Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Steering column wiggle...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
falcor75
I've got some wiggle in the steering column, mostly toward the steering wheel end of the shaft. I've taken the whole column apart and figured I'd replace both bearings and the large metal clip.

My car is a '74 but the parts diagram doesnt show the upper bearing? Anyone got a part number for it? blink.gif
sixaddict
91434771100...One happened to be on my bench awaiting installation..>Amazing that I found it biggrin.gif

QUOTE(falcor75 @ Jan 18 2015, 02:30 AM) *

I've got some wiggle in the steering column, mostly toward the steering wheel end of the shaft. I've taken the whole column apart and figured I'd replace both bearings and the large metal clip.

My car is a '74 but the parts diagram doesnt show the upper bearing? Anyone got a part number for it? blink.gif

falcor75
Hmmm...is that bearing gold plated? The vendor here in Sweden that usually has good prices on most parts wants $300 for that bearing?
bdstone914
QUOTE(falcor75 @ Jan 18 2015, 05:51 AM) *

Hmmm...is that bearing gold plated? The vendor here in Sweden that usually has good prices on most parts wants $300 for that bearing?

Make sure it is the bearing that is bad and not the crush sleeve. I have a good bearing i just removed from a housing which you can have for the cost of postage. Usually it is just the crush sleeve. It is a 928 number. There have been a couple of recent threads of this subject.
Bruce
falcor75
Mine felt a bit notchy, I'll try cleaning it out with some brakecleaner and compressed air and then lube it up again before calling it dead.
If its dead I'll try my local SKF dealer to see if they have anything that could work. Thanks for offering your spare, 914world is awsome. smile.gif
falcor75
I cleaned my both bearings and lubed them up today and reinstalled them.
Sadly it seems that my problem isnt the bearing but the housing itself.

The wiggle is most evident in the up/down direction, much less in the left/right direction.
Could it be that previous owners has pulled themselves out of the car on the steering wheel with enough weight to damage the housing?
bdstone914
QUOTE(falcor75 @ Jan 23 2015, 08:44 AM) *

I cleaned my both bearings and lubed them up today and reinstalled them.
Sadly it seems that my problem isnt the bearing but the housing itself.

The wiggle is most evident in the up/down direction, much less in the left/right direction.
Could it be that previous owners has pulled themselves out of the car on the steering wheel with enough weight to damage the housing?

If the bearing seat is damaged i would think you would see a gap. I have spare housings.
Bruce
falcor75
I hope this link to a short video of the wiggle works, around the 20s mark is the best view of it. To me it looks like the whole bearing is moving which I guess means the housing is buggered?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3413880...9%2042%2014.mov
falcor75
Anyone with a second opinion? smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.