beerchug.gif

M.i.M.
Mark Henry
Thats been on here before might be good for a real 914/6 but it's just 110hp
If you go down this path spend just a bit more for a running 3.2
914Sixer
Also listed on theSamba at one time.
gereed75
Does not strike me as a great deal unless you really want a 2.0 liter and the seller can prove it is in very good shape (recent documented rebuild). Or if you are looking for that S/N to match your car
mepstein
Won't be much longer before $7500 for a small 6 is considered a steal. Looks like a nice engine. Think about how much a nice running 4 sells for now. A good 6 should last many miles more than a 4. I have often thought if the 1.7 goes in my car, I would look for a small 6 to replace it. Leave the rest of the car stock.
haycait911
there's at least $2k worth of webers sitting on it. with the price of a good 914-6 hitting $70k, it's not a terrible deal. especially if the number is close to what you need.
gereed75
QUOTE(haycait911 @ Jan 6 2015, 05:26 PM) *

there's at least $2k worth of webers sitting on it. with the price of a good 914-6 hitting $70k, it's not a terrible deal. especially if the number is close to what you need.

Agree with all, but if you are not confident that you can bolt it in and run it as is, then figure on at least the price of a seal kit to pull it apart, check it and reassemble (doing the work yourself) and at least $4000.00 if it needs set right.

The only way to be confident that it is a serviceable runner is documentation of a recent competent rebuild and maybe some leakdown numbers. Without those it is a crap shoot and potentially an expensive core.

Known core (no proof of being good) are getting expensive too, even small bore ones. But that number is more in line with a "good" serviceable motor, not a core.
reharvey
If you can't hear it run it's just a rebuildable core.
haycait911
QUOTE(reharvey @ Jan 6 2015, 11:00 PM) *

yup. that's the way I figure it. if I see it run and it has good numbers, it's a running engine..... today.....maybe not tomorrow.

I tend to buy running engines assuming a rebuild-able core. if not running, not even that.

the problem with original 914-6 engines is that they didn't rust. whereas the cars rusted very well. so there's a lot more 914-6 engines out there than cars. and as previously mentioned, unless you have a really good reason for wanting the lowest powered flat six porsche ever built, there are many better and more exciting options out there for the buck.
carr914
QUOTE(haycait911 @ Jan 7 2015, 01:34 AM) *

QUOTE(reharvey @ Jan 6 2015, 11:00 PM) *

the problem with original 914-6 engines is that they didn't rust. whereas the cars rusted very well.

Magnesium deteriorates, gets brittle & breaks. This can be a lot worse than body rust
GulleyGulley
I sold my good running 914-6 engine two years ago for quite a bit less. Webers, etc. No one really wanted a heavy 110hp engine when you can build a lighter and more powerful 4 banger or go with a bigger six for about the same money.
gereed75
What is the correct 914-6 shroud color??
914itis
QUOTE(GulleyGulley @ Jan 7 2015, 01:24 PM) *

I sold my good running 914-6 engine two years ago for quite a bit less. Webers, etc. No one really wanted a heavy 110hp engine when you can build a lighter and more powerful 4 banger or go with a bigger six for about the same money.

beer3.gif driving-girl.gif
rick 918-S
I'm pretty sure black shroud and not webers. No air cleaner, no tin, and a 2.0.

Unless it's for you exact car it's just a low hp heavy engine in need of an expensive rebuild and lots of parts expensive missing parts.

Good luck getting 2k for a set of unknown webers. Half that price and then a bunch of cash to get them right is a good day.

We have seen these here several times over the last year. Some crazy prices like 15K and stuff confused24.gif

fixer34
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jan 8 2015, 05:06 PM) *

I'm pretty sure black shroud and not webers. No air cleaner, no tin, and a 2.0.

Unless it's for you exact car it's just a low hp heavy engine in need of an expensive rebuild and lots of parts expensive missing parts.

Good luck getting 2k for a set of unknown webers. Half that price and then a bunch of cash to get them right is a good day.

We have seen these here several times over the last year. Some crazy prices like 15K and stuff confused24.gif

I believe the carbs are Webers, but at least one of them is missing some parts (linkage). The shroud should be black, and mine has a gray air duct riveted to the black cover that extends back by the oil pressure sensor.
As noted, a lot of the tin work is missing. Flywheel?? Distributor?? And the best part-the mounting strap for the alternator/fan is installed backwards. The label should be facing the other way.
haycait911
wrong fan assembly. which is funny because the one he has on there is worth twice what the correct one would be.

as mentioned above, correct 914-6 shroud is black with a grey air duct.

don't quote me but I seem to recall the 914-6 came with Weber IDT carbs, not IDA.

also, to Rick 918-S and everyone else. I'll happily pay $1k a pair for all the Webers you guys can come up with happy11.gif
Cairo94507
That should be out of a '71 Six, right?
mskala
The whole thing is sort-of nonsense for the price. Basically, if you have a
'71 914-6 or possibly the exact car for this engine case, then you would be
a happy guy, although you would probably have zero interest in the incorrect
fan/shroud, broken incorrect green shroud, incorrect carbs, and would need a
_lot_ of 914-6 specific parts to complete. Or, if you don't have a 914-6 then
this is just a $7500 non-running early magnesium case with unknown internals
of probably low HP and you can see from the pics it is just a bunch of random
parts thrown onto it (though webers have real value).

The funny part that shows this was not simply taken out of running car and
maybe a few parts sold off, is that the fan belt is not even tight.

james wallace
Hi Everyone,

The motor is sold, it brought close to asking and is going into an original 914-6. This motor was represented as a rebuildable core to all those who inquired, nothing more. It did not even come out of a running car, as I never got to see the car! The OEM Webers were Porsche OEM, but not to the the 914-6. I also made that clear to all who inquired. The only time I ever list a motor as complete and running is if I bench tested it myself, or drove it in the car. I think it's important to know what you're starting with, and who you're dealing with- considering the hours and parts to rebuild, not to mention today's somewhat difficult machining environment and the number of trips to and from!

Being involved with the right guys who have been rebuilding the early Porsche motors for some 30-40 years is an immense help in pricing cores and runners in todays marketplace. If I could still buy decent rebuildable cores at 2K, I'd try to buy them all. It is quite clear as all of these P cars continue to appreciate that builders will also be paying more for their cores than in years past. Even the Webers can be upwards of 1500-2k for rebuilds. Ugh.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.