Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is this what $40k buys you in a 914-6?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
raynekat
http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer..._6/1702892.html

Check out the pics.

Disappointing if this is what nearly $40k will buy you in a 914-6.
Seems more like $15k....maybe. blink.gif

Looking at buying either a nice 914 or 914-6, and prices vary wildly with condition.
Guess that's just the sign of the times....
mgp4591
"Ran when parked"... blink.gif
Tom_T
Hagerty says +/- $30k for a #4 Fair Condition DRIVABLE `71 -6

http://www.hagerty.com/valuationtools/HVT/...eport?vbe=62928

NADA says +/- $28k for low retail - again an actual running -6

http://www.nadaguides.com/Classic-Cars/197...or-Targa/Values

This supposed classic car dealer undoubtedly drunk.gif & smoke.gif too much in their youth &/or are screwy.gif

I think you're generous in $15k for that collection of dubious parts! huh.gif

... and not "ran when parked" .... but more like "ran when exploded!" dry.gif
sixnotfour
6k 914-6 10 years ago......Best of the litter,, 914-6..pick one while you can..
somd914
I'm still on my first cup of coffee this morning and not awake yet. Will have to check it out later because in my tired, semi-dreamy state I'm reading $40k for what looks like a restoration project lol-2.gif
EdwardBlume
Profit taking on the front end of the restoration. headbang.gif
Cairo94507
Boy...if that is a $40K Six, I am retiring early. lol-2.gif That car is a mess and needs a complete restoration. A lot of those parts look like trash. Granted it has the heat exchangers and at least one nice front turn signal lens.... and it has that ever elusive collapsable spare that my car is apparently missing. It is not the original engine, the front body VIN is missing from the passenger side headlight bucket, we do not know the actual VIN and they have not posted the COA to confirm anything. Without more detailed pictures that is a $10K car.
Hine62
If this -6 is worth $40k in parts, than my running -4 must be worth at least $20k drivable condition! driving.gif

With a new paint job I could get $40k!

Seriously though... these people must be reading the last couple of Excellence magazines and thinking 914's will soon explode in value.

hine62
914Sixer
Another DREAMER ! NO real Teener would pay that price knowing what is involved in the restoration.
rgalla9146
I love it when they know and provide a detailed history of the model. Maybe hoping the reader might not notice the condition of the car ?
The description is absolute poetry.
"some panel alignment necessary " !!!!!!! "primed for paint " !!!!!
It may not be 40k but is def 30K
Recent Ebay auctions say so.
I guess they just forgot the hell hole pics.
Two four cyl. steering columns and a nice early 4cyl. rear valence. 4cyl. washer bottle.
Slapped together for a photo session.
Hyman is a big dealer in antiques.
rudedude
"and even the original space-saver spare"
Tilly74
"Ran great and everything was there before the Riots in Ferguson, MO biggrin.gif "
Dave_Darling
Wow. OK, I know it's a dealer, and dealers often like to ask for the moon. And I know it's Hemmings, who like to concentrate on high-end ($$$$) stuff. But still!!

Let's see. Wrong steering column. Wrong rear bumper. The engine is from a 911, or at least the oil cooler is. Anyone spot any other high-$$ items that are just completely wrong on this? And it's a roller project, not a runner. For $40K.

Hey, put another $50K of parts and labor into it, and you'll have yourself a $60K 914-6. Sounds like a bargain to me, huh?

--DD
orthobiz
Also tiring to see ad after ad recapitulating the whole 914 story. Like the person viewing it knows nothing about it and needs to be educated by someone who knows even less about it!

Paul
Maltese Falcon
No shortage of verbage here in the history + lineage of the beloved 914.
I enjoyed the description of VW boss (the late Heinz Nordhoff) from the viewpoint of getting the 914 into reality:
"...The chairman of VW died paving the way for a new chairman who had no such loyalty to an old handshake agreement. " Ferry Porsche and Heinz must have had some interesting meetings over a hot brautwurst and a cold brewski beerchug.gif
Fast forward 4.5 decades to today , the 914 both 4's and 6's are hot property. Not to mention the cars with prominent racing history, it's a sellers market. I'd hedge my dollars into some of these cars before putting cash into a bank for 1% return.
Marty
mskala
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jan 17 2015, 12:54 PM) *

... Wrong rear bumper. ...
--DD

It's supposed to be a '71, so that bumper is okay.

However, they have 3 shift linkages, and none of them is from a 914-6. confused24.gif
relentless
Hey, this thing comes with a new clutch, halfshaft, and brake rotors! Only 5,280 other parts to source and you have one handy-dandy 914/6! You can brag to your friends you have the only $40K non-numbers matching project 914/6 on the planet!
pete000
Crispy critter !
Ansbacher
When are these lying, conniving, and unethical dealers realize they cannot post pics of the junk they are trying to sell?

Ansbacher
rgalla9146
Upon closer inspection.
Two body tags are removed. The aluminum tag right front trunk and the Karmann tag on drivers hinge post.
4 cyl tailshift trans ( '72 ? no boss for accel. bellcrank)
4 cyl harness on floor ( plugs at right for directional, wipers ) But.... fuse panel hanging from wires under dash ?
Is there a harness in the car ?
Various carpet pieces from later cars. Passenger door arm rest thingy from a '75-'76
Drivers seat is a pass. seat from a later car. Front lenses placed on fenders for photo session.
Both doors re-installed with shop hardware.
Ignition switch removed with BFH.
Muffler strap from a 911. ?
No oil pipe around engine
911 engine harness and fuel manifold on engine + no 6 oil cooler (Dave)
no engine tin
No 6 steering column or clamshell parts
gauge panel held in with hardware store screws
BUT......
Heat exchangers look damn good
Oil tank with real OE hoses.
CD unit and mount.
6 wiper switch and directional switch
It is a real six.
I say they'll get the money
SirAndy
QUOTE(raynekat @ Jan 17 2015, 12:02 AM) *
Is this what $40k buys you in a 914-6?

