Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: LED Front Turnsignal And Rear Brake/Taillight/Turnsignals
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
FourBlades
I would like a complete us set front and rear as well!

Thanks for making these!

You have probably saved many 914 s from wrecks.

John
zymurgist
I would like to get in on this, too.

1 Euro version with blanking

Front bucket seals: 1 set
Rear housing seals: 1 set
Rear lens beads: 1 set
Chris H.
Sent you a PM...

Hoping to get a set of front US turn signals.
whatabout1
PM sent

front euro w/ blanking
rear us (red/red)
SKL1
Finally got around to installing the rear red/yellow bulbs on my '71- look great! And bright!

Hope not too late to get rear red/red for my '73.

BTW, do you have front ones for euro lenses with red over white (clear?)

Click to view attachment
SKL1
Hope I can still get front euro for '73 and front amber (for Italian clear front lens) on '71...
GermermanCarGuy
QUOTE(GermermanCarGuy @ Jan 16 2015, 10:09 AM) *

Still in for:
Rear Brakes Lights (pr)
Rear Amber Turn Signals (pr)
and Front Euro w/blanking (pr)

Very excited. piratenanner.gif

Please bundle with complete seal package (f/r) as advertised in your Posted Feb 5 2015, 08:59 PM post.

Still excited. piratenanner.gifpiratenanner.gif

Spock,

Still interested on getting in on the 914 seals deal (if still open). Fronts and rears. We had an email jumble and our order got messed up. unsure.gif PM me for details.

Either way, I'm still in. Oh, and thanks for the LED lights.

Rob
BillC
I just found this thread, and think these are a wonderful idea.

If it's not too late, I'd like to get a full set of front & rear LEDs for my '73, including seals. Thanks!
eric9144
Its funny, was out driving my car last weekend and at a stop, glanced up at my rear view mirror and could totally see both brake lights glaring back at me from the huge chrome bumper of the SUV behind me at the light...8-10' away, in broad daylight.

Hands down one of the best upgrades you can do to increase the visibility of your car to others!
Spoke
QUOTE(GermermanCarGuy @ May 19 2015, 09:46 PM) *

Spock,

Still interested on getting in on the 914 seals deal (if still open). Fronts and rears. We had an email jumble and our order got messed up. unsure.gif PM me for details.

Either way, I'm still in. Oh, and thanks for the LED lights.

Rob

Rob, PM sent.
Spoke
QUOTE(BillC @ May 20 2015, 10:33 AM) *

I just found this thread, and think these are a wonderful idea.

If it's not too late, I'd like to get a full set of front & rear LEDs for my '73, including seals. Thanks!

PM sent. No rear LED boards left. A couple of pairs of fronts left.
SKL1
We need to talk Spoke into making more sets!!

I need another set of rears and think many who hadn't seen this thread for a while ( it was on page 13-14 or so) would pony up as well...

Hint, hint... Jerry...
no1uno
I would be in for a full set if another production run starts
Cairo94507
Well I need a set of the rear red turn signal LED's. I had ordered a set of the Euro rears and then decided to go with USA rear lenses. So if someone needs a set of Euro rears, and can't get them from Spoke, mine will be available once/if I get the reds.
montoya 73 2.0
when you say "last call", does that mean you are no longer going to make or just not going to have in stock and will have to make when ordered?
Spoke
QUOTE(montoya 73 2.0 @ May 22 2015, 01:55 PM) *

when you say "last call", does that mean you are no longer going to make or just not going to have in stock and will have to make when ordered?

We are now out stock of front and rear boards at this time. We'll loop back and make some more boards after a bit of a vacation. That we were able to put all the boards we purchased into use is awesome. You 914world guys rocks. aktion035.gif

We're also looking at doing some 911 brake and rear turnsignal LED boards. I have them on my 930 now and will be sampling boards for a while.

Here's my 930 with LED brake and rear turnsignal LED. The big thing here is being able to steal power for running lights to apply to the turnsignal bulbs. Now instead of just the little brake lights being on for running lights, the turnsignals also add to the 911 rear visual footprint at night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ESpxLwuvDU

And at night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YDVDDF13ik
Shadowfax
QUOTE(Spoke @ May 22 2015, 01:54 PM) *

We are now out stock of front and rear boards at this time. We'll loop back and make some more boards after a bit of a vacation. That we were able to put all the boards we purchased into use is awesome. You 914world guys rocks. aktion035.gif

That's good to hear. I am very happy with the rears. Am definitely in for some front boards next go around.
euro911
Crap, I don't think I can do the 911 LEDs. Mine are early SWB cars with the enclosed tail light assemblies (not removable lenses).

