Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-4 Rear Pads
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Amenson
I am working on a 5 lug update on the Porsti and trying very hard to avoid going crazy with the brake upgrade at this step. One of the considerations is the abysmal pad selection for the rear callipers. I really like running Hawk HP Plus pads but can't find them for the rear. They are available for the 914-6 rear callipers but the dimensions are slightly different.

914-4 Rear
Click to view attachment

914-6 Rear
Click to view attachment

The callipers themselves are almost indistinguishable, is there some extra meat that I could remove from the -4 callipers to make the -6 pads work or could I modify the -6 pads to fit the -4 callipers? Is the pin spacing the same between the callipers?

Cheers,
Scott
Eric_Shea
You're pic is the common 911 rear D31 size. You won't be able to get it to work because of the "pin" locations, not the pad size itself. After all of the grinding and shaving and carcinogenic dust and bits in your lungs, your pins won't line up.

Look for FMSI D30.

If you can't find it for 914, look for the following:

1964/64 356 Rear
1965/68 911 Rear

All the same.
Amenson
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jan 16 2015, 10:58 AM) *

You're pic is the common 911 rear D31 size. You won't be able to get it to work because of the "pin" locations, not the pad size itself. After all of the grinding and shaving and carcinogenic dust and bits in your lungs, your pins won't line up.

Look for FMSI D30.

If you can't find it for 914, look for the following:

1964/64 356 Rear
1965/68 911 Rear

All the same.

Thanks for the info Eric. I called Hawk and they don't make anything in D30. Now I am going to have to buy a set of R4-S's from you. Hmmm, I am sensing a conspiracy idea.gif

From what I have been able to read about the R4-S compound, the initial bite is not super and they don't squeal like a stuck pig. I like the squealing because people who have no clue think that the car is going to fall apart and stay out of my way and the people who do have a clue tend to give a smirk of acknowledgement shades.gif and stay out of the way. On the plus side they should dust a whole lot less.

Cheers,
Scott

brant
My experience has been that the hawks work on heavier cars and are not great on light weight vehicles
Amenson
QUOTE(brant @ Jan 17 2015, 06:27 AM) *

My experience has been that the hawks work on heavier cars and are not great on light weight vehicles

I only had it on the track (Gratten) once with the HP+'s and had more than enough braking force with decent modulation. It is extraordinary easy to lock up the fronts on the street now.

What do you like to use on your 914 and why?
brant
KFP

Amazing rotor wear.
Great braking
I'm using golds/blues. But for the track
Amenson
QUOTE(brant @ Jan 17 2015, 07:21 AM) *

KFP

Amazing rotor wear.
Great braking
I'm using golds/blues. But for the track

I did some quick reading and they might be worth trying. Where did you find the rear pads...I could only find fronts?

Cheers,
Scott
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.