Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: LED Front Turnsignal And Rear Brake/Taillight/Turnsignals
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Spoke
A couple of folks have had issues installing the bulb bases into the existing sockets. Much of the difficulty has to do with the existing socket which is over 40 years old and may likely have suffered from aging and moisture. This makes the bulbs hard to install/remove and can affect the electrical connection to the bulb.

This is a good time to do some preventive maintenance on the socket to improve electrical connectivity and ease installation of the LED bulb bases or even the standard bulbs.

Here's an example of a bulb with severe oxidation and crud that came off of my 930. This bulb was so hard to remove that I thought the bulb was going to break in my hand as I removed it. Likewise the socket looked in the same condition. I connected an LED board for the 911 in its place and it didn't light up at all. I had to clean the socket with a wire wheel on my Dremel before the LEDs would light up.

Click to view attachment

After cleaning the socket with a wire wheel, or scraping the crud with a small screwdriver, dielectric grease like this one are available at your FLAPS for less than $2 goes a long way to improving electrical contact and easing installation of bulbs/LEDs.

Click to view attachment
Spoke
I've been thinking of ways to provide a handle to help assist the installation of the bulb bases. Thought about a piece of metal, wood, or plastic but nothing seemed to fit the bill.

Then I tried a piece of circuit board. Seems like it would give a good grip for installation and would not short out the wires if they touched. What I did was chop up some old boards we had lying around work. I will try this on these boards.

Would it take away from the product if I used old circuit boards for the handles? I could state that we're using recycled materials to be more ecologically friendly. Your feedback is welcome.
clapeza
That'd be great! I buggered up one of my tail light bulb bases trying to get a good grip so it would turn and engage in the socket. This "green solution" is a great idea!
Cairo94507
Great idea and eco-friendly too. The world and the 914 wins! bye1.gif
Spoke
Now is a good time to seal up the front and rear buckets to protect your LED board investments.

I am very pleased to be able to offer bundle pricing for front and rear bucket and rear lens seals by 914Rubber for anyone purchasing front or rear LED boards.

Prices:
Front bucket seals: $12.50 savings of 24% over retail
Rear housing seals: $16.00 savings of 33% over retail
Rear lens beads: $5.00 savings of $28% over retail

Front Bucket Seal

Rear Housing Seal

Rear Lens Bead
cn2800
QUOTE(Spoke @ Feb 5 2015, 10:59 PM) *

Now is a good time to seal up the front and rear buckets to protect your LED board investments.

I am very pleased to be able to offer bundle pricing for front and rear bucket and rear lens seals by 914Rubber for anyone purchasing front or rear LED boards.

Prices:

Front Bucket Seal

Rear Housing Seal

Rear Lens Bead

Bundle me, please! Additionally, you can put my LED assemblies at the tail end of your build schedule. I won't be needing them until next fall at the earliest.
kid914
Is this another thread? I didn't see my post. blink.gif

In for a set of front ambers...and rear reds.
Thanks beerchug.gif
Spoke
QUOTE(kid914 @ Feb 6 2015, 10:04 AM) *

Is this another thread? I didn't see my post. blink.gif

In for a set of front ambers...and rear reds.
Thanks beerchug.gif

This is the right thread. Got you on the list from the previous thread.

It's been slow getting all the cogs going for this project. Just received the first batch of clips for the fronts and rears. Things are going to start happening now. I gotta get my own 3d printer. dry.gif
euro911
QUOTE(Spoke @ Feb 4 2015, 10:06 AM) *
I've been thinking of ways to provide a handle to help assist the installation of the bulb bases. Thought about a piece of metal, wood, or plastic but nothing seemed to fit the bill.

Then I tried a piece of circuit board. Seems like it would give a good grip for installation and would not short out the wires if they touched. What I did was chop up some old boards we had lying around work. I will try this on these boards.

Would it take away from the product if I used old circuit boards for the handles? I could state that we're using recycled materials to be more ecologically friendly. Your feedback is welcome.
I'm good with it shades.gif

Are you going to glue the boards into the bulb bases?
GermermanCarGuy
QUOTE(Spoke @ Feb 5 2015, 08:59 PM) *

Prices:

Front Bucket Seal

Rear Housing Seal

Rear Lens Bead

Spoke,

When the seals come in, I'd be in for a complete set all the way around. Just let me now. Thanks
morgan_harwell
Howdy,

I would like to place my order in the queue.

