Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: high/low beam
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jetsetsurfshop
Hey Everyone,
Looking for a switch to operate my high/low beam. Has anyone done this out there. My car is a track car and I removed the blinker and wiper controls a while ago. (I added a dash switch for the wiper and a toggle for the blinkers already)
My car is a 74. I'm doing a night event with Chin Motorsports at Sebring and I'd like to flash my beams at those slow ass Corvettes! lol-2.gif
Thanks
Shane
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Jetsetsurfshop @ Jan 7 2015, 03:53 PM) *

Hey Everyone,
Looking for a switch to operate my high/low beam. Has anyone done this out there. My car is a track car and I removed the blinker and wiper controls a while ago. (I added a dash switch for the wiper and a toggle for the blinkers already)
My car is a 74. I'm doing a night event with Chin Motorsports at Sebring and I'd like to flash my beams at those slow ass Corvettes! lol-2.gif
Thanks
Shane

I don't see why you couldn't put in a toggle switch, as long as it'll take the amp load. If you have the relay installed, a spring loaded single throw momentary switch would work.

The Cap'n
r_towle
Look for a plow light switch.
It's a 6 pole two position toggle with enough room for high and low beam.
You will need another one for main headlight power.

Rich
Jetsetsurfshop
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jan 7 2015, 04:29 PM) *

QUOTE(Jetsetsurfshop @ Jan 7 2015, 03:53 PM) *

Hey Everyone,
Thanks
Shane

I don't see why you couldn't put in a toggle switch, as long as it'll take the amp load. If you have the relay installed, a spring loaded single throw momentary switch would work.

The Cap'n

My dad thought we needed to do a momentary switch too. I haven't changed or added any relays to the car. We tracked the wire in the steering wheel loom to the "yellow-red" wire. Ill try that switch next.
Jetsetsurfshop
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 7 2015, 04:35 PM) *

Look for a plow light switch.
It's a 6 pole two position toggle with enough room for high and low beam.
You will need another one for main headlight power.

Rich

My current headlight switch is working now. (without a high-beam option) Are you suggesting to redo the stock switch?
r_towle
Oh, no...you are set.

So, headlight switch comes on, it goes to a relay which powers the headlights.
You just need to rewire the power to go through your toggle switch, then to both relays one for low one for high...pick a position.

You could also wire it so both high and low come on at the same time....if all you want to do is flash high while keeping low on....

Careful of running both high and low through the stock headlight switch, it will melt it.

Use the stock headlight switch to trigger relays ( get some at radio shack) to keep the amps down through that switch.

Rich
mikesmith
Headlight wire (fat red/white) goes from light switch to changeover relay.

White (high beam) and yellow (low beam) wires go from changeover relay to lights.

Replace the changeover relay with your toggle switch (20A rating is fine) and you are done.

= Mike
ThePaintedMan
Shane, why not flash the fogs instead, like I have it setup? Or are you using those for apex lights?
Jetsetsurfshop
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Jan 8 2015, 01:29 PM) *

Shane, why not flash the fogs instead, like I have it setup? Or are you using those for apex lights?

I was joking about flashing the car slower then me. biggrin.gif
In the Chump race. didn't we leave the high beams on at all times?
ThePaintedMan
Yes, mine is wired to flash the fogs during the day, then when the other lights are on, the high beams are always on but they actually flash "off" to signal to pass. Of course since ours was the slowest car out there it didn't really matter smile.gif
Jetsetsurfshop
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Jan 10 2015, 10:29 AM) *

Yes, mine is wired to flash the fogs during the day, then when the other lights are on, the high beams are always on but they actually flash "off" to signal to pass. Of course since ours was the slowest car out there it didn't really matter smile.gif

Slowest car, maybe....
Best team, for sure!
Jetsetsurfshop
To complete my headlight switch, I did it the simplest way.
Took the yellow/red wire from what used to go to the steering column and ran it to a momentary switch. Then ran a ground wire to the other connection. Works great.
beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.