Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
alltracfreak
Hey everyone I'm a new member and looking into purchasing a 914 roller and I have a Toyota 20 valve 4age engine that I'm building. My question is do they sell a conversion kit for my engine with mounts, trans adapter and flywheel? And my goal is 500 wheel horsepower with a 8k rpm redline so which transmission would best suit my application? Would i need any chassis modifications for this power level?

Thanks for your time
Mueller
QUOTE(alltracfreak @ Jan 8 2015, 02:24 PM) *

Hey everyone I'm a new member and looking into purchasing a 914 roller and I have a Toyota 20 valve 4age engine that I'm building. My question is do they sell a conversion kit for my engine with mounts, trans adapter and flywheel? And my goal is 500 wheel horsepower with a 8k rpm redline so which transmission would best suit my application? Would i need any chassis modifications for this power level?

Thanks for your time

For adapter and flywheel, look here and if you don't see it call...

http://www.kennedyenginc.com/Pages/EngineOptionList4cyl.aspx

No on the mounts...possibly not a project for you if you cannot make your mounts or at least design them to have someone else make them.
Mueller
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=97897

If you have not seen the thread above I recommend it....more or less same thing you are doing, just a different brand motor.
alltracfreak
Thanks for the replies. I have access to a mill, a lathe and a tig welder if i have to i will make the mounts. As for the transmission how strong is the factory 914 transmission?
veekry9
http://www.logicmotorsportconsulting.com/f...age-stroker-kit
Something like this?Great power needs an expensive transaxle and the requisite cvs and axles.
The 914 will handle 200 ft-lbs plus a little more if reinforced.Way too lite for that motor.
Are you planning to install longitudinal or transverse?
The Subaru TX can handle a good twist but I figure this big power is looking for an expensive solution.
Price out the vendor's offerings to discover what won't snap.
http://www.gt40s.com/forum/Some expensive boxes here.
Then there is the Porsche 930 that will handle what the blown nitrous 4-valve can do.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911-930-Tr...n-/281450387977
Core price.Be the first Toyota powered 914.
happy11.gif
alltracfreak
Stock 20v 4age crank Crower rods custom JE pistons MRP ladder caps, ARP mains ARP head studs. Maybe e85. Garret GTX2867r for now.

Hella expensive trannies. Hmmm wonder if I could fit a Toyota tranny in it. Maybe e51 supercharged mr2 tranny with drive shaft shop custom axels.
JoeSharp
Your already outside of the box. e51 huh? Your going to love this build. Show us what you got and you will get you lot of help from here. popcorn[1].gif
veekry9
http://www.albinsgear.com.au/
Sequential 6 spd.
thumb3d.gif
veekry9
http://www.ebay.com/bhp/sti-6-speed-transmission

"returf"in NZ is putting a LS1-T to the ground through this 6TX with good effect.
The prices are hard to beat for what you get.
madmax914
Here is a guy in Portland Oregon who has what you're looking for.

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/pts/4889538143.html
Randal
QUOTE(alltracfreak @ Jan 8 2015, 02:24 PM) *

Thanks for your time

500HP at the rear wheels? Wow. Impressive.

Before attempting to answer your question, what events are you running?
mrfourteen
I just found this old thread. Being in the process of building a 914 4AG swap and having worked with the 4AG engines a lot. A ll I can say to 500hp is oh sure for about 10 minutes. F1 spends millions of $ to get reliable 650hp out of a 1.6 with limited success.
(you can fool the fans but you can't fool the players)
I'm using a 16 valve carbed unit as a test mule to sort out cooling and related install challenges. Using a Kennedy adapter and fly wheel.
Then on to a 20 valve with flat slide carbs and some out board controllers for the ignition and VVT. These are all things I have done before so a relatively easy swap.
You can squeeze about 175 HP out of a NA 4AG (reliable/drivable) Formula Atlantic cars are now in the 240hp range(NA). So for a 914 175 is plenty considering it will weigh in a bit less than stock and rev to 8500.

Click to view attachment

Soooo tamp down the unrealistic HP figures and go Natural aspirated, use the 914 box and you'll have a car that actually exists. Or better yet just get an MR2 and skip the whole thing.
Oh there I go being harsh on the newb, but the whole thing smells trollish.