Question about the Front Euro LEDs.
Are the Amber LEDs lit (on) when the TurnSignal is not engaged?

Front:
#2, Euro non-blanking LED

Rear:
#1, Red Brake LED
#3, Amber TurnSignal LED

Seals:
Front bucket seals: $12.50
Rear housing seals: $16.00
Rear lens beads: $5.00

Thanks,
--Moe--
Spoke
QUOTE(euro911 @ Feb 13 2015, 03:56 AM) *

Yes. I fill the bases with epoxy then install the handle. The epoxy locks the wires in place so they won't work loose from the base. The handles are in rock solid. So installation can be done with a pair of pliers or your fingers. Should make installation very easy.
Spoke
We had a bit of a hangup on the first rear LED boards. The assembly was done incorrectly on the first 18 boards. The boards cannot be reworked. Just thrown in the garbage. They are trashed. dry.gif

So there will be a delay on the rear boards until we make more. I will PM those for whom these boards were being built.

The fronts are coming along fine. Will be shipping out the first sets of fronts this week.
cary
QUOTE(Spoke @ Feb 13 2015, 02:40 PM) *

Yes. I fill the bases with epoxy then install the handle. The epoxy locks the wires in place so they won't work loose from the base. The handles are in rock solid. So installation can be done with a pair of pliers or your fingers. Should make installation very easy.

That will work ..................
It doesn't need to be very tall. Just enough to grab with fingers or pliers.
Spoke
QUOTE(cary @ Feb 14 2015, 01:18 AM) *

QUOTE(Spoke @ Feb 13 2015, 02:40 PM) *

That will work ..................
It doesn't need to be very tall. Just enough to grab with fingers or pliers.

The size was chosen from a long thin board we had laying around at work that I chopped up to make the handles. The board was about 1 inch wide.
cary
My new front LED boards have arrived. A beautiful thing ...............
They slipped right in. I already had new 914 Rubber seals. They had compressed into their new shape. So it was a little tight.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

cary
Lights, camera and action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ce8c-LQVxo0
Spoke
Looks good Cary. Are you using the stock 914 flasher or EP36 or other?

A couple of notes:

1) Great video. So glad to see the LEDs working with your flasher. Keep in mind that the LEDs are pointed directly towards the front and rear of the vehicle to maximizes the intensity of the LEDs towards the other vehicles on the road.

2) The early stock 914 flasher (with L & R dash indicators) seems to work fine if the dash indicators are rewired so the common wire normally from the K lug on the flasher are connected to ground. This little bit of resistive load seems to cause the flasher to flash normally with LEDs front and rear. My 914 is wired this way and the flasher will flash normally even with both front and rear lights removed. Another 914World member with LEDs front and rear got his early flasher to work only after rewiring the dash indicators.

3) I'm adding a 1k ohm resistor across the turnsignal wires on the front and rear boards to add at least a little bit of resistive signature to help flashers see the LED loads. Not sure how much this helps but it's easy to do.

4) Some folks had observed the tight intensity profile of the LEDs. We had been using 15 degree LEDs. For the amber turnsignals, we're now using 30 degree LEDs. The head-on intensity is less but the light pattern is wider. The red LEDs are only available in quantity in the 15 degree packages so we'll continue with the 15 degree red LEDs.
Spoke
QUOTE(morgan_harwell @ Feb 13 2015, 10:49 AM) *

Howdy,

I would like to place my order in the queue.

Question about the Front Euro LEDs.
Are the Amber LEDs lit (on) when the TurnSignal is not engaged?

Front:
#2, Euro non-blanking LED

Rear:
#1, Red Brake LED
#3, Amber TurnSignal LED

Seals:
Front bucket seals: $12.50
Rear housing seals: $16.00
Rear lens beads: $5.00

Thanks,
--Moe--

PM sent on the seals.

