Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Visit to McClusky Ltd.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
euro911
I recently had a chat with Mike McClusky and plan to visit his shop which is located at the Torrance Airport. I met Mike back in the early 70's when one of my a co-workers at United Airlines and I went to look at two Austin Mini-Coopers that Mike was selling. That's when I found out that they build aluminum-bodied AC Bristol/Cobras from scratch blink.gif

While there, I plan to ask if he would be up for a group tour of his facility (if there's enough interest) idea.gif

Let me know if this something that might interest any of you and I'll see what we can come up with confused24.gif

McClusky LTD. Web Site
john77
Definitely interested. driving.gif
monkeyboy
Me and Dad would both be interested. You know how he is about Fords!
Tom_T
Mark, I'd be interested if the day/time work with my schedule.

Thanx! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Blue6
Definitely! flag.gif
pdlightning
QUOTE(euro911 @ Jan 6 2015, 09:21 PM) *

I recently had a chat with Mike McClusky and plan to visit his shop which is located at the Torrance Airport. I met Mike back in the early 70's when one of my a co-workers at United Airlines and I went to look at two Austin Mini-Coopers that Mike was selling. That's when I found out that they build aluminum-bodied AC Bristol/Cobras from scratch blink.gif

While there, I plan to ask if he would be up for a group tour of his facility (if there's enough interest) idea.gif

Let me know if this something that might interest any of you and I'll see what we can come up with confused24.gif

McClusky LTD. Web Site

We used to do pursuit training at the airport in front of McCluskys place in the 80s and 90s. He has always done excellent work and I understand that he helped a lot of craftsmen from foreign defunct aircraft manufacturers get work at his place.
Mueller
That is almost worth driving down there from the Bay Area to check out that place!

hmmmm, we will be at Disneyland on the weekend of the 23rd...wonder if the wife would mine me sneaking away for a few hours smile.gif
colingreene
Yeah man, id be in
veekry9
Incredible.
Circa 85,an engineering student worked at our facility on an exchange visa and was a aircraft experimenter.
Our prez was a close personal friend of his family in Bavaria and sponsored his visit and housed him.
Sharp kid,4th yr EE and computer science,had been building models and rc since a small child.
Wealthy family in the large construction projects biz that demanded excellence from their progeny.
He worked 8 months as a programmer/machinist in our aerospace shop until he left for Oshkosh.
On our idle time,we built a wing for his giant scale rc canard of aluminum sheet and thinwall round tube for a spar.
We developed methods and fixtures for cnc machining of the ribs and spars.It was a pleasure to work with him.
He went on to a great career in his field,and built his own experimental type,composite canard Rotax powered.
Our prez flew a Harvard T6,so we had many global clients that desired our machining and processing capabilities.
He too was a regular at the EAA's big show.It is nice to hear of a successful Cobra shop that happens to also be an aero shop.
The stretchforming is an exclusive service and powerful tool. An all aluminum AM DB4 Zagato replica.They could do it.
Glasair III,very nice.

Click to view attachment
oldschool
piratenanner.gif I'm in. Have camera will travel laugh.gif
veekry9
A nice vid of crusty journeymen rolling panels in halfhard ally and fitting to wood bucks in the time honoured skill of panelbeating.
Who here would commission a 914 in lightweight sheetmetal,fenders,doors and lids?
A revealing look into the fabrication of monocoque tubs and bulkheads.
euro911
QUOTE(oldschool @ Jan 10 2015, 01:39 PM) *
piratenanner.gif I'm in. Have camera will travel laugh.gif
I'll ask Mike if it'll be OK to shoot some footage. I've been dying to get some more practice with my NX5U too smile.gif
Maltese Falcon
Mark
We would be IN for a Sat/Sun gathering , we can supply coffee+snacks if the host will have us. Maybe a dozen of us 914 world members. If the host can accept more of us, I will invite some more gearheads.
Sounds like an awesome tour aktion035.gif
Marty
euro911
I'm going in for a minor surgical procedure tomorrow morning, so I'll wait until next week to contact him again.

The preliminary answer was yes, but I'll get more details (day/time, size of tour group they can handle, video, snacks, etc.).
veekry9
Click to view attachment
What I think of when I see a Cobra,surely within the realm of possibilities.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.