Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 901 style 2.2 pressure plate removal?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
a914622
So a local guy is building a 2.2 with the 901 box behind it. He needs a throw out bearing and pressure plate. I have one but it's still on the 72 911 gear box. How in the hell does that come off? Do you have to take the 10mm off the clutch lever?

Thanks. Jcl
Cap'n Krusty
Different clutch parts, although they look similar. To remove the 2.4 trans from the engine, just pull the tranny away from the engine, the release fork will pivot to disengage itself from the release bearing. For the 2.2, you move the lever away from the notches on the bearing until the arm clears the bearing, turn the bearing until the arm clears the flats, then pull the tranny away.

As for the "901", I hope you're simply calling the "911" by the wrong name, because using a 2.2 clutch on a true "901" will require some rather extensive machine work to the case in order to relocate the release arm pivot. The '72 release arm is on a vertical shaft in the bell housing, the '70-'71 is a pivoted fork which looks kinda like that of a 901 or 914 tranny. Again, it IS NOT the same, and the parts DO NOT interchange.

The Cap'n
Mark Henry
They interchange if you make them interchange. biggrin.gif

You can cut, bend and weld the arm to a shape that works.
This I did on my '67 bug, works as good as stock, maybe better.

What exactly is your buddy doing?... and post some pics.

BTW "Turning the bearing" is done through the window, top of case, backside of the bellhousing.
If you are totally stuck or someone took the engine off, but left the flywheel/PP on the trans, there is a way. Let me know if this is the case.
a914622
Yes your right it's a 911/02. The case is the 901 style not the. 915.

And yes the engine is off the trans but the pp and bearing are not? I read the the bearing just needs to be rotated but I can't get it to budge. Do I have to find a flywheel to bolt back on?
Mark Henry
QUOTE(a914622 @ Jan 4 2015, 10:57 AM) *

Yes your right it's a 911/02. The case is the 901 style not the. 915.

And yes the engine is off the trans but the pp and bearing are not? I read the the bearing just needs to be rotated but I can't get it to budge. Do I have to find a flywheel to bolt back on?

OK I ran into this with my 911-901, I'll have to check my notes but IIRC you will have to bolt it back onto an engine and flywheel (just flywheel alone is not good enough) or you have to remove the trans nosecone and undo the big nut.

Don't go prying, you will just break something.
Mikey914 has new nosecone gaskets.
a914622
Thanks
crap that's what I was afraid of.
Mark Henry
I can't seem to find it, I can only find a thread where I asked the same question.
I know for sure I took the nose cone off, slacked the big nut and it took the pressure off enough to turn the release bearing.
It's not that hard and you can put it all back together no problem.
ClayPerrine
Some idiot removed the pressure plate to flywheel bolts because he/she couldn't figure out how to release the throwout bearing. You need to have the pressure plate, complete with clutch disk, bolted to an engine. Now the pressure plate is sitting against the case and has the throwout arm wedged.

A possible alternative would be to use a wrench and unscrew the throwout arm pivot bolt from the trans case. It would have to be done through the throwout arm hole. I have never tried it with the pressure plate right up against it, so I am not sure this would work. Don't lose the spring behind the fork.

BTW.. this makes a great setup for a 914-6 clutch. I have one in my six conversion. If you use a 75 911 clutch cable, it becomes a straight pull, no pulley and no stress on the clutch tube in the chassis. It will work with a stock 3.2 flywheel. No need for an aftermarket flywheel. And you get the 225mm clutch instead of the 215mm 901 clutch. The downside is the throwout bearing is over 400.00 these days.

I know it works. I have one in my car.

Mark Henry
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jan 4 2015, 06:46 PM) *

A possible alternative would be to use a wrench and unscrew the throwout arm pivot bolt from the trans case. It would have to be done through the throwout arm hole. I have never tried it with the pressure plate right up against it, so I am not sure this would work. Don't lose the spring behind the fork.

BTDT, should be BTTT as in "Been There Tried That", good luck with that.
Just keep in mind if you are forcing something or think you might break something you will.

My method took seconds (OK 5 minutes) and as soon as that nut was slacked off it let go easy-peasy.

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jan 4 2015, 06:46 PM) *

The downside is the throwout bearing is over 400.00 these days.

What's a VGC used one worth? Pressed apart, inspected, cleaned and repacked with swepco 201.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.