Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WTB Scams - Beware
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
John_914
Recently I posted a WTB classified in search of that very hard to find rear valance for 914-6. In doing so I received no less that five replies from scammers, generally using the internet to provide file photos. I'm not sure, but my guess this is being done my individuals who do not even reside in America. The only person to call had a very strange accent.

They can be obvious to spot in that the talk is very general, nothing like a person who has a part would use. Prices always include shipping.

Good news is I found one from a legit source. Bad news is that I'll have to mortgage my house to buy it!

Beware - -this site has been targeted by scammers!
fixer34
Yep, they're out there. Had someone in Scotland try that on me for a set of new /6 heat exchangers a couple years back (I'm in the USA). As it turned out, my brother was in the UK so I told the seller he would come up to pay/pick them up in person. Never heard from him again.

A neat trick to see if they really have the part. Tell the seller to write your first name on the part with something easily washable such as chalk. Take a picture of it and post it. Pretty hard to fake even with photoshop. Bet the part suddenly becomes 'already sold' as soon as you ask this.
mepstein
Don't send more money to an unknown seller than you can afford to loose. There's been a couple buyers on pelican and 911registry that have sent 10's of thousands to sellers in other countries and not received a car in return or the car was not what they expected. I can't afford to take that kind of chance. So here's my rules of engagement;

Send up to $200 -anybody
Send up to $1000 - 2000 -someone I know and trust
Over $1-2k - face to face.

Everyone has their own comfort level, decide on yours before you send money.
Mark Henry
When doing a WTB stick with members that you know or ones that have at least 50-ish posts.
PanelBilly
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 12 2015, 07:17 PM) *

Don't send more money to an unknown seller than you can afford to loose. There's been a couple buyers on pelican and 911registry that have sent 10's of thousands to sellers in other countries and not received a car in return or the car was not what they expected. I can't afford to take that kind of chance. So here's my rules of engagement;

Send up to $200 -anybody
Send up to $1000 - 2000 -someone I know and trust
Over $1-2k - face to face.

Everyone has their own comfort level, decide on yours before you send money.

I'll take $200!
Thanks
Cairo94507
I agree these scum bags are everywhere these days. I will not do business with someone who is not a known, active member on the site. Additionally, someone with hardly any posts who happens to have a NOS set of 914-6 heat exchangers is a blaring horn, flashing red light. I am even more cautious than Mark.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.