Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: LED Front Turnsignal And Rear Brake/Taillight/Turnsignals
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Steve
QUOTE(Spoke @ Dec 3 2015, 06:32 PM) *

QUOTE(Steve @ Dec 3 2015, 09:20 PM) *

The tach is a six tach, but I just use one bulb in it.
I'll check the flasher and bulb this weekend.

So the tach has L and R bulbs but you just use one to be consistent with your flasher?

If it were me, I would put L and R indicator bulbs in, wire a contact from each bulb to ground, and the other sides of the bulbs right to the turnsignal wires at the 4-way flasher where all the exterior turnsignal wires converge. Did this on my '74 when I rewired for an early tach with separate L and R indicators.

That makes sense and easy to do.
Thanks!!
rgolia
Spoke - I have the same issue. I think going for the tach swap out is the way to go. So I will now go looking for a tach. How is the new group buy coming along? I previously noted that I am in for a set of US tail lights.
Spoke
QUOTE(rgolia @ Dec 4 2015, 03:01 PM) *

How is the new group buy coming along? I previously noted that I am in for a set of US tail lights.

The rear PCBs are in the fab now. Expect them back in less than 2 weeks. I'll start a group buy thread in a couple of days to get things going.

We're going to start with rear PCBs then add front turnsignals just to keep the workload at a manageable level.
Spoke
Rear boards are back from the fab. Look for a new GB thread in a couple of days. We should be able to start shipping after the new year.
whitetwinturbo
Just got and installed front LED's .... NICE. piratenanner.gif

Left from front picture shows LED and right/driver from the front shows stock bulb. Note bottom section of stock is much less bright.

piratenanner.gif

Click to view attachment
db9146
Spoke, I have a question.

If I mask off the LEDs, can I paint the PWB beneath? On the previous version Euro front set, the green can be seen somewhat through the Euro lens (particularly the clear bottom portion) and I was wondering about a way to cover that up.

Thanks.
Luke M
icon_bump.gif for a great product...

I installed Spoke's LED kit in the front and rear housings.
It didn't take too long and it was pretty easy to do.
I'd say best upgrade and money well spent on this.

Also thanks to 914rubber for making the seals used to finish sealing these up.

Thanks again for offering these products..
jim_hoyland
Fantastic product, just finished converting the rear brakes lights, backup lights, and turnsignsls. Each board is made to fit like a glove and the connectors are high quality: not likely to corrode.

Next: gonna do the fronts
jim_hoyland
The front Euro lights need to be upgraded now. Here's a pic of my set up. It's a little different; I made a custom separate white light holder for the lower portion.
The Amber part has a dual filiment bulb for running and turn signal; the White part is a single filiment bulb. The wire that connects the White bulb has a female connector on the end.
I will remove the lower bulb support/holder so to make room for the new board
Will PM too
Spoke
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ May 14 2019, 08:10 PM) *

The front Euro lights need to be upgraded now. Here's a pic of my set up. It's a little different; I made a custom separate white light holder for the lower portion.
The Amber part has a dual filiment bulb for running and turn signal; the White part is a single filiment bulb. The wire that connects the White bulb has a female connector on the end.
Will PM too

Jim,

Just to confirm, does the bulb for the turnsignal also light up dimly for just running lights? Is the bulb socket still like OEM for a 1157 bulb?

Also does the amber part of the lens light gently for running lights with the white light on?
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Spoke @ May 14 2019, 05:26 PM) *

QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ May 14 2019, 08:10 PM) *

Will PM too

Jim,

Just to confirm, does the bulb for the turnsignal also light up dimly for just running lights? Is the bulb socket still like OEM for a 1157 bulb?
YES

Also does the amber part of the lens light gently for running lights with the white light on?
YES

petza914
Finally got around to installing the full spokeworks exterior LED kit into my 914 that I got last Christmas. Much brighter, lower power consumption, and some cool features like the front white lights turn off when the amber turn signals are activated. Linked instructions were very good, fit was very good.

Very happy with the results

I have some led bulbs for the front headlights yet to install behind my H4 lenses to complete the job.
ValcoOscar
agree.gif

Spoke's LED lights are one of my favorite mods. Keeps our cars a bit more visible out on the road. Thank you!!!

beerchug.gif

I hope to buy some more soon...

