Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Crankshaft Shims .30mm Notice.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tach
I have ordered several Porsche factory .30mm crank shims from a vendor in the western US. I received the correct Porsche part number on the package but the shims had a ID was to small for the 914 crankshaft and the OD was smaller than the original shims, basically incorrect parts. I then ordered more shims from my local midwest Porsche dealer and again receive the incorrect size shims with the correct part number on the package. The Porsche parts guys want to keep reordering the same part number 021.105.281 hoping we will get lucky and get the right parts. Anybody having this problem? The Porsche parts personal said the parts come from Atlanta and they do not generally answer or return calls about parts to Porsche parts department in this area.
Mark Henry

Sounds like they are sending you VW type1 beetle shims. They look the same just smaller.
tach
I agree with Marks assessment the shims my be a VW crank shim. But is odd the factory Porsche parts warehouse would be sending out type 1,2 or type 3 shims.

Thanks.
Cap'n Krusty
"Odd"? With tens of thousands of part numbers in each of the warehouses, Julio the parts puller isn't gonna check the contents of every package, nor would he know what each piece is supposed to look like. The fault goes all the way back to the guy putting the pieces in the bags, and even he just takes the required number of pieces from the pile and bags 'em. He doesn't know what each one is, either, nor does he have the time/specs/equipment to check each one.

The Cap'n
Jake Raby
These shims have had this defect for several years. There's tons of old stock that is wrong, and its not just this thickness, either.

The ones I have had issues with are between T1 and T4 diameter, and I have even had them put 356/616 shims in the wrong bags before.

Parts guys no longer know anything, back in the day every parts man had every part number memorized, for VW and Porsche. If he didn't, he'd never make any money. Another way the keyboard and monitor have killed human proficiency.
veekry9
Expert parts vendor,knows the product and clients.
As opposed to a timewaster sending crap and asking "Will this work?"
Some of the reactions of the parts desk"We sent you the right part number".
They occasionally get offended when you point out their lack of attention.

Click to view attachment

Re+re this RoadRanger 15 spd '72,waiting for the right part for days,the downtime costing large.
Turns out the parts guy had a sweetheart stocking inventory.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.