Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Auto Atlanta
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Snave007
Anybody have experience with Auto Atlanta's 914 engine rebuilds?
somd914
You won't find much love for AA around here. Do a search for AA (or Auto Atlanta) and draw your own conclusions...
pete000
Oh boy here we go !
carr914
ILBT

Run Forrest Run!
EdwardBlume
Do the search....
KELTY360
QUOTE(Snave007 @ Jan 17 2015, 01:49 PM) *

av-943.gif

Go Seahawks!!!
rfuerst911sc
They are the East Coast version of Motor Meister. You have been warned.
Firstcar
I had AA rebuild a '75 2.0 about 14 years ago - big mistake. it was almost a year before I finally got it back in the car. When under load it made a horrible clunking sound. Pulled the engine and I could actually rock the crank up and down in the case by grabbing the flywheel and front fan! Apparently nobody bothered to measure the case/bearings. I paid extra for "blueprinting" and balancing! When it arrived it was strpped to a cheap palet - no other protection and one of the valve covers was gone (some moron had used the valve cover bales to secure the strapping!) I know some have no issues with AA but I'd swear unless you know George personally or have something he wants you may as well be dealing with a Nigerian prince who has money to " transfer" out of your wallet. Please do yourself a favor - and stay away! There are plenty of reputable rebuilders on this site that will not sheeplove.gif you.
Dave_Darling
Talk to Brad Mayeur at 914 Ltd. He's only one state over from you, in East Peoria IL. He's been working on these cars since they were new, and he has always been a stand-up guy.

--DD
stevegm
QUOTE(Snave007 @ Jan 17 2015, 04:49 PM) *

Call John Forbes at Black Forest Racing in Denver, NC (near Charlotte). I think you will find his reputation for air-cooled engines to be excellent.
Mike Fitton
+1 on Brad Mayeur: http://914ltd.com/
GeorgeRud
Another thumbs up for Brad! He and Mike do all the work themselves and couldn't be nicer and more honest folks!
Dr Evil
+2 for Brad. A real stand up guy. smile.gif
shoguneagle
Totally agree with Dave and Mike. He is on of the few people who knows these cars and runs a business of integrity. Always love to do business with Brad. I guess this is Plus 3 Plus.
Jake Raby
Once upon a time George wanted us to set valve train geometry on a 914 build... It wasn't the first time I had to explain to a well known individual how to carry out this process....

Anyway, he sent the engine up (longblock) strapped onto the back of a Motorcycle... Yes, a motorcycle!

That was the last interaction I had with George.
orthobiz
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jan 17 2015, 08:19 PM) *

Talk to Brad Mayeur at 914 Ltd. He's only one state over from you, in East Peoria IL. He's been working on these cars since they were new, and he has always been a stand-up guy.

--DD

+4 on Brad!

Paul
MikeInMunich
Well, I guess that's about enough for a verdict. Poor George. It must suck to have a reputation like this. I wouldn't work with AA on a rebuild but I would assay that they are a good source to buy a lot of differnt products from. I've also had only good experience with Brad and Mike over at 914ltd. I've made several purchases from them. wavey.gif

M.i.M.
rfuerst911sc
" it must suck to have a reputation like this " he has no one to blame but himself. He has earned that reputation over many , many years. I have first hand experience with this ripoff artist.........buyer beware !
FourBlades
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Jan 17 2015, 09:11 PM) *

Once upon a time George wanted us to set valve train geometry on a 914 build... It wasn't the first time I had to explain to a well known individual how to carry out this process....

Anyway, he sent the engine up (longblock) strapped onto the back of a Motorcycle... Yes, a motorcycle!

That was the last interaction I had with George.

av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif
JStroud
QUOTE(rfuerst911sc @ Jan 18 2015, 05:05 AM) *

" it must suck to have a reputation like this " he has no one to blame but himself. He has earned that reputation over many , many years. I have first hand experience with this ripoff artist.........buyer beware !

My question has always been.....how does he stay in business with such a crappy reputation.......
Bleyseng
QUOTE(JStroud @ Jan 18 2015, 07:22 AM) *

My question has always been.....how does he stay in business with such a crappy reputation.......

Super High Prices for crappy parts
somd914
And the bashing continues... popcorn[1].gif
Dr Evil
QUOTE(JStroud @ Jan 18 2015, 10:22 AM) *

There are a lot of people that are not on the forums so they dont know. He gets it right at least some part of the time. Does he treat 911 guys differently?
r_towle
A friend in the northeast got a motor and tranny rebuilt by AA and he autocrossed it and did lots of track time, never had an issue for over ten years. he won a lot of FTD,s in a stock 2.0 liter.
He eventually moved to Texas and is racing down there, finally rebuilt the motor after about 15 years in service.
He beat that car hard, motor was fine.
DBCooper
QUOTE(somd914 @ Jan 18 2015, 07:46 AM) *

Huh, thinking about that, does relating your experience constitute "bashing"? It's kind of just a statement of fact.

Peashooter
I've bought stuff from AA over the years and have never had a problem. They shipped the wrong thing once, but it was fixed quickly with no fuss. I guess they have had their problems over the years, but AA does have a lot of parts that you just can't find elsewhere, and their website is a whole lot better than some others!
somd914
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Jan 18 2015, 05:44 PM) *

QUOTE(somd914 @ Jan 18 2015, 07:46 AM) *

Huh, thinking about that, does relating your experience constitute "bashing"? It's kind of just a statement of fact.

Got me there... hissyfit.gif
griffindoug
I cannot attest to AA builds, but I am currently working with Greg Aronson at FAT Performance in Orange CA, and he has been great to work with.

I made the mistake of finding someone local, who dropped my engine, tore it down completely and then QUIT.

FAT Performance was the only shop will to take on the job of sorting through all 5 tubs of parts, and doing the build. He and his team have been diligent about keeping me in the loop on the process and working with me and my budget. I would be happy to discuss my experiences in detail if you want. They have been in business for 43 years working on Type 1 and Type 4 motors, and I am sure a whole host of other things.

FAT Performance has really been a pleasure to work with and should have been hte place I went to first.

Best of luck to you.
Doug
DarrenG
I had some work done by Vee Village in KC (line bore, clean and mic crank). No issues. I wouldn't hesitate to have them put an engine together.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.