Oscar
drem914
QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Oct 25 2019, 07:30 AM) *

agree.gif

Spoke's LED lights are one of my favorite mods. Keeps our cars a bit more visible out on the road. Thank you!!!

beerchug.gif

Oscar

agree.gif except not to sure about the "hope to buy more soon." That means I need to get another car and I just don't have room in the garage right now.
ndfrigi
QUOTE(drem914 @ Oct 25 2019, 12:44 PM) *

QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Oct 25 2019, 07:30 AM) *

agree.gif

beerchug.gif

Oscar

agree.gif except not to sure about the "hope to buy more soon." That means I need to get another car and I just don't have room in the garage right now.

applicable to Oscar to buy more since he has several 914s and all running car and not just project on jack stands or parts car. hehehe
Waiting to Install mine soon since I got mine from Michael (cairo) that he didn’t use.
Hope I can exchange the front euro green board to white also even I didn’t really bought it directly from Spoke.
Spoke
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Oct 25 2019, 03:56 PM) *

Hope I can exchange the front euro green board to white also even I didn’t really bought it directly from Spoke.

@ndfrigi

Sure you can exchange the front Euro green board. Michael purchased that set back in 2015. Glad to see the boards still in use in another 914. beerchug.gif
mmichalik
If we still can, I would like a full set, front and rear, all U.S plus seals.
Let me know please
Spoke
QUOTE(mmichalik @ Oct 26 2019, 12:00 AM) *

If we still can, I would like a full set, front and rear, all U.S plus seals.
Let me know please

Still making all the LEDs. Check my website:

Spokeworks LED

For seals, check out 914rubber.com.
malcolm2
Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

Added brake-tail lights tonight. Easy peezy.
Porschef
On my wish list beerchug.gif
TitanMZ3
I picked up the whole LED light kit for my '76 914. I am impressed. Huge upgrade in visibility. The back-up lights really light the way. The initial setup takes a bit mostly due to cleaning up the bulb sockets of oxidation and attaching the support brackets. Once that is done though, installation or reversal of the entire kit will probably take 5-8 minutes. I attached a bunch of pics. The driver's side of the car has been swapped over to LED. I ended up not needing the modified turn signal relay since it seemed to work just fine.

Some vid taken perhaps 30 minutes before dusk
https://youtu.be/_NfOOI45hr0
https://youtu.be/6bnrjdgwVvM

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
BPic
Received my Spoke LED fogs back yesterday and they are really nice. Thanks @spoke

Installation is as easy as mounting them and hooking up the wires, they come ready to use. I now have Spoke LED on all four corners, Spoke fogs, and I went 914Rubber LED bulbs for the headlights. I already did the grounding of the white/blue wire from the fog relay and will change the wiring so I can run the fogs as running lights. The pics don't do them justice since I'm not a photographer and taking pics of lights makes thing look weird but here they are and they are very bright. I'll try to get better pics and repost.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

So here's the thing. There are a few other options for LED out there but.... None that are the quality of Spoke LEDs and if you have questions try getting ahold of someone that knows the 914 intricacies. I sent Jerry an email on a Saturday to ask a question about an issue I was having and within 15 minutes my phone rang. He said it was easier to go over it on the phone and spent 20 minutes fixing what I screwed up and talking about 914's in general. So if you want a quality product, excellent customer service, and a fair price go with Spoke.

Thanks again Jerry! Love the lights!! beerchug.gif
mb911
Just ordered brake lights from Jerry..
ClayPerrine
We have spoke's lights on the rear of Betty's car. When I got hit, the first thing I did was turn on the hazard flashers. The whole back end of the car was smashed, but Spoke's LED lights in the rear were still working even after some of the LEDs were scraped off the board!!! You could see the right rear light still working from inside the folded sheet metal.

Hell of a great product. I will be installing new ones when we get her car back from the body shop.

