Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: the pop up headlight , can it be modifed
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
thelogo
I personally feel it's a unique cool ,old ,stylish character adding factory to these cars

But I know other s think otherwise , don't think any modern cars have em .

Acura N s x used too but phased it out .

How can a 914 headlight be reworked .

And is it legal to just use the lower fog light ? Position as a headlights and never turn on the
Pop ups

Everyone please sound off at least on your opinion of these headlights and

Any mods done to them
RickS
The lower fog area is too low to legally place a headlight.

I am a bit confused. You bought a classic car with hidden headlights which delight most people, with prices rising on collectability and you want to make it modern? Did you buy the right car?
Mark Henry
The 914 is about the only car that the pop-ups worked....leave them alone.

BTW fog lights are too low and would be illegal.
thelogo
http://m.caranddriver.com/features/pop-up-...they-go-feature

This was moderately informative

And I like the car and the novelty of the " hidden headlamp "

But maybe more so as secondary or additional extra light feature if possible

And yeh they got em right , mine are always operating smoothly

How about mounting headlights where the front licences plate is ???????????

thelogo

And can anyone knowledgeable describe the 928. Lamp in comparison to the simple pop up of the

Lowly teener

All hail 928.aka megatron

914 u stink
911 your reign is over

All hail 928.

Anybody poke.gif
bdstone914
QUOTE(thelogo @ Jan 2 2015, 11:22 PM) *

And can anyone knowledgeable describe the 928. Lamp in comparison to the simple pop up of the

Lowly teener

All hail 928.aka megatron

914 u stink
911 your reign is over

All hail 928.

Anybody poke.gif

They lay flat and pop up forward. Google 928 headlights image. Since you live in California you have to use a front license plate and headlights mounted there are l too low to be legal.
Larmo63
I think that 928 headlights, done right ($$) on a 914 might be really cool.

Or, you could delete/headlight the hood on your car and mount permanent Cibie type hood mounted lights where the popups are?
stugray
I have wondered about low profile LED headlights.
How small of a cross section is possible?

Could you fit smaller lamps and make it such that the stock light brackets come up only ~2"?
JeffBowlsby
As cool as the 914 headlights are, they are hidden when the car is off, making cleaning them easy to avoid. This can be a safety problem if you do not know how to raise them or forget to clean them.

The 928 design realized this and are laid back but exposed, to allow cleaning them at any time, and headlight squirters were provided on most 928s to boot.

Both are classic designs and appropriate for the car they were designed for.

"You cannot put 928 headlights on a 914". I dare you... happy11.gif
Hank914

Since you live in California you have to use a front license plate and headlights mounted there are l too low to be legal.

Does that even matter anymore? Do people who only use their lower lights instead of their Pop-ups get ticked? Do jacked up trucks with headlights too high (clearly illegal) get ticketed? Do people ever get ticketed for a lack of a legal front plate? I have a Euro front plate, I have never been stopped in Cali.

Lots of laws are routinely ignored (trucks or cars towing a trailer going over 55mph in CA, cars going over 70mph, dark window tint, etc, etc, etc).

I say do what you want. Everybody else does.
thelogo
While we're on this point ,

Is not having a 3rd brake light a illegal ???

And being a terrible electrician I'm just talkin out of my arse

But could you turn the front signal into a headlight , keeping the exact shape and use
The side markers as turn signals

Legal ?
Possible ?

And to the guy who said he had Euro plate on
Is that with your us licences plate number on the Euro plate
Or just random numbers or what
Jeff Hail

QUOTE(Hank914 @ Jan 2 2015, 10:20 PM) *

Since you live in California you have to use a front license plate and headlights mounted there are l too low to be legal.

Does that even matter anymore? Do people who only use their lower lights instead of their Pop-ups get ticked? Do jacked up trucks with headlights too high (clearly illegal) get ticketed? Do people ever get ticketed for a lack of a legal front plate? I have a Euro front plate, I have never been stopped in Cali.

Lots of laws are routinely ignored (trucks or cars towing a trailer going over 55mph in CA, cars going over 70mph, dark window tint, etc, etc, etc).

