Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Need help with my new - to me - lathe
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
draganc
I got a great deal from my neighbor for his old lathe.

Do I need it? Absolutely no! Did I want one for the last 20 years? Hell yes!

Here is my problem: I have NO clue how to operate/use it.

Amy recommendation about "how-to-do" books or DVD?

Thanks,
dc
JimN73
Like everything else, the lathe is just the down payment. If your lathe didn't come with chisels and at least one chuck, you will have to get some - try Craigslist.

There are lots of tutorial videos on Youtube. If there is a Woodcraft or Rockler store in your neighborhood - visit them. They both have books and dvds. Probably even beginning classes which will provide a lathe, necessary tools and proper techniques.

It's a good and creative hobby, good luck.
budk
QUOTE(draganc @ Jan 10 2015, 10:20 PM) *

I got a great deal from my neighbor for his old lathe.

Do I need it? Absolutely no! Did I want one for the last 20 years? Hell yes!

Here is my problem: I have NO clue how to operate/use it.

Amy recommendation about "how-to-do" books or DVD?

Thanks,
dc

Wood or Metal lathe ?
Jacob
There is a series on You Tube, posted by "Open Source Machine Tools". They have "Essential Machining Skills: Working with a Lathe, Part One".

Link Here:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Za0t2Rfjewg
draganc
Thanks for the info so far!
BTW, it's a metal lathe and has "all" the add-on tools.
Mueller
Congrats!

I've rented videos in the past to learn new stuff:

https://smartflix.com/store/category/12/Lathe

Now post some pictures!

I don't use my lathe very often, however when I need it it is a wonderful to have!
scotty b
I'm in the same boat. Traded a motorcycle paint job for an old Southbend. There is a DVD available on e-bay that I have been told by several is one of the best ways to learn.

This one appeals to me particularly since it is the very model I have smile.gif

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fundamentals-Machi...LDER:SIMPLEITEM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lathe-Work-for-Beg...=item563c2d86e4
budk
I assumed it was a metal lathe but the post that suggested Rockler caused me to ask the question.

A metal lathe (Southbend, I hope) is on my wish list. I've been around a few machine shops and while DVD's or similar would be beneficial, I think finding someone local that can give you the basics is the best way to go. Put an ad on Craigslist and see what replies you get. Just don't put the ad in the M4M section!
ripper911
:inappropriatesmiley:

Here it comes

NSFW

IPB Image
Tom
draganc,
Sorry, I had to laugh about your comment about the lathe having all of the add on tools. When you have a lathe and learn to use it, you will buy some more add on tools! Then when you have them "ALL", you will sell your lathe to an unsuspecting neighbor and upgrade to the next bigger/better lathe. Sound familiar? biggrin.gif
You will have lot of fun with your lathe and don't take my remarks too seriously. I got a small Taig lathe about 10 years ago and began looking for projects to do. Originally got it to be able to repair cue sticks for pool. Worked out very well, but found I could make no money doing that. I was able to custom make my own shift bushings for my 914. While it is nice to have around, I seldom use it any more.
Tom
draganc
I did some research on Jacob's link and found the source of the video:

http://techtv.mit.edu/collections/ehs-videos/videos

Very informative and much cheaper than the DVD.

Here is a pic of my setup, just finished leveling it.

PS: Tom, you can't have enough tools!

Click to view attachment
draganc
PPS: I'm thinking of making some Delrin bushings for the a-arms as my first project.
veekry9
Great idea.Be certain to preload the part and check your runout.

A word of caution.
This machine will rip your arm off if you let it.
Train yourself in machine shop safety rules before you even think of running it.
The machine MUST be secured and bolted to a heavy base of steel with a coolant pan.
Go to a local college to take a basic course on safety and methods.
Learn speeds and feeds,tooling geometry,materials and metallurgy.

Case in point:
'71, a college student hired on for a summer had a little skill but made a mistake his first week that nearly killed him.
Simply failed to ensure the barfeeder was closed correctly before he engaged the spindle.
The 16' long 1" dia bar jumped out of the feeder and wrapped itself around itself at high rpm being low hydrogen copper.
He froze,so I quickly stopped the spindle as the entire Herbert turret lathe was jumping off the floor from the imbalance.
Proceed with extreme caution as your life and limb depends on it.
icon13.gif

Click to view attachment

Jumping 6",3 times a second,made a big noise.Run away!
partwerks
Not a good idea to leave the "T" handle in the chuck, and turn it on.
aircooledtechguy
Congrats on the new lathe!! You'll have fun with it.