Clay
76-914
QUOTE(BPic @ May 12 2020, 04:33 AM) *

Received my Spoke LED fogs back yesterday and they are really nice. Thanks @spoke

Installation is as easy as mounting them and hooking up the wires, they come ready to use. I now have Spoke LED on all four corners, Spoke fogs, and I went 914Rubber LED bulbs for the headlights. I already did the grounding of the white/blue wire from the fog relay and will change the wiring so I can run the fogs as running lights. The pics don't do them justice since I'm not a photographer and taking pics of lights makes thing look weird but here they are and they are very bright. I'll try to get better pics and repost.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

So here's the thing. There are a few other options for LED out there but.... None that are the quality of Spoke LEDs and if you have questions try getting ahold of someone that knows the 914 intricacies. I sent Jerry an email on a Saturday to ask a question about an issue I was having and within 15 minutes my phone rang. He said it was easier to go over it on the phone and spent 20 minutes fixing what I screwed up and talking about 914's in general. So if you want a quality product, excellent customer service, and a fair price go with Spoke.

I 2nd Jerry's stellar service. Top Notch! first.gif
Spoke
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ May 12 2020, 09:17 AM) *

We have spoke's lights on the rear of Betty's car. When I got hit, the first thing I did was turn on the hazard flashers. The whole back end of the car was smashed, but Spoke's LED lights in the rear were still working even after some of the LEDs were scraped off the board!!! You could see the right rear light still working from inside the folded sheet metal.

Hell of a great product. I will be installing new ones when we get her car back from the body shop.

Clay

@ClayPerrine

Still pleasantly amazed you were not seriously hurt in that accident. Let me know what lights need replaced and I'll take care of it. Please send me the broken boards unless you want to keep them.
Eric_Shea
Offroad car has a set. No filaments to rattle loose.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Spoke @ May 12 2020, 01:57 PM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ May 12 2020, 09:17 AM) *

Clay

@ClayPerrine

Still pleasantly amazed you were not seriously hurt in that accident. Let me know what lights need replaced and I'll take care of it. Please send me the broken boards unless you want to keep them.

I will let the body shop know to save them.
Spoke
Got the first set of round brake/rear turnsignal board assembled. This set will be going to Bob @Rleog for his 914RS car.

I will test out the boards on my 914 so hope to have some pictures later today. Assuming they fit well, I'll put these on my website soon. These boards have 20 more LEDs than the square brake/turnsignal boards as I wanted to insure that the round pattern wouldn't have holes.

As for pricing, the added LEDs and inflation has caught up to Spokeworks. Pricing will change from $90 to $100 for the brakes and $100 to $110 for the turnsignals. The first price increase since 2014 when I started making these boards. The square boards will remain at their current price points.

Click to view attachment
SKL1
Another satisfied customer here- have them on both 914's, with euro lighting (ROW on one, Italian clear fronts on another)...

Need to get his fog light boards- just haven't gotten around to it.
Spoke
The fit is good. They look really cool although the reverse light is still a square.
Spoke
Here's some pictures at night. The pattern is definitely round and looks great. Interestingly as well, the turnsignal lenses are amber yet the red turnsignal LEDs look the same as the brake LEDs.

The extra 20 LEDs worked out well to fill in the circle.

mb911
Very nice..
ValcoOscar
VERY Nice....
biggrin.gif smile.gif shades.gif
When will you start to offer these?

@Spoke

Oscar
Gatornapper
” I already did the grounding of the white/blue wire from the fog relay and will change the wiring so I can run the fogs as running lights.”

PLEASE tell me how to do this - been wanting to do the same.

GN

QUOTE(BPic @ May 12 2020, 05:33 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

mb911
QUOTE(Gatornapper @ May 26 2020, 03:59 PM) *

” I already did the grounding of the white/blue wire from the fog relay and will change the wiring so I can run the fogs as running lights.”

PLEASE tell me how to do this - been wanting to do the same.

GN

QUOTE(BPic @ May 12 2020, 05:33 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Same here.
BPic
@Gatornapper
@MB911

This is copied form some place but I don't remember where I got it. Worked great for me. I did conversion 1b and conversion 2.

914 FOGLIGHT REWIRING INSTRUCTIONS

Ever wish you could use your foglights without having to have your headlight on, or wish they would stay on when you switch on the highbeams? Well, this set of instructions will explain how to rewire your 914 so that you can!

