Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Solar Battery Trickle Chargers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Big Len
I store my car for the winter in a garage with no electricity and have disconnected the Optima battery for the winter.

Does anyone have experience with a solar trickle charger? If so, which model.

Would they work with the Optima?

Is it even necessary for 4 months of non use?

Thanks, Len
02loftsmoor
yes they will work with Optima, we use them on truck fleets work great
stugray
But you ....are storing it...... in a garage.....

I bought a Walmart maintenance trickle charger.
Big Len
QUOTE(stugray @ Jan 3 2015, 01:43 PM) *

But you ....are storing it...... in a garage.....

I bought a Walmart maintenance trickle charger.

In a garage with no juice.
stugray
In a garage with no juice.

Then you might want to consider a small solar install.
They even have kits at Costco that would give you the capability of car battery trickle charge and a few lights.
StratPlayer
I got one of these units to use with my travel trailer, it might be helpful in what you are trying to do.
http://www.amazon.com/Starter-Kit-100W-Con...y/dp/B00DCEKKQ0
MMW
What about popping the battery out & bringing to your place? That way it's warm, you can check it easily & if you have a regular charger just put it on for an hour or two every few weeks?

That being said my buddy uses a solar charger for his camping trailer batteries on his hunting property. Says it works great unless it gets covered in snow.
monkeyboy
I use one on my truck that I don't drive much. It has two large Odyssey batteries in it and they stay charged. But the truck is stored outside.

bigkensteele
I use one on my riding mower. Does a pretty decent job as far as I can tell. I think that the one I have only peaks at 1.5A on a sunny day, but I can't ask for much more for $20.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.