I don't know if the later year tail light buckets can be installed on early cars ... guess I'll have to use one of my life-lines to get the answer rolleyes.gif
SKL1
Be sure to let us know Spoke when you may get around to making more rear sets... TIA
montoya 73 2.0
QUOTE(Spoke @ May 22 2015, 11:54 AM)

Nice, thanks again.
warrenoliver
Just got my fronts today. Went out to the garage and had them in within 10 minutes. Great product. piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif Looking forward to ordering the rears once they are back in stock.

Thanks Jerry beerchug.gif
SKL1
My fronts for both cars are being made now... should have gotten rears for both but by the time I got one set and put them on the '71 they were out of them.
Not cheap, but worth it. Will look forward to a new run of the rears in the future.
Now the LED headlights (another thread...) are on their way. I guess the car is slowly becoming a little more "modern."
dangerranger01
Well Spoke, might as well count me in for a full set of your amazing LED lights. Just pm me when you're doing it and i'll buy them...look totally awesome. Good work!
SKL1
Installed the front LED's on both cars today. The silver car has the clear Italian front lenses with the amber full lights and they look fantastic. The red car has the Euro front lenses with clear bottom and red top. Not sure how Jerry does it but it works both the top and bottom with one plug in rather than the extra bulb and wire with my previous "kit." This is SO much better and works great.

I didn't get my act together quick enough to get the rear lights for the '73 so will be anxiously awaiting Jerry's next run...

Best addition i've found here! Thanks Jerry (spoke)...
morgan_harwell
QUOTE(Spoke @ Feb 23 2015, 08:48 PM) *

Looks good Cary. Are you using the stock 914 flasher or EP36 or other?
A couple of notes:
. . .

2) The early stock 914 flasher (with L & R dash indicators) seems to work fine if the dash indicators are rewired so the common wire normally from the K lug on the flasher are connected to ground. This little bit of resistive load seems to cause the flasher to flash normally with LEDs front and rear. My 914 is wired this way and the flasher will flash normally even with both front and rear lights removed. Another 914World member with LEDs front and rear got his early flasher to work only after rewiring the dash indicators.

3) I'm adding a 1k ohm resistor across the turnsignal wires on the front and rear boards to add at least a little bit of resistive signature to help flashers see the LED loads. Not sure how much this helps but it's easy to do.

. . .

Howdy,

Is a symptom of the above problem => all four LED Turn Signal boards flashing together when the steering column turn signal stalk is set to Left turn or Right turn?

edit 8/18/2016:
I re-wired the L & R dash indicators in the tachometer per 2) above, and all four LED Turn Signal boards (front & rear, left & right) stopped flashing together. Now they operate as expected.
Spoke
QUOTE(morgan_harwell @ Nov 3 2015, 05:30 PM) *

QUOTE(Spoke @ Feb 23 2015, 08:48 PM) *

Looks good Cary. Are you using the stock 914 flasher or EP36 or other?
A couple of notes:
. . .

2) The early stock 914 flasher (with L & R dash indicators) seems to work fine if the dash indicators are rewired so the common wire normally from the K lug on the flasher are connected to ground. This little bit of resistive load seems to cause the flasher to flash normally with LEDs front and rear. My 914 is wired this way and the flasher will flash normally even with both front and rear lights removed. Another 914World member with LEDs front and rear got his early flasher to work only after rewiring the dash indicators.

3) I'm adding a 1k ohm resistor across the turnsignal wires on the front and rear boards to add at least a little bit of resistive signature to help flashers see the LED loads. Not sure how much this helps but it's easy to do.

. . .

Howdy,

Is a symptom of the above problem => all four LED Turn Signal boards flashing together when the steering column turn signal stalk is set to Left turn or Right turn?

All 4 shouldn't operate with the left or right turn signal on. The light loads that these LED boards present to the wiring has a way of illuminating deficiencies in the wiring. Anything is possible with these old cars.
mbseto
Jerry;
Have you thought about getting these certified for road use? Saw a post on another forum from a guy in the industry saying that a test for certification could be as low as $500. Is there enough volume to justify that?
Spoke
QUOTE(mbseto @ Nov 5 2015, 09:17 AM) *

Jerry;
Have you thought about getting these certified for road use? Saw a post on another forum from a guy in the industry saying that a test for certification could be as low as $500. Is there enough volume to justify that?

I haven't considered getting these certified mainly because of the low volumes. Also there are many variants which I imagine would need individual certification:

914 brakes;
914 rear red turnsignals;
914 rear amber turnsignals;
914 front Euro White/amber;
914 front USA all amber;
911 brakes;
911 3rd brake;
911 rear red turnsignals;
911 rear amber turnsignals;
911 front Euro white/amber;
911 front US all amber
Spoke
We're gearing up to do another run of front and rear LEDs. Should have PCBs in hand within a month.

Making some small changes to the boards before going to fab. Every board will now have a footprint for a ballast resistor. This will help dampen the effect of any leakages or other circuits on the light wires.

