Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: grandpa got volunteered-again
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TheCabinetmaker
IPB Image
tdgray
Where's the flares biggrin.gif
PanelBilly
Shouldn't you use rusty nails? Can't beleive someone didn't beat me to it!
r_towle
Take the nails out and sand them using a drill......then graphite.

There are burrs on the nails that cause friction....
TheCabinetmaker
Nails (axles) were sanded then polished on the buffing wheel, as were the wheels.

Betty
So THAT's what became of the wood bumpers you had on your car...

biggrin.gif
Spoke
Looks great.

Although to be more realistic you need 4 more nails on the bottom to raise the wheels off the ground like jackstands. smile.gif
saigon71
That is a fine looking pinewood derby car. I hope it's as fast as it looks. beerchug.gif

Here is the one Dad & I built around 1984. After finding it in again in 2009, I had to buy the real thing:

Click to view attachment

TheCabinetmaker
The races are happening as I write this. They took it to registration and practice races last night. It was the car that everyone was checking out and beat all comers in the practice. Awards will be at about 2 pm. I'll post his standings after that.
TheCabinetmaker
28 entries in his division. He took home 3rd in both speed and appearance. Check the grin
SirAndy
smilie_pokal.gif
Mueller
Congrats on the race....

I let my neighbor who is a scout use my BP mill to fine tune his "axles" for his pine derby car.....I told him if we had the time I'd help him draw up and he could operate the mill to do some 3D profiling for the body!
tdgray
Good for him...miss those days.

When I was a kid my dad helped build cars...they were awesome...and fast...we got disqualified because my dad used 3 in 1 oil on the wheels...not in the rules but they did it anyway... Dad was so pissed we were never allowed to enter again.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.