This set of instructions has been compiled from a variety of sources:

1. Instructions from GPR (no longer on the web as far as I know).
2. Instructions from a technical article in Porsche Panorama July '89.
3. Studying the wiring diagrams from the factory manuals (note: the wiring diagrams in the Haynes manual for '75 and '76 cars is incorrect when it comes to the fog light wiring, so do not use that diagram as a reference).
DISCLAIMER: I have only done this conversion on my '74 914. These instructions may or may not be correct, and cannot account for any previous re-wires that may have been done to your electrical system. So follow these instructions at your own risk!

The first step is to figure out how you want your fog lights to work. From the factory, your fog lights will only operate when the headlights are on ('70 and '71 cars can use their foglights with the running lights), and will turn off when your headlights are switched to high beams.
Conversion #1 (choose 1a or 1b), will modify when you are able to use your fog lights.
Conversion #2 will keep your fog lights on when using high beams.

Conversion 1a: Fog lights enabled with the running lights. This option will enable you to use your fog lights anytime your running lights are on. This is my preferred method because I can just leave my fog light switch on permanently. Whenever I want just the fogs, I pull the headlight switch to the running light position, and of course, they stay on with the headlights as well. '70-'71 cars (4cyl and 6cyl) already come from the factory wired for this.

Conversion 1b: Fog lights enabled with the ignition. This option will allow you to turn on the fog lights anytime the igniton is turned on. This option is best for people who want to use their fog lights as daytime running lights, or for those who simply want to use their fog lights without any other lights being on.

Conversion 2: This option will enable your fog lights to stay on when the headlights are switched to high beam. This is a completely separate change from options 1a or 1b. Personally, I did not see the purpose in doing this (I very rarely use my high beams anyway).

Conversion #1 Instructions.
1. Disconnect the negative side of the battery.

2. Remove the headlight switch from the dash mounted location and let it hang down below the dash.

3. Locate the following black wire w/ blue stripe:

• '70-'71 914-4 and 914-6: Black wire w/ blue stripe will be plugged into the #58b terminal on the headlight switch, along with a grey wire.
• '72-'73: Black wire w/ blue stripe will be plugged into the #56 terminal on the headlight switch, along with a grey wire and a red w/white striped wire.
• '74-'76: Black wire w/ blue stripe will be plugged into the #56 terminal on the headlight switch, along with a red w/white striped wire.
4. Carefully cut the black wire w/ blue stripe as close to the end (spade terminal) as possible leaving no part of the wire exposed. Crimp a piggy-back spade connector to the end of this wire. A piggy back spade terminal looks like this:

Click to view attachment

5a. (do this step if you selected option 1a above):
To enable your fog lights with the running lights, locate the 'K' ternimal on the headlight switch and remove the connector that is attached to it. Plug on the black wire w/ blue stripe and then piggyback the wire that was originally on the 'K' terminal.

5b. (do this step if you selected option 1b above):
To enable your fog lights with the ignition, then locate the #15 ternimal on the headlight switch and remove the connector that is attached to it. Plug on the black wire w/ blue stripe and then piggyback the wire that was originally on the #15 terminal.

6. Now put the headlight switch back into place and continue on to conversion #2 if you decided to do that modification as well. Otherwise, go ahead and hook up your battery and test out your fog lights.

Conversion #2 Instructions.

2. Remove the fuse cover and remove the screws which hold the fuse block plate in place - pull down the fuse block assembly and let it hang.

3. Locate and cut the following white w/blue striped wire:

• '70-'71 914/4: First, you need to locate the combination relay. I believe it is mounted on the fuse block panel. The white w/blue striped wire will be attached to the 'F' terminal on the combination relay (along with a plain white wire). Cut this wire as close to the relay as possible leaving no part of the wire exposed.
• '72-'73 and 914/6: There will be two white w/blue striped wires attached at the #1 fuse on the fuse block. One of these wires goes to the high beam indicator in the tachometer, the other is for the fog light relay. You need to determine which is which (trial and error, multimeter, etc), and leave the high beam indicator wire in place. Cut the other (the one for the fog light relay) white w/blue striped wire as close to the end (spade connector) as possible leaving no part of the wire exposed.
• '74-'76: The white w/blue striped wire is attached at the input side of the #1 fuse on the fuse block (input side is toward the rear of the car). Cut this wire as close to the end (spade connector) as possible leaving no part of the wire exposed. Note: There is another white w/blue striped wire attached to the output side of the #1 fuse - leave this wire alone as it is for the high beam indicator light.