We're just clearing up an interaction issue with 911 brake lights where the cruise control brake light sensor dumps about 8ma into the brake lights. With no ballast resistor, the CC sensor pulls up on the brake light wire until the LEDs turn on a little bit and the CC refuses to stay engaged. We're adding ballast resistors to all boards now.
Montreal914
What is your configuration for Euro tail lights side marker?
In Europe, my understanding is that they don't use the side marker bulb.
Here, with the small bulb on the side the amber part of the lens gets lit which makes a combination of read and amber taillight. I have been looking for a red small bulb to put on the side so that the amber part would become red.
I found some red covers at Autozone and it worked for a while until they crumbled from the heat.
The result was red everywhere then when the blinker would kick in, it would flash amber.
Did you ever try something like this using LEDs?
whatabout1
I would be in for a pair rears. Have your front Euro's smile.gif

PM'd you a month or 2 ago.

Still in !
rgolia
I am in for a pair of rears US spec. When I purchased the front from you, you mentioned that the rears can have a dim light in the brake light area.....if still possible put me in for that. Thanks Jerry and my fronts look great.
Shadowfax
Very pleased with the rear lights. I'm in for a pair of U.S. front LEDs.
mbseto
QUOTE(Spoke @ Nov 5 2015, 10:31 AM) *

QUOTE(mbseto @ Nov 5 2015, 09:17 AM) *

Jerry;

I haven't considered getting these certified mainly because of the low volumes. Also there are many variants which I imagine would need individual certification:

914 brakes;
914 rear red turnsignals;
914 rear amber turnsignals;
914 front Euro White/amber;
914 front USA all amber;
911 brakes;
911 3rd brake;
911 rear red turnsignals;
911 rear amber turnsignals;
911 front Euro white/amber;
911 front US all amber

Well, I'll just throw this out here... No affiliation to me, just ran across it while looking into the legal aspects of aftermarket lights. From some other thread it looked like you had some pretty thorough testing abilities, this shows what the official tests are looking for with maxes and mins:
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showpo...amp;postcount=3

This whole thread is good from a technical information standpoint- one of the linked threads is an all out flame war and OK for entertainment.
Spoke
QUOTE(mbseto @ Nov 6 2015, 03:51 PM) *

Well, I'll just throw this out here... No affiliation to me, just ran across it while looking into the legal aspects of aftermarket lights. From some other thread it looked like you had some pretty thorough testing abilities, this shows what the official tests are looking for with maxes and mins:
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showpo...amp;postcount=3

This whole thread is good from a technical information standpoint- one of the linked threads is an all out flame war and OK for entertainment.

That is a good thread. Lots of good information. Thanks.
Spoke
Sent the rear PCB design to the fab this week. Will have rear PCBs in about 2 weeks. We'll start with the rear lights then add the front turnsignal bucket lights in the next months. I'll start a new thread when the rear lights are available.
SKL1
Need rear brake and red turn lights for a '73 from your new run...

thx Spoke...
euro911
QUOTE(Spoke @ Nov 5 2015, 09:03 AM) *
We're gearing up to do another run of front and rear LEDs. Should have PCBs in hand within a month.

Making some small changes to the boards before going to fab. Every board will now have a footprint for a ballast resistor. This will help dampen the effect of any leakages or other circuits on the light wires.

We're just clearing up an interaction issue with 911 brake lights where the cruise control brake light sensor dumps about 8ma into the brake lights. With no ballast resistor, the CC sensor pulls up on the brake light wire until the LEDs turn on a little bit and the CC refuses to stay engaged. We're adding ballast resistors to all boards now.
Jerry, are the 'old' ckt boards capable of this mod (adding ballast resistors)?

If so, can you post a pic of where to add the resistor(s), and the value needed?

Paying 'OHMage' to you for bringing these to the marketplace pray.gif

poke.gif
Coondog
Put me down for

1 pair euro fronts with blanking

1 pair euro rear turn amber

1 pair red brake light
LowBridge
wow...

please put me down for a pair of front US and a pair of Brakes US.

also do you make a backup light kit?

do you have a timeline for delivery?
JoeD
I'm in for a full set front and back...

1 pair euro fronts with blanking

1 pair euro rear turn amber

1 pair red brake light

Thanks!

Joe
Spoke
QUOTE(euro911 @ Dec 3 2015, 12:23 AM) *

If so, can you post a pic of where to add the resistor(s), and the value needed?

poke.gif

We had been adding 1k ohm ballast resistors to all front and rear turnsignal boards. These are not the 6 ohm power ballast resistors which can be purchased from lighting sites.

The 1k ohm resistors only help an LED-compatible flasher to break over and turn on.

After the 911 cruise control work, we're now using 301 ohm ballast resistors.