Rules are meant to be broken. A 935 is just a wolf in 911 clothing.
Hank914
"And to the guy who said he had Euro plate on
Is that with your us licences plate number on the Euro plate
Or just random numbers or what"

Not random. An original 1968 oval plate that West Germany issued for US spec but European Delivery vehicles meant to be driven around Germany for a few months before the owner ships the car to the states. Some people put that behind their rectangular US plates. But I only use that Euro plate on the front. I used to have the US plate ready to be tossed on the dashboard in case I get pulled over, but nobody cares. Other people get the custom Euro plates with 914 in the numbers that look like a German local (not tourist) license plate and leave them up front. Looks cool, and nobody bothers those drivers.
Cairo94507
That does not make it legal. Here in CA that carries no weight with cops.
bandjoey
Several threads on HL mods. Here. My phone doesn't do search well but try it out on the computer.
Jeffs9146
Don't park in SF without a front CA approved plate, you will get a ticket. Even if your plate is sitting in your windshield. The officer told me it has to be attached to the front or you are in violation! bootyshake.gif

SF's way of using all those plate readers for Dept of Homeland Security.
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(Hank914 @ Jan 2 2015, 10:20 PM) *

C'mon man...that does not make it right. You (they) just have not been caught yet.
Larmo63
There is a Sheriff motorcycle who sits down at the corner on P.C.H. and radars cars going north. I saw him Monday as I was making my turn, and with no front plate I thought I would and should put it on when I got home. I tried, it looked so awful, I took it right back off.
damesandhotrods
I know Santa Cruz California will pull you over for no front plate. Last year the local newspaper has had a steady stream of arrest reports for drivers stopped for no front plate…

I remember back in the 20th century when I went to high school California police officers would check bumper height; and all of the rest it during a stop if they didn’t like someone. But I think today the problem with too low headlights would be if there was an accident and you were dealing with a lawsuit instead of an officer…
rhodyguy
Here, you can only run without a front plate if you have the "collector vehicle" plate on the rear of the car. don't understand why washington doesn't issue fronts. Using the fogs as headlights will get you pulled over. BUT, you can jack your pickup way up, too the point of blinding on coming traffic with the headlights. Esp with super bright lamps. Even using euro tail lenses is a pull over if the trooper is bored and has nothing better to do....like being on the hunt for impaired drivers. " what kind of car is this sir?", " a fiat?". "NO!".
stugray
When I lived in LA in the 90s, they would not pull over a car even if it had NO PLATES.
They were far too busy with real crime to bother.
Now if they are harassing people over their bumper height, maybe they are getting too MUCH funding....
cpavlenko
No front plate required in Arizona, love it. piratenanner.gif
Mark Henry
hijacked.gif

To get this back on track one thing that has been done is the GT pop-up lights. Basicly the same pop-up lights but spring loaded, you have to manually press them back down. Done to remove the motors and associated kit for weight savings.
A search should find info on this mod.
scotty b
QUOTE(thelogo @ Jan 2 2015, 10:53 PM) *

The car did not originally come with a 3rd brake light so no, it is not illegal

But could you turn the front signal into a headlight , keeping the exact shape and use

Yes, it has been done. By a member here. It would be illegal in most states, however a lot of police probably wouldn't,know any different, and most wouldn't care as long as they were properly functional.

Legal ?
Possible ?

IMO 928 lights are hideous, even on " Megatrons wacko.gif " but if it floats your boat go for it. I'd venture to guess though, that TECHNICALLY that mod would be illegal. AFAIK in most all jurisdictions, the average mods we all do are probably illegal. I know for a fact in Va. ANY changes to the suspension or brakes are illegal. I have argued this point on my 944. It doesn't matter that I used factory calipers, that I do this for a living, or that I increased my braking. I modified it, therefore it is liable for an inspection failure if the tech actually knew any of this, and wanted to be a dickhead. I have had suspension mods heavily questioned, both lifted and lowered, and nothing I did was extreme. If, however you're not happy with the 914's odd looks there is always the Miata
scotty b
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 2 2015, 09:04 PM) *

You been into Dave's pee cup again? huh.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(scotty b @ Jan 4 2015, 05:01 PM) *

Yes, it has been done. By a member here. It would be illegal in most states, however a lot of police probably wouldn't,know any different, and most wouldn't care as long as they were properly functional.

Legal ?
Possible ?

IMO 928 lights are hideous, even on " Megatrons wacko.gif " but if it floats your boat go for it. I'd venture to guess though, that TECHNICALLY that mod would be illegal. AFAIK in most all jurisdictions, the average mods we all do are probably illegal. I know for a fact in Va. ANY changes to the suspension or brakes are illegal. I have argued this point on my 944. It doesn't matter that I used factory calipers, that I do this for a living, or that I increased my braking. I modified it, therefore it is liable for an inspection failure if the tech actually knew any of this, and wanted to be a dickhead. I have had suspension mods heavily questioned, both lifted and lowered, and nothing I did was extreme. If, however you're not happy with the 914's odd looks there is always the Miata

Reminds me of the TUV in Germany.
I re imported a bmw motorcycle and to get inspected I was required to remove all the side reflectors that had no bulbs, just reflectors.
It was not stock in Germany, therefore it must be removed.
Needless to say, they went right back on again after I got inspected.......cause it was safer.

