Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What gauge wire?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Kerrys914
I am making an engine bay harness for my SIX and need to order some colored wire. I want to be sure to order the correct size. Is it 16 or 14 gauge?

Cheers
Series9
It depends on what it's for, but the majority of wiring in a 914 is closer to 18 ga.
scruz914
Right, it depends on what the wire is powering. I do believe though that bigger can be better but the engineers did a lot of work to size the wires right the first time. Even the gound wires are different sizes. Fitting a group of wires through existing grommets or protective casing can be a hassle if you go too much larger than OEM.
Kerrys914
Thanks..

Looks like 16 gauge will be fine.
Dave_Darling
With wiring, it is always better to err on the side of wires that are too large, rather than too small. (Unless you get so large that the wires won't physically fit where you need to route them, at any rate.)

Check the wiring diagrams. They will have little numbers on the wire lines. Those numbers are the diameter of the wire (the metal part, not the insulation) in millimeters. There are mm/gauge conversion tables around somewhere, and those will tell you what sort of gauge the original wires were.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.