Do you have issues where a ballast resistor would help?
euro911
QUOTE(Spoke @ Dec 3 2015, 09:33 AM) *
QUOTE(euro911 @ Dec 3 2015, 12:23 AM) *

poke.gif

We had been adding 1k ohm ballast resistors to all front and rear turnsignal boards. These are not the 6 ohm power ballast resistors which can be purchased from lighting sites.

The 1k ohm resistors only help an LED-compatible flasher to break over and turn on.

After the 911 cruise control work, we're now using 301 ohm ballast resistors.

Do you have issues where a ballast resistor would help?
Don't know - I haven't installed them yet ... many other tasks to perform (on my wife's '71) before I get to these. I'll see if I can find some [spare] time to try them out, and report back.
Steve
I installed the euro ones front and rear. The fronts have the blanking circuits. They work great and the light output is night and day better. My flasher relay works fine, but the dash light stopped flashing. At this point I do not know if it's related to the led lights. I have done a lot rewiring with the new gauges. Hopefully I will have time to play with it this weekend.
SKL1
Have the euro fronts on the '73 and love how they work with the top blinker and bottom running lights. SO much better than those cheap "kits" to make the euro lenses work appropriately.
Rear euro lights with brake lights also work great with much better output than stock on my '71.
Just need the US rear sets for the '73 when Spoke starts his new run. Didn't order them in time with his last run...
Spoke
QUOTE(Steve @ Dec 3 2015, 06:58 PM) *

I installed the euro ones front and rear. The fronts have the blanking circuits. They work great and the light output is night and day better. My flasher relay works fine, but the dash light stopped flashing. At this point I do not know if it's related to the led lights. I have done a lot rewiring with the new gauges. Hopefully I will have time to play with it this weekend.

You have a single L/R dash indicator, correct?

Your stock flasher still flashes with LED turnsignals because the flasher does a dual purpose: Flash the turnsignals and flash the brake indicator.

See the diagram below for 74+ 914's with the single turnsignal dash indicator. Notice the coil and relay contacts next to the 49A and C pins on the flasher. This secondary relay allows the brake indicator to flash the small, low current bulb in the dash without flashing the L/R indicator.

When the very heavy load turnsignal bulbs are connected when either the turnsignal stalk is active or the 4-way flasher pulled, this secondary relay will close and flash the L/R indicator. With LED turnsignals which are a very light load are active, there is not enough current to pull in the secondary relay and the L/R indicator does not flash.

Question: does the L/R indicator flash when the 4-way flasher.

There's not a plug-in replacement for this flasher with the secondary relay. Thank Porsche for that little feature. There is an EP26 flasher available with 4 pins like the original. Unfortunately the K/C/C2 pin on EP26 is not connected to anything. I did modify an EP26 to power the K/C/C2 pin for one guy.

Personally I'm not a fan of the single L/R indicator. I think it's stupid. On my '74 914, I purchased an early tach, removed the guts and installed the guts from my '74. This way I had dedicated L and R indicators.
StratPlayer
I'm having the same problem,, turn signals work fine dash light doesn't work. Late model single L/R dash indicator.
Spoke
QUOTE(StratPlayer @ Dec 3 2015, 08:54 PM) *

I'm having the same problem,, turn signals work fine dash light doesn't work. Late model single L/R dash indicator.

There are 2 solutions to this:

1) Buy an early tach and use it with separate L and R indicators. I did this with my '74.

2) Buy an EP26 and modify it. I've hesitated offering to provide modified EP26's just because it's a pain in the ass. Had to pop the lid off, unsolder the relay and modify the PCB and put it back together. It bums me out that folks lose their dash indicator when switching to LED turnsignals.

Would you be interested in purchasing a modified EP26 from me? Being up front, the EP26 is $15 at our FLAPS, $20 to do the mod and test, and $5 shipping (CONUS); $40 total.

One caveat to the modified EP26: When the e-brake or MC failure lights are on, the turnsignal dash indicator would also flash. EP26 does not have the secondary relay to prevent the turnsignal dash indicator from flashing with brake stuff.

Steve
QUOTE(Spoke @ Dec 3 2015, 05:50 PM) *

QUOTE(Steve @ Dec 3 2015, 06:58 PM) *

You have a single L/R dash indicator, correct?

The tach is a six tach, but I just use one bulb in it.
I'll check the flasher and bulb this weekend.
Spoke
QUOTE(Steve @ Dec 3 2015, 09:20 PM) *

The tach is a six tach, but I just use one bulb in it.
I'll check the flasher and bulb this weekend.

So the tach has L and R bulbs but you just use one to be consistent with your flasher?

If it were me, I would put L and R indicator bulbs in, wire a contact from each bulb to ground, and the other sides of the bulbs right to the turnsignal wires at the 4-way flasher where all the exterior turnsignal wires converge. Did this on my '74 when I rewired for an early tach with separate L and R indicators.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.