Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Trustworthy Engine Machine Shop in Sonoma or Napa County?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Brian Mifsud
Hi All,

My relative who used to do all my Engine Machining is long retired and sold his shop since my last rebuild, but am walking my 2nd son through the rebuild of a '96 Z28 his uncle is giving him (914 not a great 1st car with today's distracted/drunk drivers in heavy vehicles..)
Here he is with his cousin, brother, and generous uncle (his cousin at 16 got a new car....)
Click to view attachment

We'd like to have a local shop (Sonoma County, Marin, or Napa County) do the machining for us, leaving the assembly to nights in the garage after homework.

Who's out there that's busy and good enough that he doesn't need to pad his pricing? We want straightforward rebuild to close to stock as possible (285HP for 1st car is PLENTY....)

Thanks

Brian
Brian Mifsud
While we were visiting for the weekend doing the teardown, we checked out his 16 year old cousin's first car.....

Click to view attachment

It's great to be his cousin.... wow......
ConeDodger
Call McMark. He can hook you up with the shops he uses.
TheCabinetmaker
Seriously? You live in the land of drag strips and hot rods. Don't you have an automotive machine shop on every other corner? We won't even talk about giving a 16 year old a Sting Ray. wacko.gif
Brian Mifsud
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Jan 7 2015, 09:23 AM) *

Seriously? You live in the land of drag strips and hot rods. Don't you have an automotive machine shop on every other corner? We won't even talk about giving a 16 year old a Sting Ray. wacko.gif

I can only find a few via web, and am warned away from one or two by a retired circle track guy I know. He's been out of the game long enough also that he does not know who is good.

My dad "allowed" me to purchase his junked Beetle, pay for engine parts and driving school, and insurance and gas.. have no way of comprehending what I'd do with a $70k car and 450HP at age 16.. (except shit my pants in fear of scratching it...)
Brian Mifsud
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jan 7 2015, 09:01 AM) *

Call McMark. He can hook you up with the shops he uses.

Best idea...
pdlightning
QUOTE(Brian Mifsud @ Jan 7 2015, 08:34 AM) *

Hi All,

My relative who used to do all my Engine Machining is long retired and sold his shop since my last rebuild, but am walking my 2nd son through the rebuild of a '96 Z28 his uncle is giving him (914 not a great 1st car with today's distracted/drunk drivers in heavy vehicles..)
Here he is with his cousin, brother, and generous uncle (his cousin at 16 got a new car....)
Click to view attachment

We'd like to have a local shop (Sonoma County, Marin, or Napa County) do the machining for us, leaving the assembly to nights in the garage after homework.

Who's out there that's busy and good enough that he doesn't need to pad his pricing? We want straightforward rebuild to close to stock as possible (285HP for 1st car is PLENTY....)

Thanks

Brian

I don't know if Santa Maria is too far, but the best machine shop I know is EngineTech Machine. They specialize in ALL engine machining and I have had several motors done there. Highly recommended! I will look up the link and repost it.
pdlightning
QUOTE(Brian Mifsud @ Jan 7 2015, 08:34 AM) *

Hi All,

Click to view attachment

Thanks

Brian

Here is there Facebook link.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Enginetech-M...250019268359146
Dave_Darling
Soren Andersen runs a machine shop in that area somewhere. I know that Randy from Roadglue is buddies with him and has used his shop a fair bit. I don't know the name of the shop, though.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.