On the Euro versions with the white LEDS, the amber LEDs are currently not gently lit with the running lights. I've opted not to do this for fear the flasher would not work since the flasher would see no load below about 7V and may not flash. I'd be willing to try it for you if you're willing to test it out.

This could also be done on the rear US red turnsignals. This would provide the 914 with a wider running light profile. One 914world member had issues getting his flasher to flash with the turnsignal LEDs gently lit with the running lights on.
cary
I have both the EP36 flasher and have wired both the flasher lamps to the common.
Cairo94507
Spoke- I like the idea of having the lights gently lit with the running lights - especially in the rear where it gives a wider profile. Great idea.
GermermanCarGuy
[QUOTE] Spoke- I like the idea of having the lights gently lit with the running lights - especially in the rear where it gives a wider profile. Great idea. [QUOTE]

Concur. It's all about visibility.
Spoke
QUOTE(GermermanCarGuy @ Feb 24 2015, 09:46 AM) *

Spoke- I like the idea of having the lights gently lit with the running lights - especially in the rear where it gives a wider profile. Great idea.

Rob,

I can make this change to your boards. Let me know.

As soon as someone requests this function (amber lights on gently with white running lights on) I will take a video of it in action.
GermermanCarGuy
QUOTE(Spoke @ Feb 25 2015, 05:41 AM) *

QUOTE(GermermanCarGuy @ Feb 24 2015, 09:46 AM) *

Rob,

I can make this change to your boards. Let me know.

As soon as someone requests this function (amber lights on gently with white running lights on) I will take a video of it in action.

Rears only, please. I'll be okay with the fronts as is.

Thanks again.
morgan_harwell
>On the Euro versions with the white LEDS, the amber LEDs are currently not gently lit with the running lights. I've opted not to do this for fear the flasher would not work since the flasher would see no load below about 7V and may not flash. I'd be willing to try it for you if you're willing to test it out.

>As soon as someone requests this function (amber lights on gently with white running lights on) I will take a video of it in action.

If you can do this easily, I am interested, even if it costs me an extra $10.

Thanks,
--Moe--
type47fan
Hi Mr. Wizard,

Front pair only, Option 3,

Euro Version-w/Blanking:

$140.00 front euro kit
$ 12.50 (front bucket seals)
$ 16.00 (rear housing seals)
$ 5.00 (rear lens beads)
$ 10.00 shipping

$183.50 Total

Thanks!

Watch this space . . . .

Click to view attachment
abnrdo
Spoke, cant wait to get mine! No rush, just want you to know that I am really looking forward to your product!

beerchug.gif
914four
I am interested in a full set of the US version (front and back). I'm unclear if you are able to provide the running lights gently on or not but would like this option if it is available.

Kelvin
Steve Snyder
Got my fronts and rear brakes installed this morning. What a difference! Absolutely a must for safety.
racerbvd
Are you open to any trades for a few complete sets??
Spoke
QUOTE(racerbvd @ Mar 5 2015, 11:16 PM) *

Are you open to any trades for a few complete sets??

An old wise man once told me "everything in this world is negotiable".

PM sent.
eric9144
Purists and CW's rejoice, this is a 100% non-intrusive upgrade that every owner should consider if funds are available. Totally plug and play...

Damn I am happy with the results!! THANK YOU JERRY! first.gif
Spoke
I want to thank all those who purchased LED lights. We're having fun making these and I hope they met and exceeded your expectations. More than that I hope they keep you safe while tooling around in your 914.

This is the last call for LEDs if interested. We have a few board sets in progress and a couple of sets left over. I'll be in Hershey with a couple of sets as well as a couple of sets of 911 brake LEDs. The remainder not sold will probably end up on ebay.

Thanks again! beerchug.gif

We're going to be doing some 911 brake and (I hope) rear turnsignal LEDs next. I made a video of how to replace the 911 brake lights. Took just about 3 minutes for one side including removing and replacing the lens. These are non-invasive and plug-n-play like the 914 LEDs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Tmt1igbiWM

Check out how wild these 911 rear turnsignal boards are. There's LEDs pointing in all directions. One thing I'm changing about the 911 rear turnsignal is the LEDs will be on gently with the running lights. This will give the 911 a much larger visual footprint at night. Now only the little brake lights are on gently. I just ordered a couple of these boards to try them out on my car.

