Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tach for my SIX
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Trekkor
My engine uses the point and condenser ignition.
The SIX tach I had was for a car with the Bosch CDI box module. Not compatible. wrong idle speed and "floaty" needle after that.

the FOUR tach however is very responsive and constant, just 150% too high. headbang.gif

Question is this: besides paying $275 to have my tach refaced and recalibrated, is there a Radio Shack electronic componet that could be wired before the Tach to "calibrate" it? In affect tricking the tach into thinking I still have a FOUR? unsure.gif

Anbody got a pre '69 SIX tach that goes up to at least 8k RPM's?

I don't want to use a "Sun" or "Auto-Meter" guage.
VDO is what I want.

KT
SirAndy
QUOTE (trekkor @ Feb 4 2005, 10:00 AM)
the FOUR tach however is very responsive and constant, just 150% too high. headbang.gif

just play with different resistors until it goes down to 100% ...

wink.gif Andy

PS: i'm not sure if this works btw., i don't know how the tach signal actually looks like when it get's to the gauge ... i can't imagine it to be a steady current ...
mightyohm
How about adding a CDS ignition to the engine?? Something you should do for racing anyway...

Cheaper than paying $275 for a recalibrated tach!!!!! (Ouch.)

Root_Werks
Dude, don't get rid of the 911 tach you have. If it is for the 3 pin CD box, keep it. Now, go out and find a 3 pin CD box (used is fine) or spend $150 on one of the MSD 6A CD's.

You will spend $$ on another tach or an ignition upgrade. Spend it on the ign upgrade.

If you find a 3 pin CD box, let me know, I can send you the wirring diagram for it. Easy hook up. Keep the points, loose the condensor (points trigger the box).

Oh, I guess the coil would have to go as well. Trust me, it is a much better system. I might even have a 3 pin box if your interested. Coil too. idea.gif
Dr Evil
I am not certain about the particulars (it would take me a while to relearn the required info to change things), but the resistor will not work. The gauge reads a signal that is either a box wave or saw wave, etc. The /4 gauge is calibrated to read the pulses in clusters of 4, the /6 in 6/. If you could find out what electronic component is different in the tach you could easily change it and it could only cost $.50. I may have to do this later. It depends on how my MJLJ works.

Sorry that I couldn't bee more help, but you can search based on what I told you and maybe find something.
Britain Smith
Hey Trekkor, I have a early 911 tach that goes to 8K. I will sell it to you for the price I paid, I will have to check how much that was. I will actually be up in that area this weekend picking up a glider chair for the wife.

-Britain

BTW: This is my 1000 post!!! smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif
Trekkor
I'm going to sport the MSD. wink.gif ( mods already, I know, Nathan )
Sooooo, which 911 tach will I want to use that requires no mods?

KT
SirAndy
QUOTE (jkeyzer @ Feb 4 2005, 10:11 AM)
How about adding a CDS ignition to the engine??  Something you should do for racing anyway...

that's what i told him. but trekkor is not very good at "listening" ...

biggrin.gif Andy
Trekkor
trekkor is not very good at "listening" ...

WRONG! Brad must be with you. That's something he would say dry.gif

Decision made after listening, in just the last hour wink.gif

Hmmmph.... confused24.gif
J P Stein
Any of the "big wire" 911 tachs will work. I use a 71.
I think Dan said this before.....but you weren't listening laugh.gif
They also work with an MDS6AL without an adaptor. The 6AL has a rev limiter. Summit Racin' for the best price.
Dad Roberts
Who are you talking to about recal. your tach? United Speedometer in Riverside did mine several years ago, but I don't remeber it bein near that much. I do know they can handle all VDO guages. driving.gif ......Dad
Trekkor
Palo Alto Speedo...
drew365
Here's my 8k tach. I had it calibrated for my Electromotive crank fire ignition. I don't remember what North Hollywood Speedo charged me. I seem to remember a thread on the bird board, one member was an electrical engineer and gave a detailed discription of how he recalibrated his tach for next to nothing in parts. Might be worth a search.
smrz914
You will have to do a little adjustment on some of the components. If you use a stock ignition then you don't need to change the input signal.

Tach Conversion
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.