Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: $30k 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
raynekat
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-914-1973-p...=US_Cars_Trucks

Low miles and incredibly clean.
Could use a detailing of the drivetrain and suspension, but otherwise looks good.

Is this where the prices of good 914's are headed?

Scares me as I'm still trying to hunt down a worthy 914-6. blink.gif
JawjaPorsche
Very nice looking 914! Right year, right motor!
JeffBowlsby
Precedent exists for top quality 914/4s to just over 40K so a 30K 914/4 is not out of the question.

Double that for a comparable condition 914/6
pete000
Front and rear sway Bars ! Only thing I would change is to have the wheels refinished back to OE by Al Reed....
TJB/914
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jan 9 2015, 11:03 PM) *

Precedent exists for top quality 914/4s to just over 40K so a 30K 914/4 is not out of the question.

Double that for a comparable condition 914/6

I agree with Jeff agree.gif
If this 914 is accurately described it's priced to sell. You can't restore one for this amount of money. My humble opinion. popcorn[1].gif
Tom
MikeInMunich
QUOTE(pete000 @ Jan 9 2015, 08:24 PM) *

Front and rear sway Bars ! Only thing I would change is to have the wheels refinished back to OE by Al Reed....

Personally, I'd prefer to invest the same money or less in better shocks and springs. Looks like those must by KYBs in the back.

There are about 25 914s for sale online over here in Germany and more than half of them have asking prices over $30,000, indeed, almost all of those prices are over 30k EUROS. I don't know if they're SELLING, but these are the prices they're being advertised for. The Germans want their 914s as original as possible, generally.

BTW, I've been living here for 21 years and I have only seen a 914 I think 3x, at least that I can remember. Perhaps it was 5 times, other than the one I re-imported in 1997, which got totaled by someone while parked. One of the luckiest breaks I'd ever had, financially. I didn't think I'd ever be able to get my money back on it, and it had issues. Got it all back from the insurance co. Have not had another one since my current project, which still isn't here yet. It will however finally be shipped this month. piratenanner.gif

M.i.M.
turk22
I would like to see some original owner documentation for that money, but the car looks very good.

If the miles can be verified, and the paint is original, it could very well command that price, especially if you factor in the global market
siverson
I agree - super nice looking car. But since it's fun to pick on cars:

- Must be a really late 73 build. Looks like it from the VIN. Because the window winder handles and interior door cup things would normally be chrome for a 73 2.0.

- Neat that it has 914 in the vin. smile.gif

- Too bad it has cloth instead of basketweave seats.

- Needs: OE muffler, and new rear shocks (KYBs?!?!).

- I haven't seen many cars with no black undercoating on the bottom or wheel wells. Like nicer, and seems rare to me. What is sort of strange is it looks like then there is black undercoating on the bottom firewall near the engine. Weird.

- Should switch back to rubber brake lines intead of stainless steel (IMO).

-Steve
MoveQik
Soooooo close.....a nice car *almost* made it for sale without being picked apart! But I'll cut Steve some slack as his cars are insane and he obviously had a sense of humor about it. :-) beerchug.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(raynekat @ Jan 9 2015, 07:17 PM) *

ASKING price is *not* selling price ...

At 0 bids i think it's pretty clear that we haven't reached the $30k mark for a nice /4 yet.
shades.gif
JeffBowlsby
Here's one at $42K. A 75 1.8L no less. I have others.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jan 10 2015, 08:54 AM) *

But those examples aren't "nice" 914s, they are exceptional, all original, low mileage 914s.

There is a difference ...
popcorn[1].gif
TJB/914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 10 2015, 11:39 AM) *

At 0 bids i think it's pretty clear that we haven't reached the $30k mark for a nice /4 yet.
shades.gif

Agreed, asking price & sell price is the real value.
But, only about 1/2 of 1% of guys on this site are ready to purchase these high end 4's over $30K. unsure.gif It will happen in time, but for now it's only deep pocket collectors looking at long term rising 914 values. idea.gif stirthepot.gif
Tom
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 10 2015, 08:39 AM) *

I guess I misunderstood your post...I thought you didn't think 914/4s had reached 30K yet. Agreed this one is an exception, but 'nice' examples are not far behind this.
dlkawashima
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jan 10 2015, 08:54 AM) *

Unfortunately, that car did not sell for $42K, at least not in 2013. The owner was still trying to sell the car for "mid-thirties" last September:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=242321
SirAndy
QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Jan 10 2015, 10:08 AM) *
Unfortunately, that car did not sell for $42K

That was my point earlier.
People look at ebay auctions and get all worked up over asking prices.

You really need to look at the prices a car was actually sold for.
shades.gif
bandjoey
Looks like a paint run on the door jam vin sticker
TJB/914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 10 2015, 01:15 PM) *

QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Jan 10 2015, 10:08 AM) *
Unfortunately, that car did not sell for $42K

That was my point earlier.
People look at ebay auctions and get all worked up over asking prices.

You really need to look at the prices a car was actually sold for.
shades.gif

Hey Andy.
Changing the subject on this 4 cyl.
Andy: If you were selling your 914-6 today how much would you ask for your 914-6???? My guess somewhere about $60K to $80K???
I know your spare 6er was priced at $5k a long time ago, I'd bet the price has gone up double, maybe triple??
The point is stirthepot.gif it's easy to say some other guys price is too high, but when you sell your 914er the price changes. popcorn[1].gif laugh.gif drooley.gif
How much is Andy's car selling for in today's market??? w00t.gif
Tom
dlkawashima
IPB Image
TJB/914
I should know better than to pick on Sir Andy, I am doomed chair.gif

This is a great subject on current 914 pricing. (half a $Mil) rolleyes.gif

Ok, so lets say Rob's beautiful 914-6 GT silver should be prices at $80K to $100K popcorn[1].gif What would it sell for?? lol-2.gif

JawjaPorsche
biggrin.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(TJB/914 @ Jan 10 2015, 10:38 AM) *
I know your spare 6er was priced at $5k a long time ago, I'd bet the price has gone up double, maybe triple??

