Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CMS Wheels - Anyone use them?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
914forme
I been looking for light weight wheels, in 8" width for my 914. CMS will build wheels and Hoosier now has an A7 in 225/45-15. Bolt pattern is not an issue they will do 5x130. They also do 4x130. Backspacing is not infinite but then okay. The wheel I am looking at building will be ~$230 each.

Anybody use CMS wheels on an auto-x car / track car? They are used by the VW rail crowd, and off roaders but that is a different world than sticky tires on concrete! confused24.gif

CMS Bolt Togther Wheels.
jhadler
Autox/Track wheels will be a different animal than the off-road variety. You want LIGHT WEIGHT. And somehow I don't think the CMS wheels are engineered with that as the top priority.

I have a set of 15x8 Keizer wheels that are ridiculously light. And a set of custom steel racing wheels (Diamond brand) that are decidedly NOT light.

Weight and strength do not always go together though. If it's light, it's most likely not strong...

Why do I say this? Wheels like the Keizer are great for autox, but I wouldn't run them at the track. Going off course on an autox course will result in a time penalty most of the time, but the surface you drive over will not change. Going off, even two wheels, will result in uneven, abrubt surfaces. The Keizers I have are something less than 10 lbs each. That's STUPID light. But they are also fragile, and would not survive an off at the track, probably even curbing at a track would prove too much for them.

Cheap. Light. Strong. Pick any two, but you won't get all three...

-Josh
stownsen914
I'm not familiar with this brand, but they look promising. One thing to be careful of is brake cooling on a track car. These kind of wheels don't offer much ventilation for the brakes. Shouldn't be much of an issue for AX though.
Randal

http://www.realwheel.net/index.php
Borderline
QUOTE(Randal @ Jan 16 2015, 03:14 PM) *

Those are the guys that built my 13" wheels and did a set of 15" for Mikey. Very light very strong. They are a spun wheel....meaning they are not perfectly round like you would see on machined wheel. They wheel halves are welded together so there is no seal to leak. the center is then made with whatever bolt spacing and fitment you need. I think the prices are comparable. My 13' wheels were very reasonable. The 15" may be more expensive. fast turn around too! smile.gif
914forme
Thank you all, I'll keep them in mind.
PotterPorsche
Cms build good lightweight rims
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.