Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2.0L Engine Parts Value?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
VWTortuga336
I've completed the tear down of my 2.0L engine that had been sitting with water in it for 10+ years. The internals have surface rust and will need to be checked out by a machine shop before being re-used. As this is my first engine build, I've decided to to buy a "new" (to me) engine, rather than salvage mine. I'd like to sell what I can, but since I'm new to this, I'm not sure where to price them, or if some of the parts are worth anything at all. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Oil pickup tube and windage tray
Cam & lifters
71mm Crankshaft
Connecting rods
Complete cooling tin
Oil cooler
Cooling fan
Cooling fan shroud
3 bolt cylinder heads (listed here for $400)
Complete set of valves, springs & retainers
Valve covers and bales
Mechanical advance distributor
Push rods & tubes
Rocker arm assemblies
Oil filter adapter
Weber 40 IDF intakes (listed here for $70)
r_towle
most of what you have listed is not worth much at all.
Sell the heads with valves and retainers, you might get the 400 you are asking, but not bare.

Engine tin is not for sale new , so best price would be all cleaned up and powder coated.

Oil coolers are not available new, so cleaned, boiled and tested has value.

Crank might be worth 100 to the right person, but its a core crank at best that needs machine work if it sat in water.

rich
rhodyguy
asking prices for parts have plummeted over the last 2 year for what i consider readily available used items. as rich said, most of your items don't have that much value. factor in time to break the engine down, clean the stuff up so they're presentable in your ad, run the ad, box the stuff up, get shipping quotes, hope the buyer doesn't flake due the shipping $, drive to the shipping company, stand in line there, drive home, replenish the fuel expended, and your working for just about 50 cents an hour.
stugray
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 6 2015, 12:47 PM) *

Engine tin is not for sale new , so best price would be all cleaned up and powder coated.

agree.gif That was the item I saw that might be worth the most.

QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 6 2015, 12:47 PM) *

Oil coolers are not available new, so cleaned, boiled and tested has value.

http://www.socalautoparts.com/product_info...e-stock-p-12366
$60

It is a really bad idea to re-use a used oil cooler unles you know the story behind it.
barefoot
I would not try to sell the valves separately, especially the exhausts as they may be ready to fracture. Here's one of my sodium filled examples:

Click to view attachment

Dave_Darling
Or you could sell the whole thing to Good Ol' George, and he'll sell all the bits as "extra special race versions"... wink.gif

--DD
VWTortuga336
http://ebay.com/itm/331380879203?nav=SEARCH

http://ebay.com/itm/121340597457?nav=SEARCH

On the heads, are these guys on eBay crazy for asking $500 apiece, or am I crazy for only asking $400 for the pair screwy.gif

rhodyguy
Ebay and some vendors are not 914WORLD. Yes, those ebay consignees have unrealistic expectations. You never bothered to take and post pictures. Folks here like to see GOOD detailed pictures. Clean, within reason, parts. Esp if they're dropping 4 bills.
VWTortuga336
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jan 6 2015, 07:32 PM) *

You never bothered to take and post pictures.

Sorry for the delay, just got back in town from Holiday travel. My classifieds ad is now updated with pics. If I missed a detail that should be included, please let me know.

Yes, those ebay consignees have unrealistic expectations.

That's what I was thinking, but I just wanted to confirm with people who knew what they were talking about. That's a big price difference and wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

r_towle
QUOTE(VWTortuga336 @ Jan 6 2015, 09:34 PM) *

You never bothered to take and post pictures.

Sorry for the delay, just got back in town from Holiday travel. My classifieds ad is now updated with pics. If I missed a detail that should be included, please let me know.

Yes, those ebay consignees have unrealistic expectations.

That's what I was thinking, but I just wanted to confirm with people who knew what they were talking about. That's a big price difference and wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

You would be missing the crack pipe he is smoking.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.