Rich
Mark Henry
QUOTE(scotty b @ Jan 4 2015, 05:04 PM) *

I keep forgetting I'm one of the few owners with a wiring harness that hasn't been hacked by a DAPO. shades.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 4 2015, 03:39 PM) *

I keep forgetting I'm one of the few owners with a wiring harness that hasn't been hacked by a DAPO. shades.gif

Ahem...

924, 944, 928 ( yes a lot of those had issues ) slant nose 930's, MX-5, RX-7, Vette's, multiple Ferrari's, most Lambo's, Cord, Maserati

All ( and probably more I'm not remembering ) used pop ups for MANY years, and most worked just fine slap.gif
balljoint

dry.gif

Please see my WTB thread in the sandbox.

My 914s, that's plural, not a reference to an imaginary iteration, have never had any issues with the pop up headlights functioning.

mellow.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(balljoint @ Jan 4 2015, 10:58 PM) *

dry.gif

My 914s, that's plural, not a reference to an imaginary iteration, have never had any issues with the pop up headlights functioning.

mellow.gif

WTF.gif
Are you selling all your 914,s now?
What about the beetle?
balljoint
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 4 2015, 11:05 PM) *

QUOTE(balljoint @ Jan 4 2015, 10:58 PM) *

dry.gif

mellow.gif

WTF.gif
Are you selling all your 914,s now?
What about the beetle?

My 914 is for sale.

My Bug is not.
Dave_Darling
Neo914 has put small high-intensity lamps in where the turn signal pods go.

Mike Bellis has replaced the pop-ups with low-profile fixed lights.

Others have replaced the pop-ups with low-profile pop-ups.

--DD
oldschool
piratenanner.gif 928 on a 914 I think would really be cool.....just like the lambo's ok Photoshop boy's lets get busy. cheer.gif
mgp4591
QUOTE(scotty b @ Jan 4 2015, 03:01 PM) *

Legal ?
Possible ?

But Scotty, you live in a state where you can't even have a cardboard box on your dashboard that LOOKS like a radar detector! COMMUNISTS!!! ar15.gif
Rrrockhound
Lots have things have been done with the Miata's flip-up lights. Some more tasteful than others. Search Google images for Miata headlight mod.

IPB Image
r_towle
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jan 5 2015, 02:23 AM) *

Others have replaced the pop-ups with low-profile pop-ups.

--DD

Who did that and do you have pictures?
Rand
The low profile is something I was going to do. Eliminate the motors like a GT kit but instead of the springs popping them up and having to push them each back down by hand, I wanted to have springs hold them down and use cables to a lever in the cabin that pulls them up just enough for the small diameter lights. Then the same lever could lower them down again.

The popups are part of the character of the car to me, so I wouldn't eliminate them. But that's personal preference.
Dave_Darling
Sorry, no concrete references. It was someone on here, though.

--DD
JeffBowlsby
Mike Bellis!

"I have Nissan 240sx lights modified to fit in the pop up space. I'm not a fan of the look or drag created by the pop up lights."

Dave_Darling
I think someone used 300ZX headlights, which are still pop-ups but are shorter than the stock ones. So they only need to come up halfway.

I'm sure that it required a bunch of work, though.

--DD
r_towle
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jan 6 2015, 01:06 PM) *

I think someone used 300ZX headlights, which are still pop-ups but are shorter than the stock ones. So they only need to come up halfway.

--DD

shorter arm off the motor would do the trick I think....not sure.
I need to go play around with the setup and see if its possible with the same motor etc, but smaller headlights.

rich
Rotary'14
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 6 2015, 10:25 AM) *

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jan 6 2015, 01:06 PM) *

--DD

shorter arm off the motor would do the trick I think....not sure.
I need to go play around with the setup and see if its possible with the same motor etc, but smaller headlights.

rich

I would think you would also need to shorten the connecting arm too. At least that's what my armchair engineering tells me.
Here's what I got so far,,, I still need to make a clear lexan covers, but the light output looks great. The lights open about 1/2 way,, I use the manual knobs with the HL relays pulled, but I think if I modify the stock HL linkage a bit, the lights will work like stock. I'm looking for a local machinist that will do small jobs.

How I mocked up my lights,,,
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...amp;hl=bi+xenon

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.