Jetsetsurfshop
QUOTE(Joe Sharp @ Jan 9 2015, 02:07 AM) *

Your already outside of the box. e51 huh? Your going to love this build. Show us what you got and you will get you lot of help from here. popcorn[1].gif

I'm with Joe on this one. Start a build thread so we can watch... Oh, and help! popcorn[1].gif
Andyrew
QUOTE(mrfourteen @ Jul 21 2015, 11:08 AM) *

I just found this old thread. Being in the process of building a 914 4AG swap and having worked with the 4AG engines a lot. A ll I can say to 500hp is oh sure for about 10 minutes. F1 spends millions of $ to get reliable 650hp out of a 1.6 with limited success.
(you can fool the fans but you can't fool the players)
I'm using a 16 valve carbed unit as a test mule to sort out cooling and related install challenges. Using a Kennedy adapter and fly wheel.
Then on to a 20 valve with flat slide carbs and some out board controllers for the ignition and VVT. These are all things I have done before so a relatively easy swap.
You can squeeze about 175 HP out of a NA 4AG (reliable/drivable) Formula Atlantic cars are now in the 240hp range(NA). So for a 914 175 is plenty considering it will weigh in a bit less than stock and rev to 8500.

Click to view attachment

Soooo tamp down the unrealistic HP figures and go Natural aspirated, use the 914 box and you'll have a car that actually exists. Or better yet just get an MR2 and skip the whole thing.
Oh there I go being harsh on the newb, but the whole thing smells trollish.

Very cool! Make a build thread and post all your progress in it!
alltracfreak
Sorry havent been On in a while. I have since decided to go with a different chassis but i still want to say thanks to those who sent me the info i was looking for. And to mrfourteen the only thing that sounds trollish was your response. I may be a newbe to the 914 world but i am def not a newbie to building engines. F1 spent millions to make 650hp and that was in the 80s which they have far surpassed the 650hp mark their have been numerous 1.6 engines that have made upwards of 1500hp do some research. And to say that 500whp out of a 4age is unrealistic well sounds like you dont know as much about the 4age motor that you say you do. Their are several people in the AE86 and carolla community who are running 400 to 500 whp out of their 1.6 4age engines and bash them for a very long period of time. Some are in the drifting community. One very well known individual is joel86 who had an engine failure due to the factory retainer cracking and dropped a valve. Their are also a few guys who are running the 7afe Block with 4age 20v head and 16v head who are making 500+hp with factory internals as well. And mannon racing products has a 1.9 stroker setup using 20v head and they have seen 1000 hp. So considering the only thing that is going to be factory is my block, crank and bare head im pretty sure i can make 475 to 525 reliably. Once again thank you everyone who helped me out
porschetub
QUOTE(alltracfreak @ Sep 24 2015, 10:53 AM) *

Sorry havent been On in a while. I have since decided to go with a different chassis but i still want to say thanks to those who sent me the info i was looking for. And to mrfourteen the only thing that sounds trollish was your response. I may be a newbe to the 914 world but i am def not a newbie to building engines. F1 spent millions to make 650hp and that was in the 80s which they have far surpassed the 650hp mark their have been numerous 1.6 engines that have made upwards of 1500hp do some research. And to say that 500whp out of a 4age is unrealistic well sounds like you dont know as much about the 4age motor that you say you do. Their are several people in the AE86 and carolla community who are running 400 to 500 whp out of their 1.6 4age engines and bash them for a very long period of time. Some are in the drifting community. One very well known individual is joel86 who had an engine failure due to the factory retainer cracking and dropped a valve. Their are also a few guys who are running the 7afe Block with 4age 20v head and 16v head who are making 500+hp with factory internals as well. And mannon racing products has a 1.9 stroker setup using 20v head and they have seen 1000 hp. So considering the only thing that is going to be factory is my block, crank and bare head im pretty sure i can make 475 to 525 reliably. Once again thank you everyone who helped me out

Calm down man,you throw a curved ball and expect everyone to agree then you throw a hissy fit when replies don't suit you , 1.9 1000hp fine ,now tell us what that cost ??????
Oh sorry forgot about the 1.6 you mentioned @ 1500hp....wake up your reply above tells all. barf.gif
mrfourteen
I guess I should have included "streetable" but the latest F1 1.6 V6 makes 650 ish HP and still live short expensive lives, a 4AG formula Atlantic runs seriously big money and also lives a short expensive life. I didn't realize you had unlimited funds so I would guess that's why you moved on from a 914 to something more.....well let's say.......drift monkey.
Oh snap there I go again being all snarky.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.