4. Now you need to permanently ground this white/blue striped wire. You will notice that there is a ground connection located at the upper left side of the fuse block mount with a bunch of other brown wires held down by a 13mm nut. You may need to splice in a few inches of additional wire to reach this ground point. Crimp a solderless terminal which will fit over the ground stud onto the wire, and fasten it to the ground connection with the other wires.

5. Now put the fuse block back in place, and hook up your battery. Your fog lights should now work with the high beams!
Gatornapper
Thanks BP!

1b is what I’m after.....

So I do both what is in 1b AND what is in 2. ‘74-‘76. 5......right?

GN

QUOTE(BPic @ May 27 2020, 05:26 AM) *

@Gatornapper
@MB911

This is copied form some place but I don't remember where I got it. Worked great for me. I did conversion 1b and conversion 2.

914 FOGLIGHT REWIRING INSTRUCTIONS

Ever wish you could use your foglights without having to have your headlight on, or wish they would stay on when you switch on the highbeams? Well, this set of instructions will explain how to rewire your 914 so that you can!

This set of instructions has been compiled from a variety of sources:

1. Instructions from GPR (no longer on the web as far as I know).
2. Instructions from a technical article in Porsche Panorama July '89.
3. Studying the wiring diagrams from the factory manuals (note: the wiring diagrams in the Haynes manual for '75 and '76 cars is incorrect when it comes to the fog light wiring, so do not use that diagram as a reference).
DISCLAIMER: I have only done this conversion on my '74 914. These instructions may or may not be correct, and cannot account for any previous re-wires that may have been done to your electrical system. So follow these instructions at your own risk!

The first step is to figure out how you want your fog lights to work. From the factory, your fog lights will only operate when the headlights are on ('70 and '71 cars can use their foglights with the running lights), and will turn off when your headlights are switched to high beams.
Conversion #1 (choose 1a or 1b), will modify when you are able to use your fog lights.
Conversion #2 will keep your fog lights on when using high beams.

Conversion 1a: Fog lights enabled with the running lights. This option will enable you to use your fog lights anytime your running lights are on. This is my preferred method because I can just leave my fog light switch on permanently. Whenever I want just the fogs, I pull the headlight switch to the running light position, and of course, they stay on with the headlights as well. '70-'71 cars (4cyl and 6cyl) already come from the factory wired for this.

Conversion 1b: Fog lights enabled with the ignition. This option will allow you to turn on the fog lights anytime the igniton is turned on. This option is best for people who want to use their fog lights as daytime running lights, or for those who simply want to use their fog lights without any other lights being on.

Conversion 2: This option will enable your fog lights to stay on when the headlights are switched to high beam. This is a completely separate change from options 1a or 1b. Personally, I did not see the purpose in doing this (I very rarely use my high beams anyway).

Conversion #1 Instructions.

2. Remove the headlight switch from the dash mounted location and let it hang down below the dash.

3. Locate the following black wire w/ blue stripe:

• '70-'71 914-4 and 914-6: Black wire w/ blue stripe will be plugged into the #58b terminal on the headlight switch, along with a grey wire.
• '72-'73: Black wire w/ blue stripe will be plugged into the #56 terminal on the headlight switch, along with a grey wire and a red w/white striped wire.
• '74-'76: Black wire w/ blue stripe will be plugged into the #56 terminal on the headlight switch, along with a red w/white striped wire.
4. Carefully cut the black wire w/ blue stripe as close to the end (spade terminal) as possible leaving no part of the wire exposed. Crimp a piggy-back spade connector to the end of this wire. A piggy back spade terminal looks like this:

Click to view attachment

5a. (do this step if you selected option 1a above):
To enable your fog lights with the running lights, locate the 'K' ternimal on the headlight switch and remove the connector that is attached to it. Plug on the black wire w/ blue stripe and then piggyback the wire that was originally on the 'K' terminal.

