I added the extra arm to each stand so now they are 3 arm stands.

Got an extra bench mount stand I could take off your hands?
URY914
I had to mod mine to get it to work too. Also it is find holding just the case but when you add the heads you better have a stick under it keeping it from falling on the floor.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(VWTortuga336 @ Jan 2 2015, 07:53 PM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 2 2015, 05:50 PM) *

But it's a PITA.

Got an extra bench mount stand I could take off your hands?

I have 4...but they all have engines on them smile.gif

Two are the above units they are OK for a longblock T4, but start to get sketchy once you put all the rest of the bits on. I don't like using a stick but I have done this.
I have one 5 arm I built, it will hold a full dressed T4 or a /6 longblock. Most likely it would hold a dressed /6 but it gets a bit bouncy so I'd rather not tempt fate.
The last one is a 5 arm factory copy on a HF stand. It's bulletproof, but the nose can be tippy if you were stupid about moving it around.
Luke M
QUOTE(VWTortuga336 @ Jan 2 2015, 02:35 PM) *

I'm thinking about buying this engine stand from JBugs.

http://www.jbugs.com/store/merchant.mvc?Se...oduct_Code=7010

Anyone ever used one?

I'm using one of these mounts for my transmission and works fine.

I use the adapter ring similar to the Mainley Custom By Design with a HF engine stand for my engine.
914Sixer
Go to theSamba and search engine stand mounts. Heavy duty made in the USA. 3,4,5 arm stands for any thing you would need.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.