Click to view attachment
Big Len
I would like to see them in action at Hershey.
Gary
OK, I'm in for a set F/R:

US Amber fronts
Red/Red Tail/Brake on rears

Also up for seals F/R.

Would like "gently lit" running lights out back. Didn't catch in the thread if available with the amber fronts, but up for that if so.

Thanks!
abes914
i am in for a set of regular rear lights (brakes and parking lights only) please. i'll send paypal when i get home
thanks
SKL1
Any rear sets left? Would be interested in 2 sets, one for a '71 and another for a '73... TIA.
JmuRiz
I never noticed the "last call" listed in the subtitle.

Can I still get in?
Fell off my radar with my car apart for the last 2 years.

-Front euro with running light blanking
-Rear USA lenses
Spoke
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Apr 5 2015, 03:50 PM) *

I never noticed the "last call" listed in the subtitle.

Can I still get in?
Fell off my radar with my car apart for the last 2 years.

-Front euro with running light blanking
-Rear USA lenses

Yes, still have some front and rear board sets left. PM sent.
Spoke
QUOTE(Big Len @ Apr 4 2015, 05:16 PM) *

If I can get some electricity, I'll be able to light up the boards at the booth. There should be a couple of guys with their 914's with front and rear LED boards there.
mepstein
QUOTE(Spoke @ Apr 5 2015, 08:15 PM) *

QUOTE(Big Len @ Apr 4 2015, 05:16 PM) *

If I can get some electricity, I'll be able to light up the boards at the booth. There should be a couple of guys with their 914's with front and rear LED boards there.

Jerry- Like I said, your welcome to share my spot and since I want a set, you can always use my car as a demo. Mark
Cairo94507
OK, I placed my order for the euro fronts with the blanking option. I ordered the euro rear with the gentle on feature for additional lighting in the rear.

Excited to have the LED lighting add a whole new level of safety on my 44 year old car. piratenanner.gif
kid914
interested in front turn signal us version. now that I have my rear break ones... piratenanner.gif
Spoke
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Apr 6 2015, 09:21 PM) *

OK, I placed my order for the euro fronts with the blanking option. I ordered the euro rear with the gentle on feature for additional lighting in the rear.

Excited to have the LED lighting add a whole new level of safety on my 44 year old car. piratenanner.gif

To answer your question about a 3rd brake light interfering with LED brake lights. No not at all. Adding the 3rd brake light should be on the list of upgrades to all 914 owners. It's not hard to do and makes a world of difference to the rear visibility of these little cars.
moldygreg
I'd like to buy a complete rear US set with seals if available still.

Thanks
Greg
Shadowfax
QUOTE(moldygreg @ Apr 6 2015, 10:46 PM) *

I'd like to buy a complete rear US set with seals if available still.

Thanks
Greg

Same here if not too late. Would love to do the fronts too but budget is getting tight smile.gif
eric9144
If you're on the fence about this DO IT!

Our cars are small and frequently "unseen" by most of the checked out drivers on the road. The LED upgrades that Jerry makes make a HUGE difference in the visibility of the cars, so bright in fact, they can be seen during daylight.

Not a huge cost if it means people 'see' your car rather than hit it!
colingreene
id like some of these, what do you have left?
euro911
QUOTE(eric9144 @ Apr 7 2015, 08:58 AM) *
If you're on the fence about this DO IT!

Our cars are small and frequently "unseen" by most of the checked out drivers on the road. The LED upgrades that Jerry makes make a HUGE difference in the visibility of the cars, so bright in fact, they can be seen during daylight.

Not a huge cost if it means people 'see' your car rather than hit it!
agree.gif These cars aren't much larger than a big motorcycle and I highly recommend bright lighting on them.

Some idiot soccer-mom almost ran into the back of the 'BB' this morning mad.gif … guess I'd better get the rear LEDs installed pretty soon (while waiting for my fronts to arrive) idea.gif
Nozzle
Please put me down for a complete US set for front and rear with seals if they are still available.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.