5b. (do this step if you selected option 1b above):
To enable your fog lights with the ignition, then locate the #15 ternimal on the headlight switch and remove the connector that is attached to it. Plug on the black wire w/ blue stripe and then piggyback the wire that was originally on the #15 terminal.

6. Now put the headlight switch back into place and continue on to conversion #2 if you decided to do that modification as well. Otherwise, go ahead and hook up your battery and test out your fog lights.

Conversion #2 Instructions.

2. Remove the fuse cover and remove the screws which hold the fuse block plate in place - pull down the fuse block assembly and let it hang.

3. Locate and cut the following white w/blue striped wire:

• '70-'71 914/4: First, you need to locate the combination relay. I believe it is mounted on the fuse block panel. The white w/blue striped wire will be attached to the 'F' terminal on the combination relay (along with a plain white wire). Cut this wire as close to the relay as possible leaving no part of the wire exposed.
• '72-'73 and 914/6: There will be two white w/blue striped wires attached at the #1 fuse on the fuse block. One of these wires goes to the high beam indicator in the tachometer, the other is for the fog light relay. You need to determine which is which (trial and error, multimeter, etc), and leave the high beam indicator wire in place. Cut the other (the one for the fog light relay) white w/blue striped wire as close to the end (spade connector) as possible leaving no part of the wire exposed.
• '74-'76: The white w/blue striped wire is attached at the input side of the #1 fuse on the fuse block (input side is toward the rear of the car). Cut this wire as close to the end (spade connector) as possible leaving no part of the wire exposed. Note: There is another white w/blue striped wire attached to the output side of the #1 fuse - leave this wire alone as it is for the high beam indicator light.

4. Now you need to permanently ground this white/blue striped wire. You will notice that there is a ground connection located at the upper left side of the fuse block mount with a bunch of other brown wires held down by a 13mm nut. You may need to splice in a few inches of additional wire to reach this ground point. Crimp a solderless terminal which will fit over the ground stud onto the wire, and fasten it to the ground connection with the other wires.

5. Now put the fuse block back in place, and hook up your battery. Your fog lights should now work with the high beams!
BPic
@Gatornapper - That is correct. It's a fairly easy job. beerchug.gif
Spoke
@Gatornapper
@bdstone914

GN,

Follow the thread below for rewiring the foglight. I showed how I did the rewire on my 71 as well as Bruce's rewire. Looks like the wiring changed over the 914 years but the basic idea is the same.

@BPic

Great write up. Many thanks. beerchug.gif

Rewiring Foglight
Gatornapper
Spoke -

Now going to read what you posted below.......Thanks!

GN

QUOTE(Spoke @ May 28 2020, 09:47 PM) *

@Gatornapper
@bdstone914

GN,

Follow the thread below for rewiring the foglight. I showed how I did the rewire on my 71 as well as Bruce's rewire. Looks like the wiring changed over the 914 years but the basic idea is the same.

@BPic

Rewiring Foglight
Gatornapper
Still not seeing what I want - Fog LIghts on whenever ignition is on as running lights, bypassing both Fog Light switch (do not have, do not want) and headlight switch.

Seems to me all I need to do is cut white/blue wire and get 12+ from any ignition hot source (cigar lighter) to it/pin 86. Seal end of white/blue wire that goes to low beam fuse. Install one of my relays from 914rubber - and I’ve got my LED running light/fog lights.....

Wouldn’t this work cleanly?

GN

QUOTE(Spoke @ May 28 2020, 09:47 PM) *

@Gatornapper
@bdstone914

GN,

@BPic

Rewiring Foglight
Spoke
I'm updating the Euro front turnsignals to add more white LEDs. Recently I did a brake light for an MG. It was a tiny board and I jammed 48 LEDs on to it. That got me thinking about the 914 Euro front turnsignals.

The current design has 21 white LEDs and the board is designed for both Euro with 21 white and 48 amber LEDs as well as the US configuration with all amber LEDs.