A few years ago, I purchased a 1942 Logan Model 815 lathe off Craigs List that was in really nice shape. I haven't had a chance to really learn how to use it properly, but I have been able to make various bushings and trim some things down. Saved my butt a few times. I'm gonna have to check out some of the videos listed here for sure.

jd74914
QUOTE(partwerks @ Jan 11 2015, 11:31 PM) *

agree.gif Always get in the habit of taking the key out no matter if the machine is off, etc. I have seen many people throw keys and it is terrifying. There are new "OSHA" keys that are spring loaded so you can't forget them in.

Other than that, videos are good to learn but there is no replacement for practice. If you can learn how to grind HSS tooling you can save a bit of money when you're learning. The trick is just to make everything run smoothly. smile.gif
Mueller
QUOTE(partwerks @ Jan 11 2015, 08:31 PM) *

Did that once at home when my lathe was in the garage...handle flew straight up and landed a foot away from the hood of my old 914!

Could have worse, I was standing right in front of the chuck with no guard on the machine.

No wearing gloves, even rubber gloves can be dangerous..no loose clothes or long hair...

Yale student, lathe accident

barefoot
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jan 12 2015, 12:13 PM) *

QUOTE(partwerks @ Jan 11 2015, 08:31 PM) *

Did that once at home when my lathe was in the garage...handle flew straight up and landed a foot away from the hood of my old 914!

Could have worse, I was standing right in front of the chuck with no guard on the machine.

No wearing gloves, even rubber gloves can be dangerous..no loose clothes or long hair...

Yale student, lathe accident

Also, never wear a necktie running your lathe.
I made some new rear trunk delrin rollers that guide the torsion bars. piece of cake.
also had to machine out the oil seal from the speedo drive right angle drive off the tranny as that was the only way to get that bugger out.
veekry9

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9grSq-TWMQ

toolguy
Save yourself a lot of trouble and take an Adult Ed course in the basics, or
find an old retired machinist for a new friend. .
Never wear gloves or loose clothing, look twice before turning on the motor, and always have safety glasses on.
It's usually inattentiveness that causes issues and just when you 'think' you understand,
something goes wrong. . . breaking a part is the least of your worries. . it's eyes and fingers
that suffer the most. That machine is made to shred metal without hesitation. . . skin doesn't stand a chance. And it happens before you can react. . . Please don't think you can yank your hand out faster than the lathe can grab it. . it happens incredibly fast. .
By the way, Machinery is a lot like a 914. . . the cost of the lathe is incidental considering the cost of the tooling you'll need. .
veekry9
sheeplove.gif

Old Guy Machinists may have an unsual take on "friends".
Tread carefully. biggrin.gif
andys
QUOTE(toolguy @ Jan 12 2015, 10:02 AM) *

Save yourself a lot of trouble and take an Adult Ed course in the basics, or
find an old retired machinist for a new friend. .
Never wear gloves or loose clothing, look twice before turning on the motor, and always have safety glasses on.
It's usually inattentiveness that causes issues and just when you 'think' you understand,
something goes wrong. . . breaking a part is the least of your worries. . it's eyes and fingers
that suffer the most. That machine is made to shred metal without hesitation. . . skin doesn't stand a chance. And it happens before you can react. . . Please don't think you can yank your hand out faster than the lathe can grab it. . it happens incredibly fast. .
By the way, Machinery is a lot like a 914. . . the cost of the lathe is incidental considering the cost of the tooling you'll need. .

This is good advice. Find an experienced machinist to teach you (videos are very marginal). You need to learn basic machining fundamentals, as they will apply to all machinery. Most tend to under estimate what it takes to properly run machine shop machinery.

30 years of tooling and prototype machine shop management in medical device manufacturing here.

Andys
veekry9
CNC.Prosthetics and teflon joints in titanium?

16x10x4m Boring Mill,HH TNC.65 tonne weldment.Energy transmission.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.