Asking price is not the same as selling price ...
shades.gif
mepstein
Some people are putting too much stock in serial numbers. It's a persons right to pay for what they want but ...
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Jan 17 2015, 01:49 PM) *

No shortage of verbage here in the history + lineage of the beloved 914.
I enjoyed the description of VW boss (the late Heinz Nordhoff) from the viewpoint of getting the 914 into reality:
"...The chairman of VW died paving the way for a new chairman who had no such loyalty to an old handshake agreement. " Ferry Porsche and Heinz must have had some interesting meetings over a hot brautwurst and a cold brewski beerchug.gif
Fast forward 4.5 decades to today , the 914 both 4's and 6's are hot property. Not to mention the cars with prominent racing history, it's a sellers market. I'd hedge my dollars into some of these cars before putting cash into a bank for 1% return.
Marty

I've read that before. I think it's in one of the 914 books that we all have on our shelves. Pretty much verbatim without crediting the author.

This could be a consignment. They pretty much start at double what they suspect they could get. There is one in Reno called Sport Haus. I think some of the locals put their cars up for sale because they can basically store it, inside in the showroom and never expect even an offer at their asking price.
Daiberl
"...though it still needs some panel alignment and a once-over before being ready for paint". Sure, just a once-over smile.gif I'm sure glad I bought mine for a lot less and I can drive it.
sixnotfour
It may not be 40k but is def 30K

they may have the tags or if it was euro it never had a windshield tag just the headlight bucket ...

agree.gif

time marches on ..

1976 3250 running almost perfect
1978 6500 same
1992 10000 GT flairs 2.0S engine plus og engine
1998 3500 rusty running
2006 6500 complete sun backed CA
somewhere in there 50K John Lowes GT project
various wrecked 914-6 under 1k
Krieger
So what would you guys pay, assuming the hell hole is in good shape? I say 15-18k
toolguy
With what is missing, at no price is it a $$$-wise smart purchase today. . the cost to source the missing real 6 parts, and then do a proper restoration will exceed the current market price. . . another reason why
a really nice Original Six is realistically priced at $80.000 these days.
I know that sounds unreasonably expensive to many, but if and when you try to collect the correct parts, and reconstruct a Real Six, you'll get the bigger picture. Many of the correct parts simply are not available any more.
sixnotfour
these guys wont pay...someone will though....who here has bought any of the eBay 914-6's ??? raise you're hand...

these are a bargain compared to early 911's...914-6 real Porsche in some eyes
r_towle
Like a 356, the question is what does a mint 914/6 sell for?
Take that price, subtract 40k in restoration costs and that is what the car is worth.
mepstein
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 18 2015, 07:15 PM) *

Take that price, subtract 40k in restoration costs and that is what the car is worth.

It would be very difficult to restore a 6 in rough condition for "only" $40k.
raynekat
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 18 2015, 04:38 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 18 2015, 07:15 PM) *

It would be very difficult to restore a 6 in rough condition for "only" $40k.

I totally agree.
The de-rusting and paint will be at least $25k.
This engine is locked up.
Rothsport will charge you at least $25k to go thru this engine totally.

Lot more to go after that....
carr914
It's a 911T Motor, there is no need or expenses involved to Spend $25k!
mepstein
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jan 18 2015, 09:19 PM) *

It's a 911T Motor, there is no need or expenses involved to Spend $25k!

If you want to not just rebuild the 6 motor but restore it to look factory new with all factory look finishes, it can be really expensive.
carr914
For $25K, you get a Lot of Machine work, Twin-Plugs, etc. A 914-6 or 911T Motor is as simple as a Porsche motor gets
raynekat
This motor was completely under water (as in salt water) and is locked up.

I think even for a lowly "T" motor, you could see a bunch of green backs being throw at it.
New P & C's, everything....I mean everything has been severely corroded on this motor, the carbs would need serious work, new distributor, etc. etc.
The list would go on and on.

I'd want to keep it numbers matching.

Up in our neck of the woods, the rebuild would be $20k minimum, likely more.
raynekat
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jan 18 2015, 06:57 PM) *

Yeah, that's a super nice car.

On the opposite end of the spectrum from this blue "U-boat."
carr914
QUOTE(raynekat @ Jan 18 2015, 10:31 PM) *

I think even for a lowly "T" motor, you could see a bunch of green backs being throw at it.
New P & C's, everything....I mean everything has been severely corroded on this motor, the carbs would need serious work, new distributor, etc. etc.

I didn't realize it had been in Salt Water - Throw it away & find another 914-6 Case
rick 918-S
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jan 19 2015, 06:09 AM) *

QUOTE(raynekat @ Jan 18 2015, 10:31 PM) *

I didn't realize it had been in Salt Water - Throw it away & find another 914-6 Case

If that's the case, the ad states it not the original engine. Deduct the cost of an engine from the price of the car and just look for another engine. Many 6's these days have lost their engines over time but still command a price based on their build sheet like the non original GT posted in the link for 85K. Still a 6 vin.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.