I wanted to jam as many white LEDs as possible where they would all shine through the clear part of the Euro lens. The first design is V7 below with 33 white LEDs. This design is completely routed and ready for the fab house.

Upon further review, I wanted to jam even more white LEDs on the board. One thing I noticed about the board and the Euro lens, was that I could see the first row of amber LEDs through the clear portion of the lens. That means I could add another row of white LEDs and they would shine through the clear part of the lens. This design is shown below as V8 and has 42 white LEDs. Twice as many as the current design.

Even though the V7 design is ready for fabrication, I think I want to do the V8 design with more LEDs.

Still need to do the final layout for this board.

@rmital
Ray, this means your front turnsignals will be delayed until I finish the layout, get the board fabricated and assembled. Sorry to make you wait but it should be well worth it.

V7 - 33 White LEDs
Click to view attachment

V8 - 42 White LEDs
Click to view attachment
rmital
QUOTE(Spoke @ Aug 2 2020, 08:30 PM) *

@rmital
Ray, this means your front turnsignals will be delayed until I finish the layout, get the board fabricated and assembled. Sorry to make you wait but it should be well worth it.

no problem, no rush! thanks!
Spoke
Doing rear boards in white now. From now on, white boards will come with white clips. Thanks Pete for the suggestion.

@horizontally-opposed

Cairo94507
smilie_pokal.gif This is one of the best upgrades you can do to improve the safety of your car. I know @Spoke is also working on a way to do the foglight so it looks closer to the stock configuration (round). I am anxiously awaiting those so I can upgrade my foglights as they are wired to work as daytime running lights. beerchug.gif
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Feb 13 2021, 06:54 AM) *

smilie_pokal.gif This is one of the best upgrades you can do to improve the safety of your car.

FULLY agree—and Jerry has been fabulous to deal with.

We are lucky to have him as a vendor.
porsche914gt
sure, full set, please.
anderssj
QUOTE(Spoke @ Aug 2 2020, 08:30 PM) *

I'm updating the Euro front turnsignals to add more white LEDs. Recently I did a brake light for an MG. It was a tiny board and I jammed 48 LEDs on to it. That got me thinking about the 914 Euro front turnsignals.

The current design has 21 white LEDs and the board is designed for both Euro with 21 white and 48 amber LEDs as well as the US configuration with all amber LEDs.

I wanted to jam as many white LEDs as possible where they would all shine through the clear part of the Euro lens. The first design is V7 below with 33 white LEDs. This design is completely routed and ready for the fab house.

Upon further review, I wanted to jam even more white LEDs on the board. One thing I noticed about the board and the Euro lens, was that I could see the first row of amber LEDs through the clear portion of the lens. That means I could add another row of white LEDs and they would shine through the clear part of the lens. This design is shown below as V8 and has 42 white LEDs. Twice as many as the current design.

Even though the V7 design is ready for fabrication, I think I want to do the V8 design with more LEDs.

Still need to do the final layout for this board.

@rmital

V7 - 33 White LEDs
Click to view attachment

V8 - 42 White LEDs
Click to view attachment

Spoke,

Thanks for your work on the LED lights! The brake light boards are GREAT--as the others said, they provide a huge improvement in visibility and safety.

Is the latest version of the front Euro turn signals (V8 w/42 white LEDs?) available yet? I've got a tax return burning a hole in my pocket biggrin.gif

Thanks!

Steve A-
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(Spoke @ Feb 13 2021, 06:32 AM) *

Doing rear boards in white now. From now on, white boards will come with white clips. Thanks Pete for the suggestion.

@horizontally-opposed

Just got the new white clips and tried them. Thank you for sending them!

For those interested, the white boards really "hide" the LED elements on the brake boards when seen through the red lenses, which are so much less opaque than I thought. Alas, while the black clips were a bit too obvious through the red lenses, the new white clips are too. So I tried a bit of flat aluminum paint on one set of clips and "chrome" paint on the other. Bingo. After a few seconds of "work" with a can of spray paint, the LED brake boards are effectively an invisible (but massive) upgrade.

Will get some pics, but many thanks to Spoke Works for a fantastic product beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.