Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Horribly stupid Noob question about 2L upgrades
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SLKWrx
Ok.. This is going to be a stupid one.. so brace yourself. On a stock 2L, with 94mm cyls and pistons.. Can you just slap on a set of 96mm P&C's and go to town? (I understand the cam upgrade and fuel stuff). What my question really is, do you actually need to widen the hole in the block by 2mm?

My gut says you need to.. but who knows

Demick
QUOTE (SLKWrx @ Feb 4 2005, 12:41 PM)
What my question really is, do you actually need to widen the hole in the block by 2mm?

My gut says you need to.. but who knows

Nope. 96mm p&c's are drop-in replacement. No machining necessary

Demick
SLKWrx
Seriously? Not bad. Ok.. So I'm searching Raby's site, and I'm looking for a cam.. any suggestions for a good match? (will be carbed, not sure which ones as of yet though)
Tom Perso
Anything over 96mm and you DO have to open up the case register for the barrels.

But, to answer the question, the 96's will drop right in for your application.

I hear the WebCam 494 is perfect for 2056. My friend has one and runs 9:1 compression and it SCREAMS. Jake should be able to hook you up with what you need. Oh, and get the ARP rod bolts while you are in there. No reason so scatter your motor over cheap rod bolts.

Later,
Tom
seanery
I have a 494 as well, but with all of Jake's parts available I'd check to see if he has exactly what will suit your driving style.
Joe Ricard
QUOTE (seanery @ Feb 4 2005, 01:18 PM)
I have a 494 as well, but with all of Jake's parts available I'd check to see if he has exactly what will suit your driving style.

I always get a kick out of "driving style" For me it is WOT with my hair on fire. As long as it will run in traffic till I get to the Interstate. 3800 RPM or better. Drive the living piss out of it at the Autocross and then return home out pacing most of the traffic.
seanery
I guess that can be confusing....if you do most of your driving stop light to stop light, then a torquey cam - 494 is good. If you need the last bit of horsepower on a road course then a different cam may be the ticket.
MattR
QUOTE (Tom Perso @ Feb 4 2005, 12:59 PM)
Anything over 96mm and you DO have to open up the case register for the barrels.

You dont have to touch the case, just machine the cylinders. Any good machine shop can do it. But he specified "P&C" so Im assuming he has matching cylinders.

I would reccomend now that jake's shop is up and running just going with one of his sets. He has an engine kit that takes all the guess work out.
SLKWrx
Hey guys, thanks for all the info. "open up the case registers for the barrels".. I'll have to look that up because right now i don't understand.

As for what I'm planning, I have a 2L block that is in fine shape except that the cylinders have a bit of piston slap, and the PO dropped one of them while he was tearing down the motor.. and never told me..

Anyways, my idea was to get a set of Raby's German 96's with KB pistons and a cam to get the 2L started in style. I'd like to make all my purchases through his site, but he doesn't have the webcam designators, and no descriptions of what the cams are, so I'm going to have to email him or something.

And.. if I was going to do a kit.. I'd be looking at the monster 2463 turbo kit.. for now though, I'd like to be able to hear my 2L start up. Also, most of the usage of this car will be auto-x, maybe a track day or two, and some sunday cruising..

Also, ARP will definitely be the studs of choice for my engine.. trying to do this right the first time.. its harder than it sounds though
redshift
QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ Feb 4 2005, 05:22 PM)
I always get a kick out of "driving style" For me it is WOT with my hair on fire. As long as it will run in traffic till I get to the Interstate. 3800 RPM or better. Drive the living piss out of it at the Autocross and then return home out pacing most of the traffic.

I miss the Kenny cone Joe, but I like your driving style!

M
scotty b
wink.gif Actually to be correct, if you wanted to increase your bore by 2mm you would only machine the holes by 1mm. 1mm shaved from opposing sides would give a net gain of +2mm. tongue.gif
MattR
Like I said, if you have a 2.0 liter block, you do NOT need to touch your case for a 2056. I am running the exact same setup. And, if your stock cylinders are good you can hone them out to run 96mm KBs. Thats what Im running. If you have some broken fins though, you can go with jake's cylinders. But usually its cheaper to hone your cylinders. Make sure you get the correct stroke KB cylinders. There is a 71mm and 66mm stroke. Get the 71mm for the 2056 combo.
SpecialK
Never fear to ask a question here!

There's no [horribly] stupid questions, only [horribly] stupid answers!
alfred.gif

(That was a joke of course! wink.gif [if only funny to me]) There are many skilled and knowlegdable people on this forum that could answer any possible question you might have. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.