Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: interesting thought ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dax1969
A friend of me is on the market for a nice 914. As he has no time and knowledge to do any restoration he wants a car “which needs nothing” …

He doesn’t care about originality, matching numbers etc, he just loves the look of the model and wants to drive it, clean it, drive it, clean it… I know that some of you will think “what is the fun about that, you need to work on a 914….” But that is just his idea of owning and enjoying a 914. He wants to use a 914 like he uses his Boxster.

He is also a huge fan of all these television programs like gas monkey, dealing steel etc where they start with a lemon, take out the rust and repaint it, put in a new “crate engine”, new transmission, new brakes and suspension in 7 days and then sell it on… I personally think that this programs are fake but ok. I just don’t believe the prices you see in these shows. Crate engine + gearbox ? 4000 usd, new interior ? just go to Sue ; ) and a 1000 usd later you have a completely new interior, paint ? a 1000 usd later you have fresh paint, yeah right…

His interesting thought is : instead of buying a car where you don't know the history of why not find somebody who can build one... ? Not a professional who needs to make huge profit but somebody who just loves restoring these cars. Somebody who just wants the fun and joy of the build ?

Do you think that somebody can be found to build a 914 which “needs nothing” ?
No rust, fresh 2.0 engine, gearbox, new paint, all electrics working, new suspension, brakes, preferable 1973 or later (sideshift) with appearance group options (centerconsole, fuchs) and backdated chrome bumpers ? Any idea what it would cost in parts alone ? (just good standard parts, no high performance parts).

He also saw on youtube the Subaru conversions which he likes a lot but as I see many of these projects stranded I think you have to spent a huge amount of money to get an excellent one (if there are even excellent ones…) build by professionals.

Thanks your feedback.

Krgds
Dax
mepstein
Unicorns and rainbows.
EdwardBlume
914s can lead you down the rabbit hole fast unless you really buy it right. Bruce Anderson's age old advice still applies..... Buy as much of a car as you can and benefit from the condition and parts. Otherwise, you'll be chasing it and eventually losing.

falcor75
Sad truth is that even if you buy a $30k 914 then it could still need something the very next day... You have to be interested or have the wallet to pay for someone else fixing it when it goes wrong.
era vulgaris
Eugene Rice in Utah will build your friend a 914. The price I've seen advertised is $26K, but that was a while ago so it might be different now. He's advertised on the Samba, here on 914world, and he has a Facebook page.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=247785

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Genes-Auto-H...338087299699936

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1683027
Mikey914
Check the classifieds, occasionally this stuff pops up, I know I've seen a few cars I wish I had bought.

Other than that Eugene does good work, Original Customs can most definitely do the work. what you want it professional work, anyone that is working on these cars that knows them is doing it for profit. Not that there is much there if you take the time to do it right.
dax1969
Thks your feedback.

We saw some pretty awesome builds fm "amateurs" here so I know that there are people around who know their 914s.

The ad of Eugene rice I saw before but claiming you know the cars in and out and than put the seats wrong .. ? By the way, why on facebook and no separate website ? Is he hobbyist or does he build them for a living ?

You don't have to convince me ; ) I know what I paid for mine and her condition. Usa import and "restored"... yeah right. Mexican paintjob and leaking engine with most probably wrong cam (altough "rebuild" 1500 miles ago hahaha).

cheers
Dax
Mueller
I'd vote for Mark at Original Customs for something like this.
monkeyboy
I love working on my car, but I would tire quickly of working on someone else's car for free. That just sucks the joy out of it.

Also, your friend should probably stick to his Boxster. Even if you were to find him a brand new 914, it would need something in just a short time. These cars required pretty frequent service, even when new. The expectations were different back then. You can't just do oil changes on these and drive them.

My personal opinion is that if you don't want to do maintenance, or spend the money to have someone do it, then a classic car is not for you.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jan 12 2015, 08:07 AM) *

agree.gif

Mark can do it and more importantly, he'd be doing it right!
http://www.originalcustoms.com/

beerchug.gif
blackmoon
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jan 12 2015, 08:07 AM) *

agree.gif
veekry9
dax1969,
Any relation to this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5asFceKxOk
An original or bone stock 914 has some "interesting"characteristics as you know.A test drive to the Italian coast would demonstrate the car to your buyer.Making an update to modernize the drivetrain and chassis is the thing here.
Transitioning from Boxster to 914 is a time trip back to '69,with "gasp" rollup and vent windows.
A 914 that outperforms a Boxster is a different matter and thrilling every gearchange,may be a better selection.
Pop the clutch,burn the rubber a little every gear and hit the autobahn on ramp at 250,necksnapping.Stay with a 911.
dax1969
Thks and translated yr feedback to my friend and it looks like he has to admit I am right : )
In some points I am misunderstood however. He is not changing fm a boxster to a 914, he just wants a 914 for the weekends. His boxster is his daily driver and also a bmw 3 series is on his driveway. He loves the boxster but he wants something euh... not so modern : ) while everybody wants a 911 he wants the underdog (meant positively). He has got the money to let somebody do the maintenance but he still has the idea to buy somebodies finished project. seller can even make some money but first of all the car should be done right with a lot of love and not just for the profit only.

Discussion with my buddy will go on a bit I think but that's where friends are for ...

bye
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.