Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: engine hesitation issues
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rosenfe
my 73 2.0 started hesitating just this week when i rev at end of 1,2,3 gear,acts as though its not getting fuel,and it will just die if i come to an stop.i can get it started again,but it takes a bit of cranking. it will then run well and i have to keep revs up to avoid it dying at a stop .i changed fuel filters,have not changed tank sock.fuel pump is running.it has 2- 34 carbs, fairly new..

is this enough info to get some opinions.i wonder if either the fuel sock is full of crap or fuel pump is bad.it too is fairly new.
colingreene
the fuel sock you can check easily. start there work your way back
do you have inline filters on the carbs?
rhodyguy
Agreed on the tank strainer sock/filter. Can you make the stumble occur while parked and keeping the engine at driving rpm?
rosenfe
i have 2 inline filters,clear and then the plastic aluminum one,i changed both of them.at idle if i rev no stumble.this issue has progressively gotten worse.it began as a very slight stumble under load.then car would die at idle as though it was not getting gas.yesterday i drove to work for about an hour and there was a hesitaion occasionally.on way home ,it dies as i was slowing down on freeway.got it started after a lot of cranking,could hear fuel pump running.the rest of way home i had to keep revs up whenever i came to a stop.it finally dies again at top of driveway allowing me to coast to my garage.

do i need to take tank out for sock filter.or can i get it from below.

just wondering if the electric inline fuel pump is going,or if pressure regulator is bad.i do get quite a bit of smoke on startup.
rhodyguy
Rotary or facet pump? I think you might be able to replace the sock with the tank in but pulling the tank isn't that big of a chore. Great opportunity to get the tank nice and clean. Use the fp to empty the tank and look down the fill neck with a flashlight while the tank is still in place. Typically the sock gets sucked flat when it's all gummed up and under vacuum. The vacuum eases when the pump isn't running and may allow some fuel to exit the tank.
rosenfe
ill take tank out,had it out several months ago,should have changed sock then. ,good idea about useing fuel pump to empty tank.sock getting sucked flat makes sense.
rosenfe
not sure about rotart vs facet.its an inline electric is all i know,added after converting to carbs
rhodyguy
Does the pump make a 'whirring' or a rattelly/ clacking sound while running? The facet pumps are squarish and the rotary is round.
rosenfe
its round ,making a whirring sound.must be rotary.
rhodyguy
Is there a smallish metal canister still attached to the supply side of the pump?
rosenfe
ive gotten tank out,but dont see how i get to sock inside.any tricks to changing out sock.?ive taken nuts off of bottom inlet and outlet pipes,and removed the copper pipes.one to screen had debris in it,sock looks intact viewing it from filler hole.
rosenfe
do the threaded nipples on bottom of gas tank that copper pipes insert into just pull out the bottom after nut removal?
bdstone914
QUOTE(rosenfe @ Jan 6 2015, 07:45 PM) *

do the threaded nipples on bottom of gas tank that copper pipes insert into just pull out the bottom after nut removal?

Yes but they can get stuck. Try to rotate them to break them loose. Twist and pull.

rhodyguy
Does the sock look like it's sucked flat? Rotary914 has the proper washers for reassembly.
rosenfe
viweing from above sock is not flat..i will have it out today or tommorow,but i did find crap in the copper pipe attched to sock side of tank.as you said, im starting at tank,if problem persists i will change out fuel pump.it certainly cant hurt to change sock.
rosenfe
i did get washers and sock from aa.
rosenfe
so im following up with my fuel starvation issue.after changing sock,filters i still had the problem.in fact now i was getting no fuel to pump at all.pump works,but i realized that plastic fuel hose to rubber taper hose from 9.5mm to 8 was old and getting crimped with the bend required to turn 90 degrees and connect to filter and pump.

i dont want to replace plastic to stainless steel at this time,but did notice that tangerine has a short curved ss line that is the same as rubber taper hose with 9.5 on one end to fit over plastic fuel hose and 8 on other end ot fit fuel hose to filter and pump.

im trying to think of any alternative way to bush down without having to buy ss hose from tangerine.any ideas,its a tight fit with pump pressure regulator and filters.
mepstein
I'm not sure why you wouldn't go with a proven solution like tangerine. There have been 914's that have caught on fire and burned to the ground due to old plastic fuel lines. Tangerine has all the proper parts to do it right.
Dave_Darling
You can make a step-down piece out of larger and smaller hoses plus brass plumbing supplies. It will take up more space than the SS line specifically built for this purpose, though.

--DD
rosenfe
so what brass pieces are you referring to?.what diameter of brass should i use?
rosenfe
if i use a 3/8 hose to plastic pipe,what would fit in other end that could be stepped down to the .
rosenfe
its cheaper to use tangering 90 degree step down ss line
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(rosenfe @ Jan 21 2015, 08:33 AM) *

so what brass pieces are you referring to?.what diameter of brass should i use?

Two barbed fittings and an adapter that they both screw into. One of the right size for the larger line, one of the right size for the smaller line. You could measure the hoses or take them with you, or just convert the Inner Diameters from metric to standard to see what size barbed fittings...

This will take up more room than a dedicated step-down piece, and it has two more joints that could possibly leak. So make sure you're confident in your plumbing skills before going this route.

--DD
rosenfe
yes that would work ,thanks
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.