Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: engine is back in with radiator, as well as
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scotty914
okay as some of you know ( and some of you who dont care ) i built the radiator support frame, and welded it to the fire wall. then i sealed the frame off to the fire wall with sheet AL. now the radiator sits in the frame and get bolted to the top ( with grommets ). the first pic is the frame welded to fire wall with the shouding in place, i still need to make the scoop for the bottom though.

pic deleted by me
scotty914
another shot of the shrouding on the drivers side from the outside

pic deleted by me
scotty914
okay here is a pic of the radiator mounted to the frame

pic deleted by me
scotty914
okay second to last, the engine bolted back in to the car with the radiator in place

pic deleted by me
scotty914
last pic ... front of motor showing the pully clearence to the radiator
Mueller
sweet....hope it works, you might be proving a bunch of people wrong.....of course I guess for the V8 guys, it does not matter due to the lack of space smile.gif
McMark
Pulls air from under the car?
bondo
Looks nice! I wish I had room to do that smile.gif

Oh man, that avatar... wacko.gif
bondo
It woulda been cool to make a frame that holds the engine/radiator/battery/etc. as a unit.. then you could drop the engine without disconencting any hoses. After you got it out you could set the engine on a skateboard, bolt a couple wheels to the trans output flanges and ride it around smile.gif
scotty914
QUOTE (McMark @ Feb 4 2005, 03:17 PM)
Pulls air from under the car?

yup, using a spring loaded kydex scoop. spring loaded so if i hit a speed bump it will rotate out of the way, and kydex which is a plastic that is stiff enough to hold its shape but can bend very easily. kydex is used to make gun holsters as well as many other items.

the scoop will be about 2 inches below the floor pan and 28 inches wide, or about the same size as the air deflectors. speaking of the air deflectors does any body need a set. the opening of the area feeding in to the radiator is 5 inches by 28 inches, the scoop just helps the air go the right direction at speed
scotty914
QUOTE (bondo @ Feb 4 2005, 03:22 PM)
After you got it out you could set the engine on a skateboard, bolt a couple wheels to the trans output flanges and ride it around smile.gif

oh ya a 180 hp skate board
McMark
Sounds like it's gonna work perfect for that 4. You could probably do the same with those W6 engines. They're supposed to be pretty short.
scruz914
Will you be running a fan, either turned by the engine or electric? My experience with a V6 in my VW Bus was that you could be stopped or going slow only so long before the temp goes up. I had no problems after I mounted an electric fan on the radiator.
scotty914
QUOTE (scruz914 @ Feb 4 2005, 04:02 PM)
Will you be running a fan, either turned by the engine or electric?

1200 cfm fan controlled by the suby wiring and an overide switch

one thing i have not said anything about is the suby needs the heater core lines hooked up, if they are not hooked up the thermostat does not open, so i plan on putting in a motor cycle radiator with a fan ( the reason for using a radiator from a motor cycle is the cap will help in bleeding ) . in the summer i will just let the fan blow through the heater core ( motor cycle rad ) in the winter i will duct it through the stock heater tubes for heat. so i will be gaining an addition 100 square inches or so of constant air flow for cooling.
SpecialK
Pretty slick Scott smilie_pokal.gif , it'll be interesting to see what kind of temps you'll be running. How's the clearance for the air cleaner/intake boot? Looks kind of close, but that just may the the angle of the pic.

Kevin
MecGen
COOL
Keep us informed. Maybe take a pic from under the car to show that clearance to road.
WBR
Joe
mattillac
scott, you're my hero! pray.gif i'm gonna start saving my pennies up for a suby motor!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.