Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Custom Metal Bodywork DVD
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Member Vendors
John Kelly
Custom Metal Bodywork #1 DVD is ready for shipping (finally).

Stretching , shrinking, and smoothing sheet metal using simple tools and techniques.

Make fender flares by stretching the existing sheet metal.

Make flares from scratch using roll-forming.

Learn how to use a hammer and dolly.

Use a shrinking disc for custom shaping and metal-finishing.

Homemade tools, and using air tools to speed things up.

A little bit about design and using templates, and flow strips.

The main focus is on the Porsche 914, and the Karmann Ghia, but these techniques will work on a lot of different cars.

The DVD is $40 delivered in the US. It comes in a simple DVD sleeve to keep packaging and shipping costs down.

A small percentage of DVD players will not play DVD-R, but DVD players are cheap these days. If there is enough interest, I will make VHS tapes available as well.

Thank you for waiting for this DVD. I have complete control of Custom Metal Bodywork #2, so it should be available this summer. This is my first effort at video, so please forgive minor glitches in the video. Hundreds of hours went into making it.

Custom Metal Bodywork #2 will go into more detail on scratch built flares, showing more techniques for bending solid stock and tubing for edge structures, roll-forming metal over your leg (#1 has some of this) or a saw horse, stretching and smoothing metal off the car to speed up custom work. We will branch out to other custom projects that will help you make almost any body modification you desire.

Also in the works over the next year or so: A DVD on body work /dent repair, fixing oil-can dents, and metal-finishing for the do-it-yourselfer. Let me know if you are interested. Lots of interest will speed up the project.

I accept paypal using my email address: ghiafab@msn.com or a check made out to John Kelly:

John Kelly
13112 3rd NW
Seattle WA

Here is my album showing a little bit of the work:

http://allshops.org/cgi-bin/community/comm...d=9980138836765

Thanks, John www.ghiaspecialties.com

Not quite finished flare...
John Kelly
And the other style of flare in the video...
GaroldShaffer
John a check went out in todays mail. Thank you for doing this. I can't wait! boldblue.gif
John Kelly
Thanks Garold,

If you email me your address right away, I might be able to get it in todays mail for you: ghiafab@msn.com
BatFromHell
Do you do any fibreglass work and are you currently
making any DVD's/Videos on how to do fibreglass repairs
or molds for producing body parts?

thanks
BatFromHell
scotty b
QUOTE (BatFromHell @ Apr 7 2005, 10:21 PM)
Do you do any fibreglass work and are you currently
making any DVD's/Videos on how to do fibreglass repairs
or molds for producing body parts?

thanks
BatFromHell

Fiberglass is a piece of cake,and when you do it properly it is quite strong. Go to a local marine store or search online for the West System fiberglass repair manual. It is a good starting point and will tell about different types of glass and resin. It is written for boat repair but is still informative. Also one of the VW mags recently did a several issue article about fiberglass and C.F. that was very good,possibly better than the West System book because the mag writup dealt with auto applications. I use West System products when cost is not a factor, they are considerably more $ than what you buy at the FLAP, but is a better product and comes with measured pumps, so you get the EXACT right mixture. West System also dries clear where FLAPS products are either yellow or green, that only matters on C.F. though. Sorry so long hope it helps. confused24.gif
BatFromHell
Thanks for the info Scotty_b.
I will check out both sources for the fiberglass info.
John Kelly
Sorry I did not snswer...haven't checked the resources forum for a while. Scotty has got you covered...I hate fiberglass, but it is pretty easy to work with.

John www.ghiaspecialties.com
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.