Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lightweight body parts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
911buff
I am curious about any factory or dealer optional lightweight equipment. I have a '74 2.0 that has some curious bits on it. It came with some "go fast" factory options; Bilstein shocks and struts, anti-roll bars front and rear, LE front fairing. But, the roof is really thin and light. Likewise, the bumpers are extremely light. I have owned six other teeners and none of them had such a light roof or bumpers. So my question is, were there factory optional lightweight roofs and bumpers available back in the day?
Tom_T
QUOTE(911buff @ Jan 15 2015, 12:28 AM) *

I am curious about any factory or dealer optional lightweight equipment. I have a '74 2.0 that has some curious bits on it. It came with some "go fast" factory options; Bilstein shocks and struts, anti-roll bars front and rear, LE front fairing. But, the roof is really thin and light. Likewise, the bumpers are extremely light. I have owned six other teeners and none of them had such a light roof or bumpers. So my question is, were there factory optional lightweight roofs and bumpers available back in the day?

welcome.png

"Bilstein shocks and struts, anti-roll bars front and rear, LE front fairing" - all were factory options &/or could be had from the dealer when new or thereafter & LE Spoiler was also available aftermarket in the 70's.

"the roof is really thin and light. Likewise, the bumpers are extremely light" - Unless the bumpers are the aftermarket fiberglass ones, AFAIK there were no lightweight metal versions of the bumpers, nor of the FG top. The factory 914-6/GT's used a welded-on steel top to increase torsional body strength.

You can go to Jeff Bowlsby's Classic 914 website at the Options page to see the factory option numbers for stuff, then look at your 914-2.0's window sticker, dealer invoice (new) &/or COA to see which options came on it from the factory.

The first 1/2 of the `73 2.0's lucked out, since they almost all - if not all - came "loaded" with both the Appearance Group & Performance Group options - & so most had the chrome bumpers, F & R anti-sway bars & lightweight forged Fuchs 2L alloys in the base price, & were marketed in the USA by Porsche+Audi as the "914S" - & the Originality & History Forum has a topic on the "914S".

By late in the 73 MY & into 74 MY the buyers had to pay extra for either the option groups or individually. So 73 2L's COA's won't show the "extra options/groups" included in the base price, whereas your 74 2L COA should show them all. In all years the window stickers would show them - either as Incl or with the option price.

p914.com is another good source for what was on when & when it changed. Both that & Bowlsby's website should be part of your 914 online library.

PS - there were the factory lightweight front & rear deck lids available & the steel wheel flares available from dealers (FG flares were aftermarket, as were FG rockers & F & R valances & non-LE spoilers).

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Gustl
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jan 15 2015, 09:56 AM) *
The factory 914-6/GT's used a welded-on steel top to increase torsional body strength.

sorry Tom, but the factory GTs didn't use the steel roof - that's 916 stuff

they used some steel enforcements in addition to the "standard" Roof - had something to do with the guidlines of the GT classes
Tom_T
QUOTE(Gustl @ Jan 15 2015, 05:04 AM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jan 15 2015, 09:56 AM) *
The factory 914-6/GT's used a welded-on steel top to increase torsional body strength.

sorry Tom, but the factory GTs didn't use the steel roof - that's 916 stuff

they used some steel enforcements in addition to the "standard" Roof - had something to do with the guidlines of the GT classes

Well being a -6 guy Wolfgang, you would know. smile.gif

I thought I'd read somewhere in 916 info., that they welded the 916 style steel roof over that GT class required "X" brace earlier for the 914-6/GT factory racers, & that was where the 916 came up with it later on.

But I must be mis-remembering. huh.gif

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.