Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Local Sacramento repair reference
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jack20
It's been a long time since I owned my last 914 or any Porsche. My trusted resources have all disappeared. There are certain tasks, like swapping out a transmission and clutch, which I need done now, that I just don't feel comfortable doing. I'm doing a light restoration on a very clean '74 2.0. I bought a rebuilt transaxle to replace my worn out unit and I'm getting the cold shoulder from one shop in town that was my first choice. They don't want to install a coustomer's own parts.
Does anyone who lives in the Sacramento area have any options?
Thank You,
Jack
SirAndy
Don't know of anyone in the Sac area, the closest i know would be McMark at Original Customs in Napa ...
idea.gif
jack20
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 2 2015, 02:19 PM) *

Don't know of anyone in the Sac area, the closest i know would be McMark at Original Customs in Napa ...
idea.gif

Thanks! I left him a message. Still hoping to find someone closer but it's good to have a backup.
Jack
Jeffs9146
QUOTE(jack20 @ Jan 2 2015, 02:47 PM) *

idea.gif

Thanks! I left him a message. Still hoping to find someone closer but it's good to have a backup.
Jack

The clutch/trans replacement/swap is one of the easiest repairs for a first timer to attempt. I would recomend you try it yourself!
palmer_md
I've not taken my car into them for any work, so take this with a grain of salt, but I have gone into their front office and "quizzed" them about repairs for my car and they gave good honest answers and they seem to know what they are talking about.

Downtown Sacramento is a bit closer to you than Napa, but I don't think you'll find anyone better than Original Customs based on 914 owner reviews.

http://www.ipb-autosport.com/

Sea Dragon 914
Tranny swap is very easy. I second that you try it yourself!

QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Jan 2 2015, 03:18 PM) *

idea.gif

Jack

The clutch/trans replacement/swap is one of the easiest repairs for a first timer to attempt. I would recomend you try it yourself!

jack20

idea.gif

Jack

Thanks Jeff. I have seriously considered doing that and I'm in good health but at 65 there are some tasks that I'd rather not be doing. Further, it's hard enough to get a shop to use my outside parts but may be even more difficult to fix my mistakes. I may get in there and find things I didn't expect then I'd really be in trouble.
Jack
jack20
QUOTE(jack20 @ Jan 2 2015, 04:21 PM) *

idea.gif

Jack

Thanks Jeff. I have seriously considered doing that and I'm in good health but at 65 there are some tasks that I'd rather not be doing. Further, it's hard enough to get a shop to use my outside parts but may be even more difficult to fix my mistakes. I may get in there and find things I didn't expect then I'd really be in trouble.
Jack

I see that at least 50 members have read this post and since I specified "sacramento" most of you are probably local. Maybe you do your own work as opposed to using a shop? Perhaps I should just bite into this, use the Pelican Parts tech article and see what happens. Otherwise other shop suggestions would be welcome.
Jack
EdwardBlume
Do it yourself.

The worst that can happen is that you mess everything up and then need to tow it somewhere.

You have lots of friends in the world as well...
Hank914
QUOTE(jack20 @ Jan 2 2015, 05:28 PM) *

idea.gif

Jack

Jack

I see that at least 50 members have read this post and since I specified "sacramento" most of you are probably local. Maybe you do your own work as opposed to using a shop? Perhaps I should just bite into this, use the Pelican Parts tech article and see what happens. Otherwise other shop suggestions would be welcome.
Jack

I just got done putting my tranny back in, with the muscle help of my non-mechanic son, and a jack to support it while we lined it up. Don't know about the clutch, but the transmission replacement is straight forward. Go with the Dr Evil transmission notes (http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=56892), as he knows the 914 transmissions quite well. And the Pelican articles. And get some local help from this community since many would not mind helping people out.

Good luck and have fun.
ConeDodger
He's on vacation in Hawaii right now but Ron Kain at IPB Autosport is good and a member here... driving.gif
jcd914
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jan 2 2015, 06:14 PM) *

He's on vacation in Hawaii right now but Ron Kain at IPB Autosport is good and a member here... driving.gif

Ron is a member here, I did not know that.
I have known Ron for around 15 years, probably more.
He is good and knowledgeable of 914s and runs an honest shop.
I even talked him into racing a 914 for awhile.