But that is exactly my point.
I was *asking* $5k for a real factory /6 shell with a clear title and i couldn't sell it for that price, no takers.

You can't use that number as a reference at all because nobody ever paid me $5k.
It didn't sell. Nothing, nada, zilch.

It doesn't matter what i *asked* for it ...
rolleyes.gif
rhodyguy
But now I think your tub might fetch north of $5k. Speculators....things have really changed over the past 2-3 years. Cars that I parted out in the past would now have real value and were in much better condition than ones under going major rustoration these days.
SirAndy
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jan 10 2015, 11:49 AM) *
Speculators....

One told me straight up that he was only interested in the title and VIN tags and was going to do a VIN swap on his early /4 so he could sell it for a lot more money.
dry.gif

Needles to say i didn't sell it to him.
rolleyes.gif

PS: And no, that wasn't George.
Beeliner
I gave a call to the seller when he had this listed as a 914-6. It is good to hear many think it is still in the thirty range...

Oh, it was a fun conversation.... "Count the wires on the distributor to see if I'm right."
mepstein
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 10 2015, 02:30 PM) *

QUOTE(TJB/914 @ Jan 10 2015, 10:38 AM) *

But that is exactly my point.
I was *asking* $5k for a real factory /6 shell with a clear title and i couldn't sell it for that price, no takers.

You can't use that number as a reference at all because nobody ever paid me $5k.
It didn't sell. Nothing, nada, zilch.

It doesn't matter what i *asked* for it ...
rolleyes.gif

Everything has changed in the last 2 years. I bet I could sell your tub for 10K in about a week.
SirAndy
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 10 2015, 01:01 PM) *
Everything has changed in the last 2 years. I bet I could sell your tub for 10K in about a week.

Why is everyone trying so hard to miss the point here?
confused24.gif poke.gif
altitude411
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 10 2015, 03:02 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 10 2015, 01:01 PM) *

Why is everyone trying so hard to miss the point here?
confused24.gif poke.gif

Cal
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 10 2015, 11:39 AM) *

shades.gif

Well, I guess we'll see what happens........should be interesting. Apparently they ended the original add that showed a BIN price and now they're taking bids starting at $30K.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Cal @ Jan 10 2015, 02:36 PM) *
Well, I guess the market has spoken.....it appears to be sold. Less then 24 hours is pretty quick.

IMO, the fact that Indigo Auto Group is a reputable / well known car dealer for high end exotics helped with this sell. The owner Todd Blue.....had a Ferrari Daytona restored by Wayne Carini on the TV show Chasing Classic Cars a couple of years ago. I would bet that a collector friend of Todd's bought it on a whim.....

confused24.gif

Cal
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 10 2015, 05:39 PM) *

QUOTE(Cal @ Jan 10 2015, 02:36 PM) *
Well, I guess the market has spoken.....it appears to be sold. Less then 24 hours is pretty quick.

IMO, the fact that Indigo Auto Group is a reputable / well known car dealer for high end exotics helped with this sell. The owner Todd Blue.....had a Ferrari Daytona restored by Wayne Carini on the TV show Chasing Classic Cars a couple of years ago. I would bet that a collector friend of Todd's bought it on a whim.....

confused24.gif

Yes, I just noticed that they're running the add again......they've changed the add three times so far. The first add was listing the car as a 6 cly., the second add had it with a BIN price, the current add is listed with bids starting at $30K......
Cal
Question.....was PVC undercoating an option (M640) when originally ordering the car? If so, does this explain the textured paint on the underside of the pan?
Mike Fitton
And I thought I got all the money when I sold my '74 2.0 nine months ago for $20K.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
914Next
I can confirm that sales above $30k have occurred. In September I bought a very clean all original one owner car that is is superb condition. All it needs is detailing on the underside. Car has 45k miles on it but I was more than happy to pay north of $30k for this car. I could't believe how clean this car was. I'm technically the third owner because the 2nd owner just flipped it but I've had numerous conversations with the first owner. Documented mileage, owners statement, manuals, original title copy. I'll post some pics tomorrow. Some may argue I overpaid. I would argue I snapped up one of the few survivors around and with few and fewer of them I'm very comfortable with the price.
JawjaPorsche
There is 914-6 on Ebay that has current bid of $70K with eight days to go and not meeting reserve.

Says concourse car but I don't think even the 914-6 came with a badge. Correct me if I am wrong. The badge by the way is too high on the hood.

Beautiful 914!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-914-Targa-...=US_Cars_Trucks
Cairo94507
You are correct- no 914 came from the factory with a badge. Additionally, this badge is mounted to high- if you are going to add a badge. Still, just a beautiful car though.
914forme
Hopefully that 80K asking price for that -6 will buy them some outlet covers and switch covers.
Hine62
If I could get 15k for mine I might break even.

Most likely, and by looking through the pics, the owner spent around 30k to make a car that nice. I bet most of the price is the man hours it took... For 30k I could get a 911.

Also, an amateur resto and professional resto would pull different prices. But if the overall prices go up, that is fine with me. I already have one.

hine62
Beeliner
Back to the eBay listing...... WTF.gif

The car is now listed TWICE lol-2.gif av-943.gif

By two different dealerships..... confused24.gif

This started as a listing as a six..... I suggested they count the wires on the distributor and they've been botching it up ever since. lol3.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.