If you have the time & room to work on it your self, there are local resources if you get in over your head.
I'm in Carmichael and could provide advice but just have too much going on right now to offer much more than that.

Jim
ConeDodger
QUOTE(jcd914 @ Jan 2 2015, 06:39 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jan 2 2015, 06:14 PM) *

Ron is a member here, I did not know that.
I have known Ron for around 15 years, probably more.
He is good and knowledgeable of 914s and runs an honest shop.
I even talked him into racing a 914 for awhile.

If you have the time & room to work on it your self, there are local resources if you get in over your head.
I'm in Carmichael and could provide advice but just have too much going on right now to offer much more than that.

Jim

Pretty sure he is Jim... I'll tell him about something going on at 914world and he'll open it like its bookmarked.

By the way, McMark needs to talk with you...
raw1298
I am close by. I did my own but the engine was out. Are you replacing clutch and throw out bearing etc. While you are in there?
larryM

Thanks Jeff. I have seriously considered doing that and I'm in good health but at 65 there are some tasks that I'd rather not be doing. I may get in there and find things I didn't expect then I'd really be in trouble.
Jack

since you're clearly willing to pay shop rate,
check our Sac Valley region newsletter - the Drifter - several shops advert in it
SVR website

Midtown - IBP - Frank's Automotive - and of course, Niello

just as possibles imho - you may find - some PO might have %&*$$@% the heads of the axle CV bolts, & you have rusty exhaust bolts/nuts that have to be cut and possibly broken (or will break) head studs; & that the flywheel surface is in need of correction, and most likely the shift bushings are shot

(of course you will already have bought the clutch-TO kit & a new clutch cable since replacing all that is a must)

I have a maxjax lift and a transmission jack - and you could bring up the car (zip 95635 about 30 miles from Roseville) & your toolbox & do it yourself in one day - IF IF IF - it is simply a swap, & no other issues arise as noted above

- but you'd have to roll the car off if it ain't done in the day & come back later to finish the job ( it's in my carport - so that also means COLD WX work right now)

(i do have some of the likely replacement parts you'll need in my stash)

smash.gif this is not an offer to do the labor, since you are younger than me & likely stronger

jack20
QUOTE(raw1298 @ Jan 3 2015, 10:58 AM) *

I am close by. I did my own but the engine was out. Are you replacing clutch and throw out bearing etc. While you are in there?

Yes. All new clutch parts will be replaced. Thanks for the response.
Jack
jack20
QUOTE(larryM @ Jan 3 2015, 11:01 AM) *

Thanks Jeff. I have seriously considered doing that and I'm in good health but at 65 there are some tasks that I'd rather not be doing. I may get in there and find things I didn't expect then I'd really be in trouble.
Jack

since you're clearly willing to pay shop rate,
check our Sac Valley region newsletter - the Drifter - several shops advert in it
SVR website

Midtown - IBP - Frank's Automotive - and of course, Niello

just as possibles imho - you may find - some PO might have %&*$$@% the heads of the axle CV bolts, & you have rusty exhaust bolts/nuts that have to be cut and possibly broken (or will break) head studs; & that the flywheel surface is in need of correction, and most likely the shift bushings are shot

(of course you will already have bought the clutch-TO kit & a new clutch cable since replacing all that is a must)

I have a maxjax lift and a transmission jack - and you could bring up the car (zip 95635 about 30 miles from Roseville) & your toolbox & do it yourself in one day - IF IF IF - it is simply a swap, & no other issues arise as noted above

- but you'd have to roll the car off if it ain't done in the day & come back later to finish the job ( it's in my carport - so that also means COLD WX work right now)

(i do have some of the likely replacement parts you'll need in my stash)

smash.gif this is not an offer to do the labor, since you are younger than me & likely stronger

Larry, thanks for the message. In your "possibles" statement you pretty much described my concerns with doing this on my own. I really appreciate your offer of the lift and jack.
My current thinking is to have the work done at either IPB or Orig Customs.
If there comes a need for a particular part I will PM you. Thanks for that.

To all of you good folks who responded, thank you very much